Apple Retail Stores Experiencing Computer Downtime, Personal Pickup Affected

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Customers at Apple Stores around the country are running into problems attempting to pick up ordered merchandise and make purchases, as Apple's retail stores appear to be experiencing a system-wide outage that is preventing the store from making some sales.

We have received quite a few tips from readers and additional complaints on Twitter indicate that the issue is widespread and affecting quite a few Apple customers. Part of the outage includes Personal Pickup, which means people have been unable to collect ordered Retina iPad minis in stores.

[​IMG]

The issue has been ongoing for at nearly two hours now, and according to one customer, an Apple employee claimed that every Apple store in the country was down. At some stores, however, Apple employees are able to make standard sales by hand writing receipts.

It is unclear what the issue is, but Apple is likely working to bring its point of sale system back online as soon as possible.

Update 12:20 PM: One user who had reported the issue to MacRumors has followed up to say that he has received a call from his Apple retail store notifying him that systems are back up and running.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores Experiencing Computer Downtime, Personal Pickup Affected

2. darkslide29 macrumors 65816

Well, that decides it. I guess I will patiently wait for my iPad Mini to arrive in the mail after all - instead of picking one up in-store, and returning the other.

3. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Sounds like a serious bug.

Perhaps it is a malicious attack? Either way I would hope they implement a "lower tech" POS system for this type of issue in the future.

A bunch of lost potential revenue right there.

4. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

5. troop231 macrumors 603

Another good example to not rely on 'cloud' technologies so much.

6. Bare macrumors regular

First they hack Macrumors so that they can hack Apple! Way to go, Macrumors...

7. jschu22 macrumors regular

I literally ordered an AT&T mini just before reading this story. Oh this should be a fun wait, considering I'm such an incredibly patient person.

8. BlueParadox macrumors 6502

Yeah, trying the same thing, but cannot locate a white 128GB wifi-only model on Apple (or anywhere). Will probably wait the 5-10 business days for my online order.

9. gooostovo macrumors newbie

gooostovo

They should just grab a few Square readers off the shelf and use the Square POS on those iPhones and iPads.

10. TrashCanBin macrumors regular

11. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

I can confirm. I was at the Apple store at Washington Sq. Mall here in Portland to pick up my Retina Mini and the system was down and they had to do a manual from. Had a long line outside waiting to buy iPhones also.

12. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

13. TimeSquareDesi macrumors 6502

TimeSquareDesi

All this cloud-reliance disgusts me. You have the clearly evident single-point-of-failure problem yet everyone continues to dump all their personal stuff in the cloud for companies to sift through and harvest your data to make money with.

But this is what the world has become. You get convenience at the cost of your privacy.

/rant

14. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

likely?

pretty sure the word "likely" is a bit of an understatement...;)

15. xmaseve macrumors regular

I agree with this 100% and at one time stopped using cloud services. Then I realized something. Even if I don't put my own info on the cloud, all the companies I deal with do it for me without my permission/knowledge. No matter what, we don't really have any ability to keep our info off of the cloud because we aren't the ones always putting there in the first place. Very worrisome indeed.

16. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

welcome to the Middle Ages :rolleyes:

17. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

It happens to the best of them. The world will continue on. ;)

18. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Like the attack on MacRumors lately, I believe it's a malicious attack on Apple.

19. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Wish this was posted earlier. :( I went to the Phesant Lane Mall NH store to pick up my rMini at 1 PM, and I was turned away. They told me they don't have any estimate on when the systems will come back online.

20. thelink macrumors regular

thelink

21. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Except Square is not an enterprise product.

22. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

now : angry mobs accumulating outside :apple: stores around the world. the outcry is unprecedented

23. normang macrumors member

normang

What does the cloud have to do with Apple retail systems?

All Large Companies have redundancy, but depending on the specific problem, it can take time to switch to backup systems. I doubt we'll ever hear what happen, it will be fixed, and life goes on..

24. Pleasure macrumors newbie

Omg!

If Apple's systems are not perfect then certainly their products are not perfect. Being seen in public with a device that is not perfect will make me appear imperfect which I most certainly am NOT!

It is my veneer of perfection, and absolute intolerance of anything that is not both perfect and immediate, that allow me to ignore the fact that there are people without food and shelter right here in my city. Though blessedly not in my most excellent zip code!

Damn you Apple (and MacRumors) for damaging that veneer and forcing me to look at this inequality. You have pushed me on to a slippery slope. My toy collection will suffer because you have made me realize that I should be giving as much to help folks in need as I spend on my toys.

My life shall never be the same:mad:

(Full disclosure: I started this post on a lark, but it turned into a memo to self. I just replaced my iPad 2 with a shiny new Air that I wanted but did not need. I am sending Best Buy $50/month to pay for my new toy. None of my meager charitable giving goes to homeless and hungry folks. That will change as soon as finish this post. I would be deeply flattered if even one person imitated me.)

namaste