Apple Reveals All-New 'Super Mario Run' Game Coming to iOS [Updated]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 7, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Today at its September 7 media event, Apple announced a new Mario game is coming to iOS, called "Super Mario Run." In the game, Mario runs to the right, and users can tap to make Mario jump.

[​IMG]

Later levels will introduce blocks that change Mario's direction as well as other more intense obstacles that require precision timing, but the goal remains simple - collect as many coins as you can and get to the flagpole at the end of the level before time runs out.
    All the while, users can play the game one-handed. There are a few other modes too, including a battle mode called "Toad Rally," which lets users compete against the ghosts of friends and strangers around the world and beat their high score.

Victory in battle mode depends on the number of coins you collect and the number of toads you impress, since the toad characters appear on screen every time you perform a daring move. There's no flagpole in battle mode, so the player keeps running until time runs out. The ghost appears in the level to show the player what the person they're competing against was doing when they ran the same level to achieve their score.

If players are victorious, toads they've collected become residents of their very own mushroom kingdom, enabling players to customize their kingdom using the coins and toads they collected in the game. The "father" of Mario, Shigeru Minamoto, spoke at the Apple event about his latest creation:
    No further details about the price were revealed, but Shigeru Minamoto confirmed that the game would not be free-to-play, and come with a one-time, set price point. The game is expected to launch sometime this holiday season, and Nintendo is also launching a Super Mario sticker pack for iOS 10.

Update: It was discovered earlier today that Apple is trying out a new "Notify" system with Super Mario Run, where the App Store will let players know when the game becomes available to download.

[​IMG]

Article Link: Apple Reveals All-New 'Super Mario Run' Game Coming to iOS [Updated]

2. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

--- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    This is INSANITY!!! I'm so super pumped and am so happy to finally see Nintendo as a whole embrace mobile devices so we can see their great properties on them.

3. 0098386 Suspended

Sonic Jump and Mario Run. An interesting inverted world we're living in!

Might get this. Be a nice compliment to Mario World and 3D Land on my 3DS

4. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Nintendo and Apple belong together. It just feels right.

5. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

6. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

Just wow! Was not expecting that. Now with Pikachu and Mario, all we need is Zelda :D

7. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

Love it! One-time pricing is a relief & hopefully a sign of what's to come from everything nintendo on iOS.

8. 0098386 Suspended

Not really, on first glance it's nothing too exciting or interesting. It's a tried and tested genre. But yeah if you want to play proper Marios the 3DS is an amazing choice. Plays all the old titles, and new ones. Compared to the price of these phones they're cheap too.

9. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

or get an emulator lol

10. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

Their recent Wii console and Wii U controller upgrade pack do look like something Apple would design. :eek:

11. H.Finch, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

H.Finch macrumors regular

Awesome, finally... Here's hoping for Ocarina of Time...

12. 0098386 Suspended

If you want. I'm all for devs getting paid for their work. And, those new Marios aren't emulated yet.

13. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

They got Miyamoto on stage. This by itself is a huge endorsement by Nintendo. Miyamoto is a living legend among video game designers.

Shigeru Miyamoto games include: Mario, Donkey Kong, Legend of Zelda, Star Fox, Super Mario Bros.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    I hope Nintendo brings these games to macOS too. At the very least it will help spark a small boom in "casual Mac gaming".

14. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

Super Mario Angry Flappy Crush

Available later this year.

15. B4U macrumors 68010

B4U

Automatically run to the right and jumps when the player tap the screen?
    Feels like the chrome offline game?

16. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Hopefully the "But what about Mario?" bitching and moaning will stop now that seemingly pops up every time Nintendo mentions their mobile plans.

The Miitomo launch thread was just cringeworthy.

17. JTR555 macrumors regular

JTR555

18. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've been saying for years that Nintendo should have gone all-in with Apple on mobile (maybe even TV) gaming, so while this is really late to the game, I'm optimistic it'll help the company survive.

That said, I can't stand endless runners, so I have zero interest in this game. Give me a carefully-crafted platformer experience, though, and I'm all over that.

19. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

True platformers are better suited to a Mac/PC, or even the TVOS. They would be clunky controlled on a touchscreen mobile, that's why endless runners are everywhere on mobile because the runners require simpler controls/movement.

20. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

Hmm.. Am I the only one that's really disappointed? A damn one-tap running game like 1000 other games?

21. Mactendo macrumors 68000

Nintendo rocks! That was the most cheering part of the event :D

22. dan110 macrumors 6502a

dan110

23. BerMuc macrumors member

BerMuc

Should have bought some Nintendo stock this morning....

24. arkmannj macrumors 68000

arkmannj

I've been saying this for years ! :)
    I think Nintendo and Apple jointly should release an AppleTV/Nintendo Console.
    I won't happen, but that would still be awesome.

25. jamesnajera macrumors 6502

This is a milestone. I think with time, and trust Apple and Nintendo will eventually get to other iOS devices.