Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
According to the digitimes article :
"The planned new MacBook Air will have a slim design, and come with Retina high-resolution screen and Intel's latest notebook processor."

I am very skeptical that this *updated* MBA version that is allegedly in the works will improve on the old MBA design. If retina, Apple will surely give the new MBA a crappy laminated and coated screen, and also gimp it with less ports, no SD slot, glued batteries, soldered SSD, butterfly keyboard (yuk), and will lose the lighted Apple logo and magsafe.

Sorry I sound negative, but I am not looking forward to another MacCook version of a MB, with *Retina* as an excuse to cheapen the build quality, usability, and serviceability of the MB line.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I still don't get it – why is it so hard for Apple to just create a great laptop? MBA is timeless, just upgrade the specs, the screen and tweak the design a little bit. What we need is a reliable machine. Nothing less, nothing more. Same as with Mac Pro. Just use the old silver case, upgrade the specs, create new amazing display a you are done. Professionals will buy it as soon as it hits the stores.
Probably because Apple's definition of what makes a great laptop differs from everyone else. It seems that Apple is apparently taking design cues from iOS devices and trying to apply them to MacBooks in a bid to make them more "personal".

For example, to Apple, a thinner and lighter laptop is a more portable device, and by extension, better for the consumer, even if it comes at the expense of thermals and ports, and you end up being force-fed a butterfly keyboard for it.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Because their main component supplier keeps delaying their chips? Do you have an alternative to offer?

What component? I didn't read that part. I guess an alternative depends on your needs, maybe a current MacBook or an iPad. Probably best for you to make that decision though.

anthorumor

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Apple might as well release a new Air, seeing that their product lineup is confusing at best:

We have a MacBook, a Pro with only 2 ports and no touchbar, another Pro with 4 ports. And it doesn't even play nice with a Lightning Cable. But wait, you can also choose an iMac, or iMac 5k.
Maybe even a Mac Pro (because it's still available online). Shiny, and so 'retro 2013'.
How old is the Mac Mini again?
Oh, but 'what's a computer'? I guess I can get this keyboard. I wonder how many other Smart connector accessories are out there...

I digressed, but thanks, Apple.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
What component? I didn't read that part. I guess an alternative depends on your needs, maybe a current MacBook or an iPad. Probably best for you to make that decision though.

Intel Cannon Lake CPU. The MacBook delay announcement comes two days after Intel (once again) delayed Cannon Lake, as I wrote above. They have to be connected since Cannon Lake chips are the new-gen low-power CPUs perfectly suitable for the new entry-level MacBook.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
They spent too much time on iOS devices.

I don't really understand what you are trying to say. Do you want them to spend more time in iOS devices? What does Intel's CPU woes have to do with Apple spending time on iOS?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Intel Cannon Lake CPU. The MacBook delay announcement comes two days after Intel (once again) delayed Cannon Lake, as I wrote above. They have to be connected since Cannon Lake chips are the new-gen low-power CPUs perfectly suitable for the new entry-level MacBook.

Ah okay, didn't see that in the article. Okay, well I suppose there isn't much they can do then. Kind of reaffirms why they want to move to their own chips though. I have made the move to iOS only partly for this reason.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple might as well release a new Air, seeing that their product lineup is confusing at best:

We have a MacBook, a Pro with only 2 ports and no touchbar, another Pro with 4 ports. And it doesn't even play nice with a Lightning Cable. But wait, you can also choose an iMac, or iMac 5k.
Maybe even a Mac Pro (because it's still available online). Shiny, and so 'retro 2013'.
How old is the Mac Mini again?
Oh, but 'what's a computer'? I guess I can get this keyboard. I wonder how many other Smart connector accessories are out there...

I digressed, but thanks, Apple.
Yeah, seems like Apple should just offer the following:

13" MBP without Touchbar (make that the spiritual successor to the 13" MBA)
the 13" and 15" MBP with Touchbar
4k and 4k imacs
Imac Pro

The Macbook is slow and has a USB-C port which doesn't support thunderbolt 3. MBA hasn't been updated in ages, ditto for the Mac mini.

Streamlined enough?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hardware during WWDC is not a guarantee anyways, regardless of the rumors. It’s primarily focused on the developers and iOS/macOS.
They have moved away from them a lot, but its still something that people expect and they did announce harware last year.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I guess it depends on what you do, better than what and better at what.

I went from MBP to iPad Pro 12.9 2ng gen only... while it is lovely, for some stuff I have to do ... I regret the choice.

I would say there is a 50% / 50% situation for me, sometimes one is better some other the other one is.

Yea definitely, always depends on the task. I just don't see any iPad Pro users complaining about their devices, but everyone has been clear that Apple can't make a good laptop any longer. Kind of surprised people are even bummed that this is delayed. If Apple laptops are so bad, why not just move on already?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The MacBookAir makes so little sense in Apple’s lineup. Is Apple giving up on the ultra portable new generation MacBook? The MacBookAir started off expensive like today’s MacBook and eventually lowered in price to somehow become the budget MacBook. So, then why isn’t the MacBook taking that place? Last year’s specs could become the entry level like Apple does with the iPhone. For schools, isn’t Apple pushing the iPad as the next generation ‘computer’? Why does the MacBookAir exist?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I still don't get it – why is it so hard for Apple to just create a great laptop? MBA is timeless, just upgrade the specs, the screen and tweak the design a little bit. What we need is a reliable machine.Just use the old silver case, upgrade the specs, create new amazing display a you are done. Professionals will buy it as soon as it hits the stores.
You make it sound as if a computer is made up of legos where you can just exchange any one component for another similar one, and then they magically fit.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I'm glad to see them back on a June schedule. So what will the keyboard be like this time???

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
The MacBookAir makes so little sense in Apple’s lineup. Is Apple giving up on the ultra portable new generation MacBook? The MacBookAir started off expensive like today’s MacBook and eventually lowered in price to somehow become the budget MacBook. So, then why isn’t the MacBook taking that place? Last year’s specs could become the entry level like Apple does with the iPhone. For schools, isn’t Apple pushing the iPad as the next generation ‘computer’? Why does the MacBookAir exist?

I agree, it's a bit odd to keep it around, but it makes sense if you compare it to the iPhone SE. I guess they want to keep a legacy design around for those that need it at a very cheap price point.

Reactions: Yvan256
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.