Apple Reveals 'macOS High Sierra' With APFS, Metal 2, and Refinements to Safari and Other Apps

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Backing up your storage ( which I have 400gb ) to 'the cloud' is impractical- it's slow and will blow passed many people's monthly bandwidth allowance.

Also, security and reliability issues too.

Apple need to support local backups.

I doubt it. I bet they will be announcing a new cloud-based backup system which takes advantage of new APFS features.

Reactions: Lone Deranger

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
Meh. I haven't noticed much difference between Sierra and High Sierra in the hour or so I've been trying it out. I'll have to keep digging.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
Backing up your storage ( which I have 400gb ) to 'the cloud' is impractical- it's slow and will blow passed many people's monthly bandwidth allowance.

Also, security and reliability issues too.

Apple need to support local backups.
It should be easy to use APFS's snapshot and clone features to perform local backups from the command line. If Apple chooses not to implement a GUI to access those features, then I'm sure third-party developers will step in with software programs that will harness APFS's new backup features.

NapoleonIV

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Did anyone else notice how on the apple website they did not call it OS 10.13? Just macOS High Sierra.

steve333

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
I wanted to quit using icloud but when I try it says everything on my computer that's also in icloud would be trashed. Doesn't make sense to me

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Sounds like a Snow Leopard type upgrade! I think the Mac fans (including myself) should be happy about this WWDC, except that it seems the Mac mini is dead.

Hopefully a High Sierra hack will be coming soon for my Mac Pro. For once I'm excited about the new OS.
[doublepost=1496722622][/doublepost]
https://developer.apple.com/development-kit/external-graphics/
"macOS High Sierra brings support for external graphics processors to the Mac for the first time."
It's very cool, but once again they're placing all their bets on AMD with this OpenGL/CL stuff that I'm afraid will lose to Nvidia's CUDA and Microsoft's DirectX. And Apple has also been doing a horrible job keeping OpenGL up to date in OS X, so they've gotta change that.
[doublepost=1496722951][/doublepost]
I wanted to quit using icloud but when I try it says everything on my computer that's also in icloud would be trashed. Doesn't make sense to me
Exactly why I don't use iCloud with Photos and never did. With that kind of warning being the first thing I ever see, there's no way.
[doublepost=1496723112][/doublepost]
H.265 FINALLY.

HALLELUJAH.

I'm sure the forum will be pleased to hear that one of my main gripes is now resolved and I will shut up about it!

SWEET!

Glassed Silver:mac
Yeah, I specifically remember your complaints. Good that all the Mac apps will support it now, but I'm still sticking with VLC eternally for playing videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glassed Silver

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
This whole event got saved with egpu announcement ......as long as it's compatible with TB2, and the existing Mac Pro.....

This is huge potentially. If it's just on the new TB3 gear.....rubbish...

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
It's official best keynote ever. I got egpu support! My 2013 Mac Pro no longer sucks !

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Would have expected the News app to come to the Mac, long overdue in my opinion. Overall, pretty underwhelming. Underwhelming is the word I would use to sum up the whole Keynote.

iOS 11 has to be one of the laziest iOS updates I can remember. With the iPhone and iOS been 10 years old this year. You would have expected at least for iOS to have had a redesign/fresh look. Its the same look since iOS 7.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
This whole event got saved with egpu announcement ......as long as it's compatible with TB2, and the existing Mac Pro.....

This is huge potentially. If it's just on the new TB3 gear.....rubbish...
Yes. This is good news. But i wonder what the kit costs? Today I've got a PC with an NVidea GPU inside that I access with SSH. Kind of the something, an external GPU

The problem is that VERY few people program machine learning at the lowest level they use a library like Tensorflow to Teano or Keras and THOSE need to be changed to use Apple's new eGPU kit. That is not so likely to happen any time soon if ever.

What Apple REALLY NEEDS is a "Mac", not an iMac or MacBook or MacMini. Just a basic Mac with some card slots so users can drop in a GTX1080 or even a couple of them. The ML libraries are already set up to use CUDA

This work is mostly being do on Linux not because Linux is free but because the work is easier to do on Linux. Apple could change this and make the Mac the preferred platform.

It depends on if the eGPU kit is affordable and gets sold in large numbers

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yes. This is good news. But i wonder what the kit costs? Today I've got a PC with an NVidea GPU inside that I access with SSH. Kind of the something, an external GPU

The problem is that VERY few people program machine learning at the lowest level they use a library like Tensorflow to Teano or Keras and THOSE need to be changed to use Apple's new eGPU kit. That is not so likely to happen any time soon if ever.

What Apple REALLY NEEDS is a "Mac", not an iMac or MacBook or MacMini. Just a basic Mac with some card slots so users can drop in a GTX1080 or even a couple of them. The ML libraries are already set up to use CUDA

This work is mostly being do on Linux not because Linux is free but because the work is easier to do on Linux. Apple could change this and make the Mac the preferred platform.

It depends on if the eGPU kit is affordable and gets sold in large numbers
There are a number of kits out there, I use a Razer core. And with yesterdays news if I can hook that up to my Mac Pro 2013, with a GTX 1080ti, looking good again.

The core works flawlessly with my Intel Skull Canyon, really could not wait for a proper mini, the skull canyon kills it, and with a core attached it kill my Mac Pro....imac etc etc.

I agree. Apple needs a simple desktop.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
It should be easy to use APFS's snapshot and clone features to perform local backups from the command line. If Apple chooses not to implement a GUI to access those features, then I'm sure third-party developers will step in with software programs that will harness APFS's new backup features.
Yes a command line would provide an API for third parties. But - Apple should also be able to support existing time capsules as well. the backup doesn't need to be in the same format either. It's not as though you'll be booting from it.

Last edited:

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Um, really? That's it?

wow great i can hardly wait... yay... sigh

I thought Macs were going to be given more attention now? Guess not.
APFS (and presumably Metal 2, FWIW) at least represents a looooooot of under-the-hood work.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
Actually, no I wouldn't have. At this point there's really no reason for iOS and macOS to receive a redesigned interface.
iOS badly needs a redesigned notification center. Android's notification system is widely considered to be superior.

Martyimac

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Should I assume High Sierra won't work on a 2011 Mac Mini?
Finally, an answer, https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/06/anything-that-can-run-macos-sierra-can-also-run-macos-xxx/
[doublepost=1496761667][/doublepost]
I wonder what the published list of arbitrarily unsupported machines will include this time.

Will I have to junk another $3500 Mac Pro for the replacement that doesn't exist?
https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/06/anything-that-can-run-macos-sierra-can-also-run-macos-xxx/

Reactions: steve333

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I wonder what the published list of arbitrarily unsupported machines will include this time.

Will I have to junk another $3500 Mac Pro for the replacement that doesn't exist?
Sigh, it has already been stated that existing machine that supported by Sierra are also supported by High Sierra - if you're going to troll and lay flame bait then you really need to be a lot more effort into your game. Btw, stop bolding your whole post - it looks stupid and misses the point of what bold is supposed to be used for.

Martyimac

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Sigh, it has already been stated that existing machine that supported by Sierra are also supported by High Sierra - if you're going to troll and lay flame bait then you really need to be a lot more effort into your game. Btw, stop bolding your whole post - it looks stupid and misses the point of what bold is supposed to be used for.
Have you not had your coffee yet this morning?