Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's retail employees are receiving raises between two and five percent this year, which is a smaller pay increase than Apple provided during the pandemic, reports Bloomberg. Annual raises are at about four percent on average, with the increases applying to retail employees and AppleCare technical support employees.

apple-store-palo-alto.jpg

Raises are provided alongside employee reviews, which are done in the fall. Last year, Apple was offering bigger raises of eight to 10 percent to combat labor shortages and employee unionization efforts, but as Bloomberg notes, unionization campaigns have not gained traction and wage growth in the United States is down.

Most of Apple's retail employees in the United States earn now $22 to $30 per hour, and are given restricted stock units valued at up to $2,000 annually.

Article Link: Apple Retail Employees Getting Smaller Raises of Approximately 4% in 2023

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple should do better, but this is a systemic problem across the board. Layoffs in the name of “economic headwinds” (with record profits).

Corporations are trying to remind workers that us peons are under their thumb after we got a little high and mighty for their tastes during COVID.

CapitalIdea

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2022
Tim is protecting Apple's Billions and his own hundreds of Million in salary, bonuses and stock options...

The CEO of a for-profit company prioritizing the financial health of the company itself as required by law for someone in his position? No way!

Now, explain to me, convincingly, why someone at the top end of the scale in the article deserves to make $62,400 annually for tapping on an iPad to ask someone in the back of the store to bring out the product I am picking up? And please justify it by also explaining why most of the time I end up knowing more about the product than they do. I worked retail as well, so any claims of elitism will be useless. I just want to know why people like yourself want to pretend these workers are out on street corners selling matchbooks to make ends meet.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Tim is protecting Apple's Billions and his own hundreds of Million in salary, bonuses and stock options...
Tim's cash compensation is $15,000,000 ($3 base + 12 bonus). The other 85 million is stock options. Compared to other CEOs, its quite minimal. Iger is making $27,000,000 + bonus. So while Tim is making a lot, "hundreds of million" is just not true.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
The CEO of a for-profit company prioritizing the financial health of the company itself as required by law for someone in his position? No way!

Now, explain to me, convincingly, why someone at the top end of the scale in the article deserves to make $62,400 annually for tapping on an iPad to ask someone in the back of the store to bring out the product I am picking up? And please justify it by also explaining why most of the time I end up knowing more about the product than they do. I worked retail as well, so any claims of elitism will be useless. I just want to know why people like yourself want to pretend these workers are out on street corners selling matchbooks to make ends meet.
Because they provide significant value for a massively valuable company, because people deserve living wages, and because cost of living makes that $60k not actually all that much money in at least most urban areas in the us.

forza1976

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Grand Haven MI
Tim's cash compensation is $15,000,000 ($3 base + 12 bonus). The other 85 million is stock options. Compared to other CEOs, its quite minimal. Iger is making $27,000,000 + bonus. So while Tim is making a lot, "hundreds of million" is just not true.
Looks like near 100M to me. When I calculate my yearly earnings (as well as how the IRS calculates it), stock and base all count. So he is making near 9 digits...

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Curious to know what the employees think they deserve when there's 30,000+ retail employees and do they expect part timers should get the same as full timers and should new employees get the same as employees who have been there longer? 😂😂
A raise that isnt a functional decrease because of inflation would probably be a good start

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
:confused: What is this law that requires for-profit companies to prioritize their financial health? I've never heard of such a law.
The term is fiduciary duty. In the 80’s under Reagan the Supreme Court interpreted this to be the primary function of issuing a Corporate Charter.

It was stealthy, nobody noticed, but that was when things officially changed in America.

Coincidently, until the Reagan administration Stock Buybacks were actually illegal as they were considered (as it factually is) stock price manipulation.

Attachments

• IMG_6266.png
    IMG_6266.png
    362.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_6267.png
    IMG_6267.png
    405.9 KB · Views: 139

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
The term is fiduciary duty. In the 80’s under Reagan the Supreme Court interpreted this to be the primary function of issuing a Corporate Charter.

It was stealthy, nobody noticed, but that was when things officially changed in America.

Coincidently, until the Reagan administration Stick Buybacks were actually illegal as they were considered (as it factually is) stock price manipulation.
Fiduciary duty is neither a law nor is it required that companies maximize profits for shareholders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.