Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to launch its annual Back to School promotion in the United States on Friday, coinciding with the launch of the new 13-inch MacBook Pro with the M2 chip, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. In a tweet, Gurman said Apple may offer a gift card with the purchase of an eligible Mac or iPad, rather than free AirPods like last year.

apple-back-to-school.jpg

UPDATE: Apple has launched its 2022 Back to School promotion, offering students up to a $150 gift card with the purchase of an eligible Mac or iPad.

Each year, Apple's Back to School promotion offers college/university students and educators a free gift with the purchase of an eligible new Mac or iPad. Last year, the U.S. promotion began on June 17 and offered free second-generation AirPods with the purchase of an eligible Mac or iPad model, in addition to 20% off AppleCare+ plans for devices.

Last year, eligible devices included the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, iPad Pro, and iPad Air, while the eighth-generation iPad and fifth-generation iPad mini were excluded from the offer. Refurbished devices are also typically ineligible.

The promotion is typically available to students attending or accepted to a higher-education institution, faculty and staff of higher-education institutions, parents purchasing on behalf of an eligible student, employees of a K-12 institution, and select others.

The promotion will likely launch in Canada at the same time as in the U.S., followed by European and Asian countries a few weeks later.

Article Link: Apple Said to Launch 2022 Back to School Promotion on Friday, Might Offer Gift Cards Instead of Free AirPods

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This would be an improvement as long as the gift card value is similar to the cost of AirPods. Could use it for anything for those of us who don't need another pair of AirPods.
In the past is any indication, the gift card won't have the same value as AirPods. It will most likely be $100 for Mac and $50 for iPad.

Still, I prefer the gift card over AirPods.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I liked when they gave free AirPods, then you could always opt to spend a bit more on better AirPod Pros. There isn't that much at the store these days unless you like cases or cables.

Reactions: Ankaa

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I liked when they gave free AirPods, then you could always opt to spend a bit more on better AirPod Pros. There isn't that much at the store these days unless you like cases or cables.
Or Macs or iPads or iPhones, etc.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
It's not even July 4th yet and there are already back to school offers. What next, Christmas sales in August?
School is a year round thing. Ever hear of summer school?

My alma mater starts summer session today. Our cross town rival started their summer session on May 18

The local K-12 schools start summer today as well. A different K-12 district started their summer classes 2 weeks ago.

Reactions: ronntaylor

fbr$

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2020
Back to School with the old 3GB RAM iPad with Lightning port, just a few months before the new generation 4GB RAM USB-C iPad is released...

EDIT: last year the entry level iPad was not an eligible device. 🤢

Last edited:

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
School is a year round thing. Ever hear of summer school?

My alma mater starts summer session today. Our cross town rival started their summer session on May 18

The local K-12 schools start summer today as well. A different K-12 district started their summer classes 2 weeks ago.

I have heard of Summer School. I worked various Summer Schools as a custodian. My whole point is sales seem to be getting earlier and earlier each year.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
You know you're old when you used to get a printer haha
The printer was year round, not just for back to school. During back to school, you got a printer (Standard) AND an iPod.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Back to School with the old 3GB RAM iPad with Lightning port, just a few months before the new generation 4GB RAM USB-C iPad is released...
If a new iPad gets released in September like in 2019, 2020, and 2021, then it will be eligible for Back To School promo as the promo usually runs almost to the end of September

Reactions: fbr$

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
AirPods were almost equivalent to cash. You could get $100 selling them any day of the week.

If Apple is offering a card, there is no chance it’s equal in value. Otherwise, Apple would have provided AirPods in the first place. It would be cheaper and keeps people in the ecosystem.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple plans to launch its annual Back to School promotion in the United States on Friday
I have heard of Summer School. I worked various Summer Schools as a custodian. My whole point is sales seem to be getting earlier and earlier each year.
It might seem like they're starting Back to School promo earlier and earlier each year to you, but they're not. At least compared to 2010 and prior.

Past promo start dates.

2022 = June 24???
2021 = June 17
2020 = June 15
2019 = July 9
2018 = July 12
2017 = July 12
2016 = June 2
2015 = July 23
2014 = July 1
2013 = July 2
2012 = June 11
2011 = June 16
2010 = May 25
2009 = May 27
2008 = June 3
2007 = June 5

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
That's good news. Market saturation is already so high with AirPods, I'd rather get a gift card of equal value instead of getting a second pair of something I already have.
In the past is any indication, the gift card won't have the same value as AirPods. It will most likely be $100 for Mac and $50 for iPad.

Still, I prefer the gift card over AirPods.
Every retail store except Apple is selling AirPods for $99 now anyway

Reactions: Premium1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.