Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
what next, knives forks and spoons that give you an electric shock unless you listen to an add mid meal

No, because you have to buy the knives, forks, and spoons first so that the people who make them can make a living.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I for one like some of these creative ways in which freemium developers can monetize their apps, and wasn't understanding Apple's initial resistance. If people don't like the way an app generates revenue, then they don't have to use those apps. It didn't make sense for Apple to reject these apps just because some people don't like them.

Why can't they just charge $.99 if they are out to make money and be done with it? Or why can't there be a $.49 category? There would be a lot less junk in the store. In app purchases for upgrading from a free version to unlock the full version I don't mind. That seems to be a good way to handle try-before-you-buy.

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
A shame, this could have been the start of a positive change in the industry away from freemium.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Interesting move by Apple. Must have been a lot of backlash from App developers to the new policy changes...

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
There is no dishonesty at all. Watching ads to get something free is common across many forms of media, and widely understood. TV, radio and websites all use adverts to allow them to operate without charging the customer, including the website you are viewing now: MacRumors.

I will, on occasion, click on the ads in the sidebars of MacRumors. Not because I’m remotely interested in what they’re advertising, but because I like the site and want to support them. I do this on almost every website I frequent (discriminating against the ads that are obviously going to download malware onto my machine, of course). There’s just something inherantly satisfying about making Google (sorta) pay MacRumors because I clicked on their Google Play ad that’s in the top-bar right now.

Boom. Chock up a few more cents to MacRumors.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I don't believe Apple reversed course here at all. What I believe happened is Apple merely pressed pause while they spent some time fully investigating the issues and the impact on the user experience. What Apple doesn't want is consumers to suffer a degraded experience because greedy developers are shovelling more and more ads into in-app experiences.

This is why I love Apple. They truly do care about us, our experiences, and they are not allowing others to leverage Apple platforms and technologies to exploit us. If I have paid 99 cents for an app, I do not want ads forced on me, I don't want IAP's everywhere, I have handed over a big chunk of my hard earned cash already an I should be treated with respect by the developer.

Apple's fanatical approach to caring for its users is why so many of us love the company and are loyal to its products and services.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Darn. Incentivized social sharing is annoying.

----------

I will, on occasion, click on the ads in the sidebars of MacRumors. Not because I’m remotely interested in what they’re advertising, but because I like the site and want to support them. I do this on almost every website I frequent (discriminating against the ads that are obviously going to download malware onto my machine, of course). There’s just something inherantly satisfying about making Google (sorta) pay MacRumors because I clicked on their Google Play ad that’s in the top-bar right now.

Boom. Chock up a few more cents to MacRumors.

Haha. Whenever I used to see those annoying Flash ads with a mosquito or something saying that I can win a free iPod, I used to click them all repeatedly then close my web browser as I'm about to leave.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I think apple should put free apps with any add ons in the paid apps category. These are demo apps not full free apps and should not be listed as free.

Apple needs to do something soon to stem the flow of app store manipulation and ratings which is now rife!

The thing that annoys me most that discourages me downloading is FREE apps that are basically demo versions with heavy, heavy charges for only part functionality like 2.99 for only a certain part of the app when the app is free but doesn't even do what it says without payment. This happens with games and utilities. When you add up all the add ons available you could buy competing apps for far less and get a better app. I prefer ad supported and paid to get rid of adverts as a better model, it's like this type of add-on app is infecting this area of the app market and overriding it.

Now I know you all will probably say well it's free and you only add what you want but the fully thought out app that is a fixed price is getting railroaded by the freemium add-on crap that really doesn't belong in that prime position.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
i rather watch a short ad and get in app credit than buying in app stuff.

----------

Developers have to make money or you wouldnt have good apps. Look at where the app store has come in 6 years. Apps were expensive and the free ones were bad at the start. Take away the money and the good talent will develop for something else...

then..they shouldn't make apps if they are gonna be like this...
better they charge upfront with no in app than inapp

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I dont think so anymore, maybe a few years ago yes. But now with all the freemium out there not many people are wanting to pay anythign up front.

And this is exactly why these apps should just be banned. Utter crap, ruining the entire store. Every time someone plays Candy Crush, we get just a little closer to proving Idiocracy is a documentary.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I dont think so anymore, maybe a few years ago yes. But now with all the freemium out there not many people are wanting to pay anythign up front.

Actually, when I see a game that costs a few bucks up front, has reasonably good ratings and no "In app purchases" badge, I'm more likely to buy it than to download a freemium game.

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Actually, when I see a game that costs a few bucks up front, has reasonably good ratings and no "In app purchases" badge, I'm more likely to buy it than to download a freemium game.

I would agree, but I don't think that is the norm. People want free to play...

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Well that didn't last long at all. I was hoping this was the start of a much needed change so this is disappointing news indeed.

Maybe it's disappointing to you but the game designers are probably happy. Don't like the in game ads don't click on it... seems pretty simple.

I'm not a huge fan of them myself but thought it was a bit bogus for apple to take the stance they did. Let the consumer decide what they do and don't want in a game.... IF they don't want them in the games they will eventually go away or the game won't do well.

----------

ads are bloody everywhere :(
Don't dl the particular game that is an issue for you.... Your non problem solved easily.

----------

Seriously, if you don't like freemium apps, avoid them. They're great revenue generators for those who develop them and hours of fun for those who like them.
You can't do that here on MR! Having a reasonable attitude won't get your far.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Developers have to make money or you wouldnt have good apps. Look at where the app store has come in 6 years. Apps were expensive and the free ones were bad at the start.

The free ones are still bad.

Many of the developers making money are doing so through very bad apps.

Deceiving people into downloading poorly made free apps in the mess that is the app store is far from being a sign that a developer is good. It only shows how people are easily fooled.

The app store is never going to be anywhere close to a decent source of content as long as they allow everyone and their mothers to become so-called "developers". Apple should restrict content and forbid anything that doesn't show a minimum degree of quality.

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
Well,
Apple AppStore quality isnt what it used to be anyways.
This is just another example.
There is a German "TV app" which costs 1,79€ and wants you to rate it with 5 stars to "unlock" and watch channels.
As a result it has a lot of 5 star reviews, which all when you read them look like this "ok. lets see if it works"...

The app is a scam and apple doesnt do anything about it.

Another interesting example is app quality itself. And I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs would be really angry about this , since under his management reliability, quality and reputation of the app store with its apps was very important. In fact they were so strict that they pulled apps from the app store back then, even when the developer seemed to be "innocent".

So here is the story:

A friend of mine had to send in his Samsung Galaxy to get it repaired.
So he got an iPhone from his uncle to use it in the mean time.
And he was like "wtf. the facebook app keeps crashing. It wont even open most of the time. What's the hype about iphone? I dont want this."

Yeah of course the facebook app sucked, and you can read that in the app reviews, but thats not an excuse (in the android world it would be) ... the point is that this wouldnt have happened in the past.
The app would ve been rejected and facebook would need to work 24/7 to please Apple and thus the customer who uses the app.

So Apple seems to go on quantity instead of quality. Maybe to show some of their typical charts for the next keynote which show a huuuge increase of downloads 1523x times more than in the previous year blablabla...

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
The good talent could make a good game and charge a reasonable amount of money up front.

I can agree with the first part. Good talent can make a good game. True.
But that doesn't mean that he will make any money. You see, people are skimpy, they don't want to pay 0.99$, 1.99$, etc. Most of them.

Why do you think we as developers go for freemium? It's way easier to make a game and sell it for some low bucks, than implementing iAds, videos, cross promotion, etc. Belive me, way easier.

But people don't want to buy stuff. Unless you got a ton of money to market your paid app. And most of us indie developers don't have that money. So we opt for freemium since our own users force us to.

I'm not happy by that either. But no way around it :(

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
There is no dishonesty at all. Watching ads to get something free is common across many forms of media, and widely understood. TV, radio and websites all use adverts to allow them to operate without charging the customer, including the website you are viewing now: MacRumors.

Adding them to games is even worse due to the interactive nature of games. There goes the immersion you were building! I'm a game developer (PC, console, mobile) and I couldn't put an advert that breaks immersion in my games. Ruins the "art" of it... I guess.

All other media you mentioned isn't as direct as games - TV you can just watch the DVD/Bluray, catch up on a streaming service or record with your own equipment and skip ads at your own leisure. You can easily block adverts from websites too. Importantly they're all passive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.