Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Has there been any indication on whether the rumored new SE will keep the headphone jack? I am interested in an iPhone of that size, but I insist on having a headphone jack. If the new SE just adds memory, then I will wait for that one. But if it is a more drastic redesign I would rather get a current SE while they are still easily available.

I am guessing the SE will keep the jack. Apple is likely not going to waste too much resources redesigning what is meant to be a budget option. Plus, the absence of the headphone jack will be a harder sell if the phone doesn't come with any of the other benefits of the iPhone 7, such as improved water resistance and dual speakers (which were cited as reasons for its removal).

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
I am guessing the SE will keep the jack. Apple is likely not going to waste too much resources redesigning what is meant to be a budget option. Plus, the absence of the headphone jack will be a harder sell if the phone doesn't come with any of the other benefits of the iPhone 7, such as improved water resistance and dual speakers (which were cited as reasons for its removal).

Makes sense, I hope Apple follows your reasoning. ;)

Reactions: Fleetodogs

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I agree. That's the first thing I thought about when I heard this rumor. How strange to go bezel-less on only ONE iPad Pro. Why do that? Wouldn't it make sense to unify the iPad Pro line up? Just removing the bezels on the 10.5" model will make the 12.9" , 9.7" & 7.9" pro updates look old the moment they are announced. Makes no sense.
Apple has staggered iPad updates for many years. Sometimes not playing all your cards at once is the better strategy.
While it may look rather simple to the consumer at first glance, the details are the problem here. As you confirmed, keepign stock is one of them. If the customer walks into a brick-and-mortar store these days, he expects to be able to get the product he wants or "needs". Even while ignoring that the current options could already become confusing to the customer (in a sense that the decision is more difficult the more options are available, pardon me if "confusing" is the wrong term - no native speaker here), if you don't get what you want and have to change your decision on the fly or go home without the a product, because the store does not have your desired option, is a less-than-satisfying user experience.

Someone compared the easiness with ordering a burger at a fast food chain. That comparison is flawed imo, because usually you can get whatever product out of the chain's portfolio you desire - any day, any time.

And then there's the other side of the medal, which seems to be ignored by most posters: The seller / maker side. While it may be true that there is only one LTE model for a certain country, Apple (and its logistics partners) have to deal with a couple of those, because they have to cater to many markets world wide. The more factors you have to consider as company, the more difficult it becomes. Eventually you'll face delays in some products, so you have to explain to the customer why a product is available in country A, but not in country B just around the corner. You have to evaluate and certify components, test and qc them as well as the finished products, ensure in-portfolio compatibility, adjust the software (e.g. hardware drivers), keep it in sync over all product variations and much, much more.
That will inevitably lead to a negative impact for the customer, even if he may not be affected directly, because for his untrained eye there are only so few products. Then why can't Apple bring them to market already, in sufficient numbers and also assure proper QC, while they're at it?
So, you suggest that:
a) Apple goes back to one size fits all (ie, one iPhone size, one iPad size)?
b) Apple doesn't offer older models at a cheaper price?
c) Apple only offers one colour?
d) Apple only offers one capacity?

There are downsides to having more options. But there are also clear upsides. You only seem to make the arguments against more options. That is not having a considered discussion, that is having a fixed idea and only looking at things that support that idea. Yours and/or others' discontent in this subthread seems to be triggered by the idea of things getting worse, aka the number of options increasing, which apart from colours, they are not.

Even as an owner of iPad and iPhone with e-reader apps on them, for reading I prefer my ePaper eReader all of the time. Perhaps if an iPad could offer a similar reading experience (like e.g. a display with additional ePaper mode, perhaps even transflective), then I might reconsider.
Ah, here we have it. Your problem is not the number of options available but that the option you would like is not available.

Reactions: Capt. Obvious

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Has there been any indication on whether the rumored new SE will keep the headphone jack? I am interested in an iPhone of that size, but I insist on having a headphone jack. If the new SE just adds memory, then I will wait for that one. But if it is a more drastic redesign I would rather get a current SE while they are still easily available.

Nothing rumored. I seriously doubt Apple is going to update the SE, other than to add more memory options to increase profit margins on the phone. They're getting ready to open a plant in India specifically to make the SE, which is functionally almost as good as the 7. It'll be around for a few more years at ever lower price points. While I could imagine an SE that upgrades the front panel with a better FaceTime camera, possibly adding 3D Touch, and a taptic engine, and removes the headphone jack to make room for those things, it seems like a huge investment into an aging design that only cuts into their profit margins and limits how low they can go with the price. Much more likely Apple will introduce a new phone along the SE's dimensions and charge a premium for it instead -- then eventually that phone will work its way down to replace the SE. The SE & 6s are likely going to remain available as long as Apple can justify it, simply because they do have headphone jacks. The SE particularly, because it's the entry level segment that has the least disposable income for expensive BlueTooth and Lightning headphones. Though, depending on how well the 7 really sold compared to the 6s, it may not matter to Apple, and they may now know that the number of customers who care about the headphone jack is actually quite small and inconsequential to Apple's bottom line.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
So, you suggest that:
a) Apple goes back to one size fits all (ie, one iPhone size, one iPad size)?
b) Apple doesn't offer older models at a cheaper price?
c) Apple only offers one colour?
d) Apple only offers one capacity?
I nowhere suggest anything even close to that.

There are downsides to having more options. But there are also clear upsides.
I don't dispute that. The important questions are "how many options" and "upsides for which side - customer or company".

You only seem to make the arguments against more options. That is not having a considered discussion, that is having a fixed idea and only looking at things that support that idea.
It is difficult to lead a proper discussion with someone who chooses to ignore arguments from the other side, but instead tries to discredit people who don't share his personal opinion. You are surely not qualified to lecture others about how to discuss!

Yours and/or others' discontent in this subthread seems to be triggered by the idea of things getting worse, aka the number of options increasing, which apart from colours, they are not.
Either you can't or you don't want to understand that there is more to this topic than the customer's eye can see. And you seem to think of yourself as measure for the average customer.

Ah, here we have it. Your problem is not the number of options available but that the option you would like is not available.
Again you try to read something into my posting that is not there. How was your comment about "having a fixed idea and only looking at things that support that idea"? :rolleyes:

I tried twice to discuss argument-based with you, but you seem to be not interested. Therefore I conclude:

[] You have a clue about logistics and the impact of technical variants.
[] You have a clue about how product development and production work in mass quantities.
[] You can discuss properly, including listening to other sides and answering to their arguments.
[] You do fully read and understand other people's postings before answering.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I nowhere suggest anything even close to that.
Which is why these were questions, not statements. You talk about two many options but when I ask you which of those options should go, you feel insulted that I suggest that you suggest some options should go. Your position seems to be that the number of options should be reduced but don't want to propose the removal of any specific options because you know that there are good reasons for all the options and proposing the removal of some would allow others to criticise your position with hard, specific arguments.

If there are too many options, put up or shut up. Tell us which options should be removed. You cannot have your cake and eat, ie, reduce the number of options but actually don't remove any options.

nutriousmitten

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2017
I understand your thinking but I'm pretty sure you are way off in your conclusion. Apple releasing what will effectively be a new iPad line in the 10.5" screen will be marketed as a premium device with high end features and price to match. I would say it is much more likely to be like the 9.7 Pro but with the 12.9 screen resolution due to reduced bezel size i.e. true tone, quad speakers & smart connector with Pencil support but with a newer SOC and more RAM.
Time will tell though.
Could be. Certainly would be a high end device, but still LCD, not Amoled.
I just don't see them doing one year of the 9.7 Pro form factor (and upgraded screen, and 4 speakers), then moving to the 10.5, while still keeping the 12" as a Pro in the old "bezel" style, either.
Nor then keeping that "old" 9.7 Pro around as a Pro if there is something that is the same physical size but a bigger screen, nor rebadging it and calling it the Air 3.

3 Pros (Mini, 9.7, 12.9) 9.7 gets a bit of a price drop to be the cheapest of that size (or keeps price, but pencil now included), goes in tune with the marketing ads where the Pro will be the volume seller now. Not 100% sure there will be a Mini Pro.
1 Air (10.5) - less specs, but bigger wow factor.
1 Mini (Mini 4, whether there is a Mini Pro or not, or, the Mini 2 lives as the cheapest Ipad as the Mini 4 is dropped/upgraded to the Mini Pro)

Air 2 dropped, Mini 2 or 4 maybe dropped.

Or, yes, you're right...10.5 Pro, 12 Pro (but look totally different - this is where and why I don't think Apple markets two different looking devices as Pro - just not their symmetrical style). Mini, who knows, as above.
9.7 Pro is dropped, Air 3 is an upgraded Air 2 with a cheap price point
Mini is up in the air as scenario 1.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think desktop Macs are becoming a "hobby" for Apple now.

Apple seems to be leaning towards the MacBook + thunderbolt dock combination. A thin and light laptop outside when you are on the move, hook it up to a huge display and eGPU when at home, thereby doing away with the need for a dedicated desktop unit.

Won't meet my needs (my iMac at home is shared with my dad), but won't be surprised if they decide to go that way.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Apple seems to be leaning towards the MacBook + thunderbolt dock combination. A thin and light laptop outside when you are on the move, hook it up to a huge display and eGPU when at home, thereby doing away with the need for a dedicated desktop unit.

Won't meet my needs (my iMac at home is shared with my dad), but won't be surprised if they decide to go that way.

I worked that way for a while (laptop which I would dock when at home). It was always annoying because I was constantly plugging and unplugging stuff, pulling the thing out of my bag, whatever. I way prefer to have a big, powerful dedicated Mac on my desk. It's always backed up, always ready to go, and doubles, via Home Sharing, as an audio/video streaming server throughout my place. Then I just have a basic Macbook Air in my bag for writing, other stuff (and frankly, it's fast enough to edit video and audio just fine). Everything get synced by iCloud or Dropbox so I'm never really sweating about keeping files up to date.

Two Macs instead of one -- you'd think Apple would love people like me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I worked that way for a while (laptop which I would dock when at home). It was always annoying because I was constantly plugging and unplugging stuff, pulling the thing out of my bag, whatever. I way prefer to have a big, powerful dedicated Mac on my desk. It's always backed up, always ready to go, and doubles, via Home Sharing, as an audio/video streaming server throughout my place. Then I just have a basic Macbook Air in my bag for writing, other stuff (and frankly, it's fast enough to edit video and audio just fine). Everything get synced by iCloud or Dropbox so I'm never really sweating about keeping files up to date.

Two Macs instead of one -- you'd think Apple would love people like me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, with USB C, there is only one cable to connect and disconnect now.

macman312

macrumors 6502
Nice! Can't wait to finally upgrade my iPad 3!

I upgraded to a air 2 last year. Such a good purchase. Also came from a iPad 3.

I didn't want a iPad Pro at the time and was about to go travelling so saving a few hundred dollars was a good idea.

Seriously thinking of grabbing a pro for work though. Would be perfect to take notes on in meetings.

Yes I aware I could use my air , but my company likes to manage devices and I'd prefer to have a dedicated work iPad. It would also mean I could sit and do emails on the train with a large screen.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
I think they have it backwards though as when to release products. ipads would do better in holidays. Phones are something i never gift anyone or wait for holidays on.

They have a big internal push for iPads against the domestic edu market, which starts technical evaluations around the 1st of April for fall rollout.

This is also one of the sources of features in the 9.3 and 10.3 releases.

I'd imagine if they had a choice of regular schedules, it would be iPad releases in March and iPad Pro releases in early October.

bliggs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Broken Arrow
I think a lot of people with first generation iPad Air or earlier have been waiting for the new iPads.

You would be correct. My 1st gen air is getting quite long in the tooth and the current 9.7 iPad PRO did not really impress me much. Hoping that this rumored 10.5 is everything they say it will be and more. Come on Apple!!

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
I wish the plastic strips in the iPhone 7 silver model were white. Grey plastic looks ugly there.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
What's unnecessary to one may not be to another. The size(s) you deem necessary others may deem unnecessary, Hence more sizes are better and reach more people. Example is I like the mini size best, if not for it I would not buy one at all. Many have no use for a mini.
I don't agree. It feels like an attempt to mitigate sales slump by cookie-cutting smaller tablets from larger products. Adds quantity, not quality.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
I don't agree. It feels like an attempt to mitigate sales slump by cookie-cutting smaller tablets from larger products. Adds quantity, not quality.

You don't have to. Apple has long shown they are about the bottom line and the more people people they sell to the happier they are. Mitigating sales slumps is what it's all about, I'm surprised that anyone would question that of any company.

I have seen no proof that ipad quality has dropped by introducing other models. I will wait for you to back that up. I think it's a good thing as the only ipad I care about is the mini. It wouldn't bother me if they cut the model you like since it's obviously not the mini but all in all choice is good.

Since the original ipad was introduced there have been one smaller and how many larger? So "cookie cutter" larger sizes would be the correct term and because they call one or two pro means nothing. I lost count but at least 2 larger with the new one(s) coming. They started with the regular ipad so that's the beginning size. The mini outsells the pro line (google it) so is the smaller one really the one you are against?

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
You don't have to. Apple has long shown they are about the bottom line and the more people people they sell to the happier they are. Mitigating sales slumps is what it's all about, I'm surprised that anyone would question that of any company.

I have seen no proof that ipad quality has dropped by introducing other models. I will wait for you to back that up. I think it's a good thing as the only ipad I care about is the mini. It wouldn't bother me if they cut the model you like since it's obviously not the mini but all in all choice is good.

Since the original ipad was introduced there have been one smaller and how many larger? So "cookie cutter" larger sizes would be the correct term and because they call one or two pro means nothing. I lost count but at least 2 larger with the new one(s) coming. They started with the regular ipad so that's the beginning size. The mini outsells the pro line (google it) so is the smaller one really the one you are against?
As studies have shown, too much choice is actually bad for the consumer. And Apple are often muddying the waters by keeping certain older models of products, but not having them in as high a capacity as newer hardware any more. All these various permutations make the decision process more complex. Perhaps Apple do so intentionally, so that people just decide to go for the latest and greatest and thus buy the most expensive even if they don't need to.

Reactions: navaira

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I am big on the SE model and hope they upgrade the SOC to A10 and 4GB RAM inside! Maybe a red SE too? No? Matte Black for sure! Love my 4" iPhone!
[doublepost=1488309021][/doublepost]
Nothing rumored. I seriously doubt Apple is going to update the SE, other than to add more memory options to increase profit margins on the phone. They're getting ready to open a plant in India specifically to make the SE, which is functionally almost as good as the 7. It'll be around for a few more years at ever lower price points. While I could imagine an SE that upgrades the front panel with a better FaceTime camera, possibly adding 3D Touch, and a taptic engine, and removes the headphone jack to make room for those things, it seems like a huge investment into an aging design that only cuts into their profit margins and limits how low they can go with the price. Much more likely Apple will introduce a new phone along the SE's dimensions and charge a premium for it instead -- then eventually that phone will work its way down to replace the SE. The SE & 6s are likely going to remain available as long as Apple can justify it, simply because they do have headphone jacks. The SE particularly, because it's the entry level segment that has the least disposable income for expensive BlueTooth and Lightning headphones. Though, depending on how well the 7 really sold compared to the 6s, it may not matter to Apple, and they may now know that the number of customers who care about the headphone jack is actually quite small and inconsequential to Apple's bottom line.

Trend is going back to smaller phones! The iPhone market share by size is that the 4" has 40% market and 7" has 47% market share!

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
As studies have shown, too much choice is actually bad for the consumer.

Pure BS. Maybe in some twisted way for those too dumb to make choices but for normal humans choice is good.

You still have not backed up the negative effect on statement on the quality of ipads and have injected another un supported claim.

You truly believe having multiple choices is worse on the consumer than no choice? No way in hell.

A number of choices does not force someone to buy the most expensive, how ridiculous. The mini and regular ipad outsell the pro models so that alone show that you are not basing your comments on reality. Clearly that is not the case. The so called "pro" series caters to more of a niche . If apple kills off anything other than the more expensive pro then I agree they would be trying to force upsell in the ipad line. Aside from that upselling is a part of any company. Apple care, more memory, storage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac.com/2016/10/31/idc-apple-tablet-market-q3-ipad-leads/amp/

What has happened to people now that want someone else making their choices for them. Millenial I assume?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladybug

Capt. Obvious

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
The Valley of the Blind
Tim, wake up.
Look at sales trends. Talk with customers for once.
Enough iPad choice & fragmentation - no use casting our throats with more of that.
We have entered the post-iPad era now.
We are waiting for an iPad/MacBook convolute with the benefits of both iOS and MacOS.
I needed to read something absurd & non-political, so thanks...
...but you're clearly dreaming, so don't let me wake you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.