Apple Reveals New Night Mode Photo Feature Exclusive to iPhone 11 Series

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 10, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and the iPhone 11 Max, all-new models that boast improved cameras, and specifically, a dramatic new Night Mode photo feature.

[​IMG]

Last year, Google introduced its impressive Night Sight camera mode, a software-based feature that allows users to take detailed pictures in dark environments using Google Pixel smartphones.

Apple's new Night Mode (not to be confused with the new Dark Mode interface option in iOS 13) is Apple's rejoinder to Google's Night Sight, and from the little we've seen so far, the results do look at least on par with the Pixel.

When using the camera app on any of Apple's 2019 iPhones, the new Night Mode feature comes on automatically when an indoor or outdoor scene is dark enough to warrant brightening, resulting in natural colors and reduced noise.

In short, new iPhone users should see an immediate improvement when shooting in low light environments, without having to adjust any exposure settings.

The all-new Ultra Wide and Wide cameras in Apple's latest iPhones offer several other advancements that photographers can look forward to. As always, stay tuned to MacRumors for a full hands-on preview of all the new features.

Article Link: Apple Reveals New Night Mode Photo Feature Exclusive to iPhone 11 Series

2. NickName99 macrumors 6502

NickName99

3. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Nice to see this (finally). Wonder why it took so long, I was really expecting it last year.

Apple should roll this out for the past several generations (Google, when they came up with this on the Pixel, rolled it out for all prior Pixels at the time).

4. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

5. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I'm glad they showed a real example. Yeah, you're going to lose a decent amount of clarity and a lot of dynamic range, but it's far better than a completely unusable photo. And their example photo does seem to be more of an extreme case. Respect for that.

6. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502a

Apple could easily enable this feature on their older models, this is purely a software feature since it’s been on androids now for a few years. Can’t tell me apples last couple generation chips can’t handle this process. But they won’t enable it since they won’t make money doing that

7. dynAdZ macrumors member

dynAdZ

"...exclusive..."

8. zekkragnos macrumors 6502a

zekkragnos

Seriously did you read the tittle or the article at all? Wow

9. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Did you read the title of this post? Exclusive.
    Maybe, maybe not. A lot of this has some really crazy real-time processing. I think they said it takes 9 photos all before they even snap the photos, and then a longer exposure, and weaves that all together using machine learning? Or was that for another mode?

10. avatar77 macrumors member

Sad but true. This kind of stuff really ticks off your customers, Apple. Fortunately, there are/will be third party apps that will do the same thing. Still not as good as having in the stock camera app.

11. zekkragnos macrumors 6502a

zekkragnos

Looks pretty sweet! Was looking forward to this!

Attached Files:

12. bydandie macrumors regular

bydandie

I'm disappointed in this, Google can do it across their entire lineup!

13. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

I read the title and the article. The title says it's exclusive to the 11 whereas the article says the feature turns on automatically for the new phones, which almost implies it might be coming to existing phones albeit in a non-automatic mode. So it appears I read the article more closely than you did my friend.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2019 ---
    Existing models can shoot fast bursts as well and the processing doesn't need to be real-time to be useful.

14. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

Google isn't in the business of selling phones when your data will make them way more money.

15. dynAdZ macrumors member

dynAdZ

According to apple.com unfortunately only possible with the newer phones due to utilization of the wide angle lense and the A13 chip.

16. adammusic macrumors 6502

adammusic

This is delayed tho right?
    Not coming out until later in the year

17. eugenijusr macrumors newbie

Night Sight works on the original Pixel released in 2016 (3 years ago).

18. bayelrey80 macrumors member

Yeah but the video is trash though, especially the sound. There's always gonna be some kind of compromise. I want to see how fast this process takes place because Night Mode on the Pixel takes up extra time between shots for post-processing.
    That's more for this "Photo Fusion" feature being released later in the year. Admittedly, the photo of the guy in the sweater demo'ing this looked crazy good.
    That's the Photo Fusion feature that's coming out later. Night Mode will be ready from the jump.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Yeah, nice advantage for something that’s been lacking with the iPhone camera for quite some time. This is something that I would be sold on, being low-light photos have been subpar for the iPhone traditionally.

20. CWallace macrumors 604

CWallace

You could always go third-party app. NeuralCam is getting strong reviews and it is only like $2.99 at the moment. I added it to my iPhone XS Max, though I have yet had a chance to try it.

21. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502a

It’s not a maybe, if 3 year old snapdragon chips, which have always underperformed compared to the a series chips, can have night mode, apple could have it on their last couple gen chips.

Apples marketing is just as big as their actual hardware, they know how to sell it and make the most money from it.
    Yea I’ve read a few different reviews on some camera apps, I don’t mess with night time photos much anyways and have been impressed with the low light quality of my xs max coming from my ip8+

22. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502a

Jmausmuc

They are only focusing on the camera on their website.

23. Audigy macrumors member

Audigy

So I can use Night(Sight) mode on my $400 Pixel 3a with a mid tier Snapdragon 670, and a now $600 iPhone XR with a 4 times faster SoC(A12) can't?

24. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502a

Makes sense right?

25. saudade macrumors 6502

saudade

Apple its a company, no the American Red Cross dude. Money talks