Apple Retail Stores Sporting Red Logos for World AIDS Day

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 1, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Over 400 Apple retail stores around the world have red logos today, in recognition of World AIDS Day. The logos, which Apple has put up at its stores for the last several years on December 1, are meant to raise awareness for the global fight against AIDS.

Earlier this week, Apple announced plans to donate $1 to partner charity (RED) for every Apple Pay purchase made at an Apple Store, on Apple.com, or through the Apple Store app as part of a World AIDS Day campaign. Apple has pledged to donate up to $1 million during the event, which will last until December 6.

Bank of America is also making a donation for every Apple Pay transaction made using its cards from December 1 to December 7, with plans to donate up to $1 million.

[​IMG]

In addition to its Apple Pay promotion, Apple has released several new PRODUCT(RED) items over the course of the last month, including an iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case, an iPhone SE case, a Beats Pill+ Portable Speaker, and Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones. Throughout the year, a portion of the proceeds from PRODUCT(RED) sales goes to The Global Fund to put a stop to AIDS.

Several App Store apps are also offering limited-edition custom (RED) content for World AIDS Day, and all in-app purchase proceeds will be donated. Participating apps include popular titles like Best Fiends, Boom Beach, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush Jelly Saga, Farm Heroes Saga, PewDiePie's Tuber Simulator, Hay Day, Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and more.

The (RED) initiative has raised more than $365 million to date to stop AIDS in Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Rwanda, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, and Zambia. Funds raised by (RED) are donated to The Global Fund, a group that works to end AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria as epidemics.

Apple is one of (RED)'s biggest contributors and has donated nearly $120 million over the last 10 years.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores Sporting Red Logos for World AIDS Day

2. reguy3 macrumors newbie

reguy3

I've been meaning to pick up a (RED) case for my phone for a while now. I guess today will be the day!

Now to decide between silicone or leather...

3. O and A macrumors regular

Always wondered if they accomplish this with RGB that are already in there or if they install a filter on the logo for one day.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Sporting my Product Red sports band for my
    Stainless Watch.

5. pika2000 macrumors 601

In before the toxic comments about Tim Cook.

6. 576316 macrumors 601

I don't think they really push the whole Product (Red) thing outside of the US. My local store has never really had a red logo change, as far as I can remember. I think they turned it green once for their eco drive.

But then, it's a relatively small and insignificant branch.

7. Porco, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016

Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Because my Username/Avatar is what it is (Porco Rosso), I am red all day every day. And if people want to take that as me being supportive towards people with AIDS, that's fine by me.

I'm glad Apple do all the (Product) Red stuff, regardless of what money it does or doesn't raise - they don't have to do it, and whilst one can make the cynical argument that they only do it to makes themselves look good, well a) I don't think Apple are often accused of doing what people want purely to please the people rather than Apple, especially lately(!) and b) Even if they do, so what?! The messages transcends their motivation.

Probably just the R! ;)

8. Klae17 macrumors 65816

Klae17

Ironic that you are the first toxic comment about Tim Cook.

9. PbLondon macrumors newbie

Well done Apple!
    I think it is a great that Apple take the lead on this issue and wish more companies would put their weight behind a good cause and use the muscle fort the greater good!

10. satchmo macrumors 68000

Oh sure Tim, make the store logo red, but disable the glowing logo on Macbooks!...just kidding...:D
    I think the non-lit MB actually looks more mature and dare I say it, pro-like. :)

11. adamneer macrumors 6502

Is "World AIDS Day" really the best they could come up with? Wouldn't the word "awareness" be good to fit in there somewhere?

12. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

13. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

Wonder what they'll hang for earth day and aids day when they've removed all light up apple signs?
    Jony Ive's new design seemingly deletes all branding of stores ...

14. Creepitor macrumors regular

On personal experiences, I found out the Silicone cases aren't durable, snapping your phone a few times in & out is damagung the case pretty badly, it's likely going to chip off, my friends one also broke a few days ago, just by popping the case of the phone he lost a whole volume rocker (from the case itself) at the side, now there's just a hole and a nude volume button.
    The Silicone Case has an unseen vivid shade of red, so it's great to show off and your phone will be pretty attractive, also have to say the Leather Case in PRODUCT(RED) ages beautifully over time, the borders will darken and the more it ages, the more premium it looks like (in my opnion at least). The Leather ones are also more flexible so less likely to break or whatever, although I guess the Silicone Case offers just a little bit more of protection and grip over the Leather Case. I wouldn't look at the $5 difference cuz these are totally diffirent cases with their own pro's and con's, I'm sure you'll like one more over the other, make sure to enjoy the one you pick!

15. Taisiya macrumors regular

there is no such thing as white apples in nature.(correct me if I'm wrong) It's mostly red and green or a mix of the two colors. Definitely not the white apple in Apple's logo.

I've never been able to understand why Apple's logo hasn't always been red. Is it to avoid being called the Snow White Apple company?

16. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Wearing my product red sport band

Attached Files:

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Nice. Is that the Space Gray or Space Black?

18. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

How does wearing your red sport band or using your red iPhone case help cure AIDS? Don't they want you to go buy something new so you are donating?

19. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Anybody else read this like:
    305BF1AA-A878-485C-A48D-523D737375CA-2908-00000601ED6981FC_tmp.gif

20. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

space gray :cool:

21. mauka macrumors member

mauka

I wonder if the rainbow apple logo will be seen again?

22. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    This is the only time I see the iPods get any sort of marketing or promotion at all.

23. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

Wish they gave free Rusty's cream filled chocolate donuts for AIDS awareness.

24. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

"Over 400 Apple retail stores around the world have red logos today, in recognition of World AIDS Day. The logos, which Apple has put up at its stores for the last several years on December 1, are meant to raise awareness for the global fight against AIDS.

Earlier this week, Apple announced plans to donate $1 to partner charity (RED) for every Apple Pay purchase made at an Apple Store, on Apple.com, or through the Apple Store app as part of a World AIDS Day campaign. Apple has pledged to donate up to $1 million during the event, which will last until December 6."

Good work.

25. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

All I have to do is put on a red shirt for 1 day a year and that will help cure AIDS??? Nice. Awareness rules! My pink ribbon on my car is also helping to cure cancer. I love being aware!

/s