Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
The 7 inch ipad is real and is going to come. Why? Because i dont want it to happen, i want a 9,7inch ipad with camera and retina display and double/quadded ram(for ut3 engine beauty).
But with all the rumors about 7inch already, its going to be real. I can feel it. But i dont like it. I very hope they will say at the introduction that they release a new ipad 9,7inch to, sooner or later.

Imagine ut3 engine on a ipad with retina and 1024mb ram. Omg that would be beauty:D

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
I heard rumor that Apple developed a white iPhone alongside the black one. I won't believe the Moby Dick of phones until I see it with my own eyes. :p

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I heard rumor that Apple developed a white iPhone alongside the black one. I won't believe the Moby Dick of phones until I see it with my own eyes. :p

I think Steve should go on TV and say to camera, we will sell you a white iPhone "as is cosmetically". He should declare the imperfections fashion statements and things to admire.

He should say he stands by that message in the style of the season.

Rocketman

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I can see that there are tons of people who want the 7" model. That's all fine and dandy, but don't come posting multiple threads on here afterwards talking about how much of a pain it is to type on or how hard it is to read PDF's or documents because of zooming and scrolling and panning.

But if it fits your lifestyle, more power to you and I hope you get that option sometime in the near future. I can't say I hope anyone doesn't get a device that really fits their work/life.

I will stick with favoring the current size.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
7" is harder to type on due to width. /discussion for me.

"You know what it's like to type on before it even comes out?"

Yes. I know how wide 7" is, and I know the width of the iPad I have now. Won't work for me. Shouldn't work for you either. :D

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
For the same reason we have 13", 14", 15", 16" and 17" laptops (I'm sure there's more sizes out there too). One size does not fit all 100%.

If people bought 15" MacBook Pros faster than Apple could make them, they might not have developed different sizes. This is one of the reasons they don't make a budget mini tower - it would cut into existing sales, and they're happy with their desktop sales.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Honestly, ****.

I hate these -so called-Insiders who claim to know what Apple does and what Apple won't do. Those are the same people who were screaming: "Fake! Apple would never release something like this. Look at the RIMS!" when the iPhone 4 was leaked.

Get over it, you have no idea what youre talking about. You don't know if a 7" Version of the iPad would make sense to Apple, because you've NEVER USED ONE.

While at the Apple labs they are undoubtably testing all kind of screen sizes. And if the 7 inch Version makes sense to them and feels good to control and would make profit they are clearly gonna make one.
Except for the fact that Dalrymple is claiming Apple already made one and did the testing of all kind of screen sizes, and concluded the 7 inch version doesn't make sense to them at this time.
Will they make one? Hell, I don't know. To me it would make sense. But I clearly don't act like my opinion was fact or the only one considerable....

Actually, when you use words like "undoubtably" and "you have no idea what you are talking about", you are acting like your opinion is fact.

Regardless of that, you haven't been working in the industry for decades and don't have contacts at Apple and the rest of the industry. His opinions are more believable because he has earned credibility. Obviously, I don't automatically believe his opinion is 100% correct without reading it, but I will carefully consider what he has to say, and his theory is believable.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The only question is: WHY the heck would someone want to buy a 7-inch iPad when there are already 2 Apple-produced multitouch devices with 3.5 and 9 inches? To fit it in cargo pockets?

This rumor makes absolutely no sense in terms of market segmentation; I call it pure BS.

Actually it likely is NOT BS. Because the rumor is that they developed. Past tense. Which makes sense. Apple has admitted themselves that they originally started with a tablet and decided to go with the phone first because it was a form folks were used to carrying around.

so they likely played around with a 3,5,7,9 even as large as a 13. The 3 and 9 were the ones they felt were the best fit for their goals.

Revealing this information was a way to squash the rumors that they are looking into a 7 inch model to compete with the Samsung etc because they already looked into it and it would seemed decided that it doesn't work.

Obvious, they had to get their ass in gear if RIM is coming out with a small tablet computer (that in terms of specs, also kicks their ass).

No, not at all. As the article says, any rumors they are developing such a model as a response to RIM or anyone else is BS because they already developed and tested that model and nixed it. But even if they decided 'oh on second thought' they could turn around and release it in a matter of weeks. At the first whispers of anyone else going for that size they could have announced theirs coming out at the end of the month or whenever and had it out in a matter of weeks. That they didn't is likely again do to the feeling that it is not the best form factor in the end.

For a device that still can't be produced in big enough quantities to meet demand (iPad still not launced in Scandinavia!!)

Actually the issue is probably less about supply issues and more about setting up proper international agreements to be able to sell the goods in the country.

Same reason why people buy 15" MacBooks Pros, when there are 13" and 17" models available. One size (or two sizes) may not fit all.

Trouble is that each size has variances in internal specs even ports available. So it is a hard call to say that size is the issue. Perhaps someone bought a 15" over a 13" despite the 13" being the desired size because the 15" had full DVI and the 13" did not. I know I grabbed a 15" a couple of years ago strictly because the 13" wasn't available with the blank pci slot I could put an esata card into. And I needed that speed

Squozen

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Please stop chugging the apple kool-aid, the only people praising the "low price points" are apple fan boys who praise apple no matter what. Most intelligent people know and will admit that aevery apple product has an "apple tax".

If the iPad is so 'overpriced' for what it offers, you should have no trouble coming up with several examples of tablets that do the same for less.

Over to you.

mutantteenager

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
This is standard Apple. Hype the current product to be an answer to everyone's dreams, and with that the product is deemed perfect, beyond improvement.

Meanwhile have the replacement (some say the one they should have released in the first place) waiting in the wings, with all the things the first one should have had (like a camera). Release after Christmas, but long enough after to not allow the previous version to be exchanged for the new one, and everyone's (Apple) happy. Yay!

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Yeah sure, a 7" iPad is just "waiting in the wings" but an announced product like the iPhone 4 White still hasn't been released. :rolleyes:

Nope not waiting in the wings.
Not Good Enough To Release.

Like hundreds of other Prototypes and inHouse projects.

This is what the article is saying Apple doesn't just develop one new product when they feel like it they have dozens of new products being developed having being rebuilt with new tech all the time and being reassessed each of those times on a go/no-go basis.

If Apple release the 7 Inch it'll be because something technology and or supply wise changes it from a no-go to go based on Apples internal market criteria. By reading the article it almost suggest that the 7inch is the original SafariPad so has been around before the iPhone even.

schalliol

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
Carmel, IN
I think it might come from the Newton, in-part. The iPad is a good size because it's definitely NOT pocketable. The Newton was pocketable in a big enough pocket, but it was pretty huge. People laughed at it because they wanted it to be a pocket-sized device and didn't really know what to do with the Newton, did it go in a bag, a pocket? The iPad is more clear. Now that the iPad is out, I can see how some might like bigger or smaller versions. A 7" with retina display would be awesome. Unless it's got a much higher dpi than the iPad, I wouldn't imagine a 7" would be ideal for many.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Not a valid use model

A smaller screen size would force the use model of the iPad to change.

Programs would have to be redesigned to account for the smaller screen space.

Steve Jobs wouldn't change the use model at this point.

If he introduces something in the 7" range, it would be more of an iPhone than an iPad..

ftlwolf9

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010
Hmmm... $2500 for your car GPS or a $399 7" iPad?

Surprised I haven't read it yet, but a 7" would work nicely in das auto. People continue to get ripped-off by the auto industry at outrages prices for minimal functionality (OEM GPS) when it can be replaced by a much cheaper, much more capable iPad. The 7" will fit much better than the 9.7, although you may need to seek a professional for a clean installation. AND, it goes with you (remove out of car) when you're on the road as needed.

Also, you would hate to pay repair bills on a OEM installed car unit 3 years down the road and still pay the same or more than you originally paid for a now obsolete unit (plus labor).... with the iPad you just purchase the latest more capable unit and plug it in yourself.

Really, all that's needed in the car for an awesome system is/are good amplifiers and speakers.... and a holder, connection for the iPad.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Forget the screen size, talk about the function!

If the iPad had Final Draft, cameras, higher res, iMovie, JEDict, and was a stand alone computer, I'd be in there. It'd be a super sale if there was a nice PS program for art with excellent stylus recognition so the thing becomes an Intuos tablet or sorts.

I'd keep my MocPro for the mega-computing stuff, but I'd never need another huge Mac for a decade. The iPad would be a portable and desktop solution for 98% of my work.

hiptobesquare

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
Iowa
I'd rather have an 11" iPad which can be its own stand-alone computer, have the landscape dock, and have a higher res. screen of preferably 1600x1100 (or somewhere around there).

Come on, Apple.

I've been thinking that, myself.

As a previous commenter said... if you are going to go tablet, go BIG.

Why not an 11" screen? Maybe even a 13" screen, and make the IPS LED-lit screen module in common with the MacBook Air folding laptop.

If you are going to need a case or bag to carry it around... it might as well be as big as a generous netbook, or small laptop screen, with iPad functionality.

Then, a 7" carry-portable that is still notably larger than an iPhone screen, and a direct competitor to other manufacturer's alternatives... makes a bit more sense.

The only thing I would then suggest, is the ability for iOS to directly update itself, without the need for a base machine with a full OS and iTunes to handle the downloads and installation.

I don't want to eliminate or curtail the sync functionality at all... (maybe expand it to be WiFi capable, without needing to plug in)

But it would be nice to be able to tell people that an iPad can work as a stand-alone internet device without a more expensive computer in the house, like my mother-in-law, who just does e-mail and web.

Being able to print to a basic wifi printer. The ability to import and manage simple family pictures, or to take them directly... (which the camera connection kit does allow), and the ability to update it's own system software, and perhaps the ability to back itself up to a simple portable external hard drive, or an Apple TimeCapsule.

That would basically un-tether iOS devices from the necessity for a master MacOS or Windows system, if a novice-user wishes to use ONLY an iPad or other iOS device, and not maintain or incur the cost of a larger master system to sometimes otherwise sit idle.

karlth

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Personally, I don't see the need for a 7" iPad. The current size was chosen for specific reasons, and it's selling very well. Not only that, but think of the headache that releasing a smaller version would mean for app developers. Not only did everyone have to create iPad specific / universal apps that run on both iPhone and iPad displays, but adding another into the mix would just be annoying from a developer stand point.

If the screen resolution is the same then it won't make any difference to us.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Surprised I haven't read it yet, but a 7" would work nicely in das auto. People continue to get ripped-off by the auto industry at outrages prices for minimal functionality (OEM GPS) when it can be replaced by a much cheaper, much more capable iPad. The 7" will fit much better than the 9.7, although you may need to seek a professional for a clean installation. AND, it goes with you (remove out of car) when you're on the road as needed.

Also, you would hate to pay repair bills on a OEM installed car unit 3 years down the road and still pay the same or more than you originally paid for a now obsolete unit (plus labor).... with the iPad you just purchase the latest more capable unit and plug it in yourself.

Really, all that's needed in the car for an awesome system is/are good amplifiers and speakers.... and a holder, connection for the iPad.
Excellent post, I concur.

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
When the competition releases their 7" tablets Apple should respond. After all it's far better to cannibalize your own sales than let a competitor do it.

Exactly. I’d also add that it’s best to wait to cannibalize your own sales when the competitor is a position to cannibalize yours, and not sooner.

When will the competition be ready to do so? When they can figure out how to get a 3.5 floppy and parallel port in the dang thing. :D

- Does the 7" fit in a pocket? Of course it does, only not a jeans pocket. Winter coats (what we use in Norway 1/3 of the year) have big pockets, suitable for paperbackes - and 7" iPads!

Hi Norway!

In Minnesota we have to wear coats at least ½ the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.