Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

100247-express_lane_screenshot_500.jpg

As noted by The Next Web, Apple has launched a new feature known as Express Lane on its support website, offering users a faster way to document issues with their Apple products and reach appropriate support solutions and personnel.
Express Lane is really 3 sections of support, rolled into one neat package. You can search by Apple product, search your own products (that you've registered) or look up cases that you've submitted previously.

The process, it seems, streamlines what you would normally have to do in order to find support answers for your devices. Clicking through, the My Products section is really handy and includes all devices you've registered along with the respective serial numbers.
Express Lane allows users to drill down to find support documents specifically related to their issues, along with contact options. Users are required to enter their hardware serial numbers for certain symptoms to help gauge warranty status and direct users to the proper support channels.

100736-express_lane_issue_description_500.jpg

Article Link: Apple Rolls Out 'Express Lane' for Customized Product Support

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Product Support for: Ninja stars.

Desired Product: User manual.

Issue Description: Could not bring onto plane.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
@Mgkwho, oh I guess you were the one who voted negative? :p. To some it's newsworthy. Maybe people have shied away from the Apple online store because it's a bit complicated. Don't read if it doesn't interest you.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Hmm. Supports for iLife/iWork requires a "Hardware serial number". Weird. I mean interesting.

"Please provide your hardware serial number to determine support coverage. It also helps get you to the right support team."

Thinking about people with family packs; How does Apple link these to hardware serial numbers?

callme

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
USA and Canada Only - AGAIN

So the people who pay the MOST for Apple products get the worst support!

Gromit

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2004
TonyBlairland
Apple, where is my back dated pay cheque

I have been accuse a few times on forums of working for Apple. When I log in to Express Lane it tells me I have logged in as an Apple Employee.

Looking at my inventory, I seem to have never registered my first gen AppleTV (it is not on the list anyway). I could make some edits, but it will not let me because it thinks I am an *employee*.

This could be a useful function, though I have always been able to solve any problems with a web search.

Brinkman

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
I couldn't register my AirPort Express because it said it had already been registered.. then I remember I bought it off craigslist :eek:

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Hmm. Supports for iLife/iWork requires a "Hardware serial number". Weird. I mean interesting.

Thinking about people with family packs; How does Apple link these to hardware serial numbers?

Perhaps they are asking for the hardware serial to lock out hackintosh users from getting free support which they don't deserve.

Tango Charlie

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
Support for iTunes requires a hardware serial number? What?

What if my iTunes issue is happening on my Windows PC?

ChriswilliamsUk

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Uk
Support for iTunes requires a hardware serial number? What?

What if my iTunes issue is happening on my Windows PC?

itunes is seperate to the ilife support as windows cant get ilife and macs can

they would never ever do that. think about it

Chris

same here working fine for me in the uk

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

Virtually everything that USA and Canada users get to beta-test for apple (like this) gets rolled out over there eventually. You're welcome.

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Actually, I just got off the phone with a support person. He thinks it's a display issue.

"We're sorry, you are signed in with an Apple employee or contractor account that cannot be edited with My Support Profile."

Interestingly, my iPhone4 will not register to my account either because it seems to be registered to someone else.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009

I think it's just to determine the specs of the hardware you are using the software on so they can provide you with hardware specific support.

BoxOfSnoo

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
I just used this yesterday, not realizing it was that new. The old AppleCare callback thing used to be *instant* but this makes you make an appointment. Not as "Express Lane" as it used to be...

clientsiman

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
Crete,Greece
I couldn't register my AirPort Express because it said it had already been registered.. then I remember I bought it off craigslist :eek:

I have the same problem with my 2009 macbook pro but I bought it from a shop. I don't remember if I have register it before or not but in my support page I can only see my ipod nano.

I could use my s/n to for any macbook or itunes problem I just can't register it.

A minor issue, as I don't have any problem. I was just testing how the express lane works.

Edit: After a day my macbook pro is show on my devices :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.