Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As expected, Apple today revealed a multitude of features coming to iOS 12 that will improve the user's digital health and "help you limit distractions." These features will be built into iOS 12 and feed back into a new area of the Settings app called "Screen Time," found under Do Not Disturb.

Beginning with a new Do Not Disturb during Bedtime feature, you'll now be able to "get a better night's sleep" by dimming the iPhone display and hiding all notifications until prompted in the morning. When enacted, DnD during Bedtime enhances the time and date to act as more of a bedside alarm clock as well.

ios-12-screen-time.jpg

In an effort to reduce interruptions, iOS 12 will give you more options for controlling how notifications are delivered as well. You can instantly manage notifications so they can be turned off completely or set them to be delivered directly to the Notification Center, bypassing the lock screen.

Over time, Siri will "intelligently make suggestions" to alter notifications based on your interactivity with these new granular controls and by judging how long it's been since you've opened or used an app. Notably, iOS 12 also introduces Grouped Notifications to iPhones and iPads, which Apple says will "make it easier to view and manage multiple notifications at once."

iOS-12-notifications-.jpg

In the new Screen Time settings, you will find a detailed daily and weekly Activity Report that breaks down device usage across categories of apps, how many notifications you receive, how often you pick up your device, and more. With App Limits, you can set a specific amount of time to be in an app, and a notification will warn you when time's almost up.

Screen Time is built for both individual users and families, allowing parents to see their kid's Activity Reports right from their own iOS device. Other parental controls include features like Downtime, to set a block of time to limit a child's iOS device usage, and the ability to choose specific apps that can be used during Downtime, like Books or Phone.
"In iOS 12, we're offering our users detailed information and tools to help them better understand and control the time they spend with apps and websites, how often they pick up their iPhone or iPad during the day and how they receive notifications," said Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering. "We first introduced parental controls for iPhone in 2008, and our team has worked thoughtfully over the years to add features to help parents manage their children's content. With Screen Time, these new tools are empowering users who want help managing their device time, and balancing the many things that are important to them."
Shifting from digital health features to a few augmented reality-focused updates, iOS 12 is updating Animoji with numerous overhauls this year. The big new addition is "Memoji" for iPhone X, where you can build your own personal Animoji character to look just like you and add in fun accessories like glasses and hats. Then, the Memoji can be used like normal Animoji in Messages, but also as a filter in FaceTime and video Messages.

Apple-iOS-12-Memoji.jpg

The existing set of Animoji is also expanding with Ghost, Koala, Tiger, and T-Rex, and all Animoji and Memoji characters now feature winks and "tongue detection" so that they can capture even more of your facial expressions.

iOS-12-Memoji.jpg

iOS 12's augmented reality features will be powered by the new "ARKit 2," enabling shared experiences, persistent AR experiences tied to a specific location, object detection and image tracking, and more that will make AR apps "even more dynamic." Apple worked with Pixar to create a new open file format, USDZ, so that it's easy to experience AR "nearly anywhere in iOS," ranging from apps like Messages to Safari, Mail, Files, News, and more.

Then there's Group FaceTime, which will enable audio and video chats with multiple people (up to 32) at the same time. Apple explains that participants can be added at any time, join later if the chat is still active, and choose to join using video or just audio from an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple Watch (for audio).

In other new app news, there's "Siri Shortcuts" which aims to help users build fully customizable workflows from third-party apps. In the app, you'll be able to customize Shortcuts by building a voice command that initiates the task, or use the UI of the app to simply tap your personal Shortcuts and begin the series of actions you have created.

ios-12-facetime-siri-photos.jpg

In Photos, Apple is making the app a bit more akin to Apple Music and Apple News with a "For You" tab that surfaces favorite moments in one place. A new sharing suggestions feature will make it easier to send photos and videos to friends, and iOS 12 will prompt friends who receive photos to share back any of their own that they took from the same trip or event. Otherwise, there's also improved search so you can combine multiple terms "to find just the right photos."

In general, Apple says that iOS 12 is "faster and more responsive" and has been designed to make everyday tasks much more streamlined. According to the company, the Camera launches up to 70 percent faster, the keyboard appears up to 50 percent faster and typing is more responsive, and apps launch up to twice as fast.

The company also promises that enhanced privacy and security "remain a top priority in iOS 12." For Safari, this means that Intelligent Tracking Prevention will block social media "Like" or "Share" buttons and comment widgets from tracking you without permission. The app will also automatically create, autofill, and store strong passwords when users create new online accounts and flags reused passwords to point out when you should be a bit more secure.

iOS-12-books-news-stocks.jpg

Below you'll find a list of a few other features coming to apps like Books, News, Wallet, and more in iOS 12:
- Apple Books is redesigned to make it easier to discover and enjoy books and audiobooks, and the Book Store tab makes it easy to explore new titles and browse the top charts, curated collections and special offers.
- Apple News is redesigned to make it easier to discover new channels and topics or jump straight to favorites, and on iPad, a new sidebar makes navigation even simpler.
- Stocks comes to iPad and illustrates how the market is moving with easy-to-understand quotes and high-quality news (pulled from Apple News).
- CarPlay adds support for third-party navigation apps displayed right on the car's dash -- joining music, messaging, calling and automaker apps.
- Voice Memos is now available on iPad and adds iCloud support to sync recordings and edits across devices. A new design makes it easier to capture, share and edit recordings.
- Siri translation expands to more than 40 language pairs and brings more knowledge of sports, celebrities, food and nutrition. Siri can also surface favorite photos by person, place, event, time and topic.
- Wallet on iPhone and Apple Watch adds support for student ID cards, making it more convenient to access everything on campus.
Apple says that iOS 12 will be available this fall as a free software update for the iPhone 5s and later, all iPad Air and iPad Pro models, iPad 5th generation and 6th generation, iPad mini 2 and later, and iPod touch 6th generation.

Article Link: Apple Reveals iOS 12 With Digital Health Features, Group FaceTime, Memoji, and More

Reactions: ConfusedChris

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Apple will also launch a new app called "Screen Time," offering deep insight into how you've been using your iPhone and iPad over the past week. You'll see things like longest continuous session, most used apps, after bedtime use, and how often the device is picked up.

I'm looking forward to Apple warning me that I don't use my iPhone enough. I use it to check email and receive phone calls and look at top news on Reddit when a work meeting goes long:

Fcxwbqf.jpeg

Wish this feature came to MacOS where 99.9% of my computing time is.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just give me the option to turn off notifications when I am on the phone watching YouTube or listening to Spotify. I don’t want alerts interrupting my music.
Seems like temporary Do Not Disturb would be fitting there. Perhaps they might have it tied to app use in some fashion given that they are expanding abilities related to that kind of thing.

Reactions: SilverStreakRay

hourglass111

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Ohio Valley
I'm looking forward to Apple warning me that I don't use my iPhone enough. I use it to check email and receive phone calls and look at top news on Reddit when a work meeting goes long:

Wish this feature came to MacOS where 99.9% of my computing time is.

I concur. But in the meantime, if you want something that approximates this for macOS, you might check out the app Rescuetime. I’ve been using it for years to achieve an overview of insight.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
FINALLY, grouped notifications!
It's kind of sad this is only now being introduced; and introduced as a feature to roaring applause, no less.

It used to be there but apple took it away! You used to have the option to group by app or not. So glad it’s coming back! I hate chronological notifications!

Reactions: SilverStreakRay

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Wow wow. Grouped notifications look great, and the screen time dashboards look fantastic. Some really insightful metrics on display. Sleek design for everything. I will love these features.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm interested to see how fine grained these controls are—especially when it comes to children. I sometimes struggle with looking through notifications in the morning, so it would be nice if during the week it could lock me out of notifications until 8am when I'm already at work. Would help me from being late some days, lol. Really though I just need to develop better discipline, and I've made advancements towards that with several apps that used to suck me in such as Instagram, Reddit, etc. YouTube still has a hold over me that I need to work on. I'm also a bit of a news junkie so it's difficult for me to not read headlines in the morning. Is there a podcast that collects all the news while we were sleeping in the U.S. and will play it for us in the morning? Would be great in the shower. I'd buy a BT waterproof speaker just for that, lol.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Those parental controls are a killer feature for parents.

I actually think he undersold this. It's absolutely HUGE, and once you get outside of the Silicon Valley hipster single person creative bubble, it's probably the #1 thing on today's keynote that will appeal to the rest of the world. It's something that I've been complaining about for years and years, especially given how you can turn off wifi in the house but that doesn't mean the kid won't figure out how to use the cell signal. Too bad it comes when my older kid turns 18, so we're pretty much aged out of the need for it.

newjerseydamo

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
FINALLY, grouped notifications!
It's kind of sad this is only now being introduced; and introduced as a feature to roaring applause, no less.
Actually, there used to be grouped notifications a few years back, then they disappeared.

They're just reintroducing an old feature as new.

Reactions: Marekul

j.moreno271

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2013
SO excited for Siri Shortcuts! Apple is pretty much giving us the luxury of improving Siri and letting it do what we want. No more waiting for them to update it with commands... I personally think this will allow it to better compete with Google and Amazon!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
These parental control report cards are really neat. I hate fighting with my daughter about iPad use (she is 4), so I just don't let her use the iPad. Maybe with these new controls she could finally get her own iPad for Christmas. The addictive nature is a real problem for little kids, and probably just as strong for teenagers. I'll have to deal with teens someday, so I'm glad Apple is working towards making my life easier down the road. I'm fortunate that I have time to wait for them to get it locked down because the idea of unrestricted smartphone access for teens horrifies me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.