Apple Retail Store Logos Gain Green Leaves in Celebration of Earth Day

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In celebration of Earth Day, which takes place on Sunday, April 22, Apple has started tweaking the logos of some of its retail stores with green leaf accents, in a departure from the usual uniformly white design.

[​IMG]
    Apple Orchard Road Store, Singapore (Images courtesy of Stanford Chong)

For example, Singapore's Apple Orchard Road store has already been updated with the green logo, as Apple gears up for its annual Earth Day celebrations at multiple retail locations around the world.

In typical fashion, Apple store staff are also encouraged to wear green shirts instead of their usual blue ones to promote the event. Apple may also be planning to hold a special Earth Day celebratory event at its Cupertino headquarters, as it has done in the past.

[​IMG]

Apple often uses Earth Day as a way to highlight its environmental efforts and reaffirm its commitment to recycling, renewable energy, and other initiatives. This year it is explicitly tying the event to its new GiveBack trade-in program, which offers customers credit and/or free recycling on old Apple devices, as well as a donation to Conservation International.

On Thursday, Apple published its environmental report outlining all of the improvements and changes that were implemented throughout 2017 and early 2018 to lessen the company's overall environmental impact.

In addition, Apple shared details on initiatives that support its goal of making its products using only recycled or renewable materials, and introduced a new iPhone disassembly robot named Daisy - an improved version of Liam, its first disassembly robot launched in 2016.

Also on Thursday, Apple Watch owners received a notification about an Earth Day activity challenge. If previous years are anything to go by, customers can expect more Earth Day-related goings-on from Apple over the coming days.

(Thanks, Stanford!)

Article Link: Apple Retail Store Logos Gain Green Leaves in Celebration of Earth Day

2. KPandian1 macrumors 6502

Even if it may be for the sole purpose of self-aggrandizement, Apple does more towards "Green" awareness in words and action than most companies, ending up being held to a higher standard and more criticism than any other company.

In a twisted way, that is GOOD!

3. drct macrumors newbie

drct

Apple should make their products more usable for a longer period of time if they are serious with this whole environmental-awareness-sustainable-etc-thing.

4. DeBeere macrumors newbie

Their iPhone 6 is four years old, a dinosaur in the tech world, yet still in use by many of my peers and others around the world.

Also their iPhone is not upgradeable due to its form factor, but are completely repairable, I've replaced screens, batteries, cameras, speakers and transplanted an entire iPhone to a new shell.

If people are serious about having an opinion, they should do some research first.

5. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Product Green, with money donated to the WWF or other charities. I'd like that, a green iPhone would look stunning (although a blue one would be my favourite).

6. krakman macrumors member

can't wait to see these green leaf accents... in the landfill after Earth day celebrations are over! I wonder how many years they will take to decompose?

7. Onexy macrumors regular

Onexy

They can spare a sticker but they still don't design the products to be repairable.
    Long living products are the best thing you can do for the earth.

8. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

But they're trying their hardest to make them not repairable. With screen replacements on the iPhone X, 8 and 8 Plus now preventing the ambient light sensor and True Tone from working in 11.3. Research

9. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

10. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

Apple refurbishes many of their own products and replaces the outer casings and glass screens when they do.

The glass and aluminum they replace are easily recyclable just like the cans and bottles that are recycled around the world every day.

In the United States, good luck finding an Android OEM that will replace your screen or battery while you wait.

True, Apple has the luxury of doing this because of the insane amount of profits they make. But they make these profits because they design and sell a product people around the world demand and consider a good value.

Apple’s leadership in being environmentally conscious provides a roadmap for other companies to follow.

And I say all this as someone who uses an iPhone 6S+ and a Samsung Galaxy S8+.

11. Takeo macrumors 6502a

Who says they’re not? You don’t have to buy the latest iPhone every year. I’m still using my almost 6 year old original iPhone 5. And previous iPhones I’ve handed down to others are still in use.

12. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

That logo looks like a Golden Delicious. I'm gettin hungry

13. ThunderSkunk, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018

ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Previous to the iPhone, I had an expensive phone from an Italian designer. It cost almost a hundred dollars, !, but lasted for a third of a century, working perfectly the entire time, before I put it back in its box and sold it for $400 on eBay. Objectively the best phone purchase I ever made.

And it looked damn good on my desk. And it never needed security updates. And was ergonomic and comfortable too. And the Ui was slick, clean, and instant. And it didn't bug me when I was busy or away doing other things. Come to think of it, there are a lot of days I miss the reliability of that phone.

A couple years ago I plugged in my grandmothers old Bakelite phone and put it on my desk at work. Picked up the receiver and got a dial tone, after what 75 years... That is one comfy phone.

14. Wanted797 macrumors 6502

Wanted797

Sort of like people who complain about iPhones being slowed down yet demanding phones last longer.

15. Falhófnir macrumors 68000

Falhófnir

That’s true they do have quite a few green initiatives, though in other ways they are still terrible (all the plastic wrap on new products). I know some people get off on peeling that plastic back on a new device but really it’s a pretty unnecessary and harmful piece of packaging.

16. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Nobody told you to stop using an older phone/Mac. Apple provides battery replacement as well. Of course, I doubt that you yourself want to keep your gadgets for longer period of time.

17. Marekul macrumors member

Not only for „earth“ as in environmentally but for society as a whole. Planned obsolescence is really holding back progress and wealth.

18. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Is it truly unnecessary? Imo that plastic is there to protect the screen and body, and to keep dust away, so users get that new shiny phone experience.

What unnecessary is other manufacturers putting their cables, earbuds, etc inside another plastic bag.

19. Falhófnir macrumors 68000

Falhófnir

I would say it is unnecessary, especially if the phone is tucked behind the literature packets, or the packaging for the Mac or iPad is designed to cradle the device more thoroughly. Alternatively it could be wrapped in a recyclable paper sleeve. The plastic just seems so wasteful to me. We’re going to have to try to start getting used to not using it, and things like this should be the first to go.

20. diipii macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what they want. Problem ??

21. litmag01 macrumors regular

litmag01

Totally agree. You could have also added that the Intel Tick-Tock model doesn't make anything easier for anyone (remember the comparably languid pace of the PowerPC life-cycle). This is also specially true where companies push you to buy the latest and greatest (Apple definitely guilty of this, too) to meet profit growth expectations.

22. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

I get the feeling changing the leaf to green on 420 may have to do with something besides earth day. They could have changed the leaf to green tomorrow for Earth day if they wanted to just do that.

23. Bacillus macrumors 68000

Bacillus

I don’t see any green T-shirts - but my eyes are wet all day from this unexpected level of benevolence.

24. GrumpyMom Suspended

GrumpyMom

Hmm...that could explain Craig’s interesting announcement of High Sierra and the um...”relaxed” pace of Mac hardware Upgrades.

25. tipoo macrumors 6502

Nothing says green like one day use plastic cowlings and t-shirts :p

But, Apple does make huge efforts there, not knocking them.