Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began rolling out a firmware update for its AirTag item trackers. The firmware features a build number of 2A73 (2.0.73), up from the 2A61 firmware that came out last October.

AitTag-New-Firmware.jpg

Apple does share release notes for AirTag firmware updates, but the document has yet to be updated for the new release so there's no word yet on what might be included in the update.

As is typical for AirTag updates, today's firmware release will be rolling out on a staggered basis. One percent of users will get the update today, and then it will expand to 10 percent of users on March 26. On April 2, the update will expand to 25 percent of users, and then it will be available to all on April 9.

It is not possible to force an AirTag update, as it's something that's done over-the-air through a connected iPhone. To make sure the update happens, you can put your AirTag in range of your ‌iPhone‌, but you have to wait for the firmware to roll out to your device. You can check your current AirTag firmware version through the Find My app, with instructions available in our how to.

Update: Due to an apparent error in date formatting by Apple in the deployment code, it appears the update has gone out to all AirTags rather than on a rolling basis as planned, as noted by @iSWUpdates.

Article Link: Apple Rolling Out Updated Firmware for AirTags [Updated]

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2004
Who said "Do you feel lucky....?"

Judging by the current mess Apple seems to make with any software, what possibly could go wrong with AirTag firmware [serious question] other than bricking the device.

Randomly putting your tag 500km away in someone else's "realm"? What else...

CookItOff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2023
"We’re excited to introduce our new AirTag firmware. In response to the wonderful lawsuits and government regulation we have now removed being able to track stolen items, or even track non stolen items, this of course removes the ability to view where your AirTag's location is on your phone. From now on your AirTag will sound a constant beep even though it can no longer track anything. We also made this requested feature permanent with no way of disabling. We think you're going to love it!" - Apple

Sarcasm of course but I feel like we are headed this way. :p

Edit for autocorrect grammar. 😬

Last edited:

D_J

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2021
Hopefully fixes battery drain issues, I feel like I’ve been getting low battery warnings a lot more frequently recently.
Yeah, I can't get batteries to last more than a few months in my AirTags, it's pretty frustrating.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Anyone else remember when Apple used to do enough to warrant having a Page Two on MacRumors where all the minor stories like this went?

Now Apple doesn't even do enough to warrant having a website dedicated to them at all.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Anyone else remember when Apple used to do enough to warrant having a Page Two on MacRumors where all the minor stories like this went?

Now Apple doesn't even do enough to warrant having a website dedicated to them at all.
I’d rather the Page 2 come back for non-Apple articles, like other phones or deals/ads. The main page can stay Apple-related and it would be fine in terms of quantity.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Yeah, I can't get batteries to last more than a few months in my AirTags, it's pretty frustrating.
Duracell perhaps? I have had a similar issue, and was reviewing comments for a pack I got at Costco... Turns out they have a coating on the outside of the battery that the Airtags specifically don't like so much. What scrubs that material off the battery, I'm not so certain yet, but some water, and scrubbing was needed for one battery to magically bring it back to life for a bit longer.

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
Had to switch to Energizer cells in the UK. The Duracell ones come with a total bitrex coating and you have to spend ages scraping that crap off for them to make contact for the things to register :(

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple does share release notes for AirTag firmware updates, but the document has yet to be updated for the new release so there's no word yet on what might be included in the update.
An update to address AirTag stalking?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.