Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In just four U.S. states, residents can add their driver's license or ID to the Apple Wallet app on the iPhone and Apple Watch, providing a convenient and contactless way to display proof of identity or age at select airports, businesses, and venues.

apple-wallet-drivers-license-feature.jpg

Adoption of the feature has been slow since Apple first announced it in September 2021, with IDs in the Wallet app only available in Arizona, Maryland, Colorado, and Georgia so far. Two years ago, Apple shared a list of additional states committed to supporting the feature in the future, but none of them have revealed any plans yet.

Participating States
Committed States

In March 2022, Apple said the additional eight states listed below would "soon" allow residents to add their driver's license or state ID to the Wallet app, but it is now two years later and none of these states support the feature yet.
  • Connecticut
  • Hawaii
  • Iowa
  • Kentucky
  • Mississippi
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Utah
Apple said the feature would also be supported in Puerto Rico.

In 2021, Apple said it was "already in discussions with many more states" and hoped to offer the feature nationwide in the future.

It is unclear if Apple plans to expand the feature to other countries.

Participating Locations

Apple-Wallet-ID-TSA.jpg

Apple Wallet app IDs can be used at select TSA checkpoints within select U.S. airports:
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
Apple says travelers should refer to TSA checkpoint signage to confirm availability of the feature.

Apple's website says IDs in the Wallet app can also be used to show proof of age or identity at "select businesses and venues," but adoption is limited.

Article Link: Apple Said iPhone Driver's Licenses Would Expand to These 8 U.S. States… Two Years Ago

• Haha
Reactions: japanime

jmeltzer

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Finsh what you started Apple! Apple has plenty of resources and they should look at this as a way to keep customers even more deeply entrenched on their platform. People considering switching to Android might be like, "well I could switch, but I am able to put my state ID on my phone's wallet so I'll just stick with Apple."

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I appreciate the convenience of not having to have my wallet on me. I am more likely to forget that, when leaving home, than my phone.

However, there have to be privacy or surveillance issues? I have yet to see an impassioned discussion of those. I have so far only seen dismissals by the same people who wholesale condemn 5G.

For example, could there be similar issues with phone-based IDs as there are with Central-Bank Digital Currencies? I am thinking of the scenario, in which banks or governments would cut individuals off from commerce for any reason, like purchasing too many rounds of ammunition or making a donation to an political opposition candidate.

Mojohanna32

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Finsh what you started Apple! Apple has plenty of resources and they should look at this as a way to keep customers even more deeply entrenched on their platform. People considering switching to Android might be like, "well I could switch, but I am able to put my state ID on my phone's wallet so I'll just stick with Apple."
This isn't an Apple issue. Its an individual state issue. They control the keys to the gate here, not the other way around.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I always wonder why the USA is so technologically backward. In Poland, we have had ID cards, driving licenses, insurance, doctor's prescriptions and other documents in the iPhone/Android application for many years.
Part of it is the highly federal nature of how the United States is constituted. Things like IDs are individual states’ issues. The notion of a national ID has been met with a lot of suspicion and has never gotten anywhere. If you have ever had any issues with how Brussels determines aspects of your life without your having recourse, then you know how many Americans feel about the U.S. Federal Government regulating something.

cjgrif

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Salisbury, MD
I have a Maryland license on my iPhone and this rarely works at TSA checkpoints at the airport. I've been tired of holding up the line so I only try this if the line is short.
I've only been able to use mine at BWI once. It worked well but I didn't realize it required another FaceID scan unlike credit cards. The second time there were 3 agents checking boarding passes and IDs - two had the newer NFC terminals and the third had an older one - of course I ended up being called to the one without. It's still of limited usefulness even at the airport; I need a physical ID to drop off my checked luggage anyway.

And the digital driver's license still isn't a proof of license to drive, so...🤷‍♂️

Reactions: kingtj1971

JordanCautious

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2023
I already have one for my Georgia License so I'm happy lmao. I think more might be announced around WWDC though. I can't wait to use it when I fly out of ATL in May and July!

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Ohio's corrupt statehouse will pick some garbage lobbyist with kickbacks that ships some insecure QR-code based app in 2027 that cops/airports won't even accept.

Always count on them to do the wrong thing and it makes a lot more sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.