Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tezzainoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
When will the ACCC in Australia take on Apple for its blatant rip off of Australian Users

The Australia dollar has been way better than its US counterpart now for ages, yet Apple still charges $200 dollars more per machine than it does in the USA

This is an out and our rip off

stroker08

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
NZ is the worst

Our pricing in NZ is even worse! Taking local GST off the retail price and at the current NZD-USD exchange rate, we will pay USD$2205 for the top 27" iMac compared to $1999 $USD in the States.

Ah fooey!:mad:

Dillus

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Here in Germany, Apple will be asking 2049 Euros for the top-end 27-inch model. That's 2663 american dollars, a 664 dollar premium.

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
They gave us Canadians a break. Our prices dropped today to match American pricing.

Fantastic news for us!

----------

Here in Germany, Apple will be asking 2049 Euros for the top-end 27-inch model. That's 2663 american dollars, a 664 dollar premium.

Be happy that you live in a much nicer country with less crime and more attractive females. I would GLADLY pay $1000 premium on Apple products if I got to be surrounded bu hot German babes all the time.

er15

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
They gave us Canadians a break. Our prices dropped today to match American pricing.

Fantastic news for us!

----------

Be happy that you live in a much nicer country with less crime and more attractive females. I would GLADLY pay $1000 premium on Apple products if I got to be surrounded bu hot German babes all the time.

You can move there and pay the premium then...

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
When will the ACCC in Australia take on Apple for its blatant rip off of Australian Users

The Australia dollar has been way better than its US counterpart now for ages, yet Apple still charges $200 dollars more per machine than it does in the USA

This is an out and our rip off

Add 10% GST to the US Apple price of the 21" iMac and you get $1428.9, the EXACT price of the Australian one.
Learn to do basic math before you post on a forum.

I've even read this same crap on news sites reporting about the ACCC "investigation" of why Apple prices are so high. They call themselves journalists, and yet they don't know that Australian/European prices include sales tax/VAT while US prices don't. Ridiculous

Last edited:

Frossetto

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Guys, here in Brazil, the Apple store shows the following prices for the new iMacs/MacMini default settings: (converted from Real to American Dollar)

MacMini 2.5ghz Dual Core : $1250
MacMini 2.3ghz Quad Core: $1700
iMac 21,5"/ 2.7ghz : $3100
iMac 27"/ 2.9ghz : $4700

Seriously, this is ridiculous, I mean, Apple does have to pay Brazilian Taxes and take it Profit, but the previouly iMac entry level was $2000. Way expensive than US but come on, with the price of an iMac with default settings i can fly to US, buy a new entry iMac, an iPad mini, pay the taxes, come back to Brazil and will be cheaper.

I don't get Apple. Been waiting months to get a new iMac for iOS development and now I'll have to wait months to see a price cut.

Ben Simpsy

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
add 10% gst to the us apple price of the 21" imac and you get $1428.9, the exact price of the australian one.

I've even read this same crap on news sites reporting about the accc "investigation" of why apple prices are so high. They call themselves journalists, and yet they don't know that australian/european prices include sales tax/vat while us prices don't. Ridiculous

thank you finally someone gets it

nec207

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Guys, here in Brazil, the Apple store shows the following prices for the new iMacs/MacMini default settings: (converted from Real to American Dollar)

MacMini 2.5ghz Dual Core : $1250
MacMini 2.3ghz Quad Core: $1700
iMac 21,5"/ 2.7ghz : $3100
iMac 27"/ 2.9ghz : $4700

Seriously, this is ridiculous, I mean, Apple does have to pay Brazilian Taxes and take it Profit, but the previouly iMac entry level was $2000. Way expensive than US but come on, with the price of an iMac with default settings i can fly to US, buy a new entry iMac, an iPad mini, pay the taxes, come back to Brazil and will be cheaper.

I don't get Apple. Been waiting months to get a new iMac for iOS development and now I'll have to wait months to see a price cut.

I don't get ,where is that money going to and why so much more?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

Fantastic news for us!....

Whoa.... missed that... thank for pointing it out.

Guys, here in Brazil, the Apple store shows the following prices for the new iMacs/MacMini default settings: .....

Seriously, this is ridiculous, I mean, Apple does have to pay Brazilian Taxes and take it Profit, ....

Actually, and I may be wrong - so feel free to correct me, but I think most of that is import duty. Apple has had Foxconn build a factory in Brazil to build - iirc iPhones (or iPads) - because they could sell the devices for cheaper without the duty added even though the assembly costs are higher than at the factories in China.

So my guess is that much of that price is going towards the import duties.

t7own

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Hi, uk is just as bad

Base 27" is $2399 in uk when converted. Compared to $1799 in the US. So $600 or £375 more.

Also US can finance at 0% interest, uk is at 15% which adds another $200 over 1 year.

So $800 dollars more :mad:

nec207

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Hi, uk is just as bad

Base 27" is $2399 in uk when converted. Compared to $1799 in the US. So $600 or £375 more.

Also US can finance at 0% interest, uk is at 15% which adds another $200 over 1 year.

So $800 dollars more :mad:

The pound is way more than the US dollar . So 200 pounds can buy you a lot more than $200.

nagareru

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Lima, Peru
Well guys US store prices are excluding taxes, if you checkout with an american zip code the total tax for the quad core mac pro for example is about 220$ and that is a 2500$ machine, I expect the new iMac's tax to be a bit less than 200$ maybe 180$ so that is not really a 2k machine but a 2200$.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Well guys US store prices are excluding taxes, if you checkout with an american zip code the total tax for the quad core mac pro for example is about 220$ and that is a 2500$ machine, I expect the new iMac's tax to be a bit less than 200$ maybe 180$ so that is not really a 2k machine but a 2200$.

Unless you live in Oregon or New Hampshire.

Qutrit

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Same goes for canada.... $200 more expensive even thought the Canadian dollar is par with the American one

t7own

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
If you convert the US price and add the 20% VAT it's actually £150 more expensive. Still a kick in the teeth but not as bad as you are making out.

but america pay VAT -it's just called something else - I believe it's about 9%. So understand the point but maybe it makes it £300 more expensive.

Tezzainoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Add 10% GST to the US Apple price of the 21" iMac and you get $1428.9, the EXACT price of the Australian one.

I've even read this same crap on news sites reporting about the ACCC "investigation" of why Apple prices are so high. They call themselves journalists, and yet they don't know that Australian/European prices include sales tax/VAT while US prices don't. Ridiculous

Sorry to say your maths are not that good

1799 X 1.1 (10% loading) = 1978 not 1999

Now if all tax was calculated at a retail level then yes equality is close
but GST in big stores is worked out and a different level so there would be a big hand back to Apple

When I purchase some thing from apple and want a tax office rebate at the airport it is always tax calculated at a much lower level

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
but america pay VAT -it's just called something else - I believe it's about 9%. So understand the point but maybe it makes it £300 more expensive.

Yes, but the US Sales tax is not included in the prices on the USA Store.
So, the price in the USA Store is excluding tax, whereas the price in the UK Store is including tax

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.