Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Along with naming its editorial picks for the top apps and games of 2021, Apple today shared charts for the most downloaded free and paid apps and games in the United States across 2021.

apple-top-apps-games-2020.jpg

The number one most downloaded free iPhone app was TikTok, followed by YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook. The top paid iPhone apps included Procreate Pocket, HotSchedules, The Wonder Weeks, and TouchRetouch.

Popular free iPad apps included Netflix, Disney+, and Zoom, while GoodNotes 5, Notability, Duet Display, and Procreate were popular paid iPad apps.

Top games on iPhone and iPad included Among Us!, Roblox, Project Makeover, Minecraft, and Heads Up. Apple this year also highlighted the top Apple Arcade games, which included The Oregon Trail, NBA 2K21, and Sneaky Sasquatch. Apple's top 10 lists for each category are listed below.

top-iphone-apps.jpg
iPhone
Top Free iPhone Apps
Top Paid iPhone Apps

Top Free iPhone Games
Top Paid iPhone Games

top-ipad-apps.jpg
iPad

Top Free iPad Apps
Top Paid iPad Apps

Top Free iPad Games
Top Paid iPad Games

apple-arcade-orange-feature.jpg
Apple Arcade

Top Apple Arcade Games:
The top charts can also be viewed in the Today section of the App Store on the iPhone and the iPad.

Article Link: Apple Reveals the Most Downloaded iOS Apps and Games of 2021

Reactions: amartinez1660

MJaP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
<removed due to me asking an utterly stupid and obvious question!>

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MacLawyer

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Congratulations Procreate. Well deserved!
Indeed. I find it really nice that amongst the millions of apps out there, the likes of Procreate, LumaFusion and Affinity Designer are there in the top 10s.

Long-ish comment:
I saw a 2hrs long YT video a couple of days ago where a guy explains how he used Procreate and LumaFusion to create a few seconds long hand drawn and edited animated piece… truly mind blowing.
He created:
  • an animated walk cycle of a robot character, classic 2D frame by frame on one document
  • a hand drawn large backplate on another
  • brought it all to LumaFusion and composited all there, added smoke layers, color correction and whatnot
  • worked around limitations by just capturing his iPad screen at times, example: made a “fly” by drawing a dark tiny circle and moved the layer erratically with his finger. Composited that capture on lumafusion.
The result:
69256441-808A-42F4-B609-E7FAF59E1914.png

Edit: link at a pertinent time stamp.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Great to see TouchRetouch still being a top paid app now. I bought this app more than 10 years ago and they never charged me another time.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
Macs will all be running IOS if they don't fix all bugs and memory leaks in Monterey.

For me personally this has to be the most hosed macOS ever released.

Catalina was awesome compared to Big Sur and even worse Monterey.

Just put IOS on all the Macs and make them touch screen and NO FILE SYSTEM. Save everything to the cloud.

Its going that way. everyone wants your data on their servers.

• Disagree
Reactions: CarAnalogy

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
There are NO App Store Editors, it's Tim, Phil, & Matt, making the picks on their own, simply from a NON-Technical, Marketing perspective !

I'm 100% convinced of that !

• Disagree
Reactions: SMacDuff

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Macs will all be running IOS if they don't fix all bugs and memory leaks in Monterey.

For me personally this has to be the most hosed macOS ever released.

Catalina was awesome compared to Big Sur and even worse Monterey.

Just put IOS on all the Macs and make them touch screen and NO FILE SYSTEM. Save everything to the cloud.

Its going that way. everyone wants your data on their servers.
Lol good one. Get an iPad, the Mac is not your world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.