Apple Sales Strong for Holiday

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Forbes reports on Piper Jaffray analyst research on Apple's sales strength this holiday season.

While retailers are said to have noted that some customers are awaiting the release of the announced Intel-based Macs, that "resellers that are seeing this trend say that it is limited to only a handful of customers."

Meanwhile, iMac sales are stronger than expected and Apple has managed to keep reasonable stock of the iPod at hand for retailers.

All eyes point to Macworld San Francisco for potential updates. The keynote address will be given by Steve Jobs on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at 9:00 a.m PST.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Great to see, especially with the shortage of iPods! I'm glad Apple hasn't been hurt too much by the lack of shuffles and nanos. Hopefully this means the halo effect has taken effect, and these good sales numbers are thanks to PC iPod users making the switch!

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
I'm assuming that these are mostly first time mac buyers, right? Is someone familiar with the system actually going to shell out money now for a pre-intel mac?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
supergod said:
I'm assuming that these are mostly first time mac buyers, right? Is someone familiar with the system actually going to shell out money now for a pre-intel mac?
They might if they are apprehensive about buying a Rev A Intel-Mac and would rather buy something proven which they know will work. Also, Pro users would no doubt want to stick with PPC machines since their professional apps may not be ported yet to x86, and/or they don't want to take a chance with Rosetta, etc. :cool:

iHateWindows said:
Woah... 0 positives and 0 negatives.
Woah... pointless post... :p ;)

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
"resellers that are seeing this trend say that it is limited to only a handful of customers."
Of course its limited. For the most part the only people who know about the transition are geeks, nerds, Mac fans, and professionals who are looking to upgrades. The average consumer is going to be oblivious.

PS - DON'T CELEBRATE ANYTHING. SCREW EVERYONE.
:mad:

There. Everyone fracking happy now? I’m not a god damn religious scholar. I don’t know anything about other religious holidays. I shouldn’t need to. I Googled the ones I remembered. Screw everyone. Bloody spelling Nazis.
I should have just said merry Christmas and left it at that. But NOOOO I had to go and try to do something respectful of some of the other holidays out there. Screw everything!

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
I've done my part. I usually buy 2 Apple computers a year, and a new ipod every year, bunch of software, etc.

Hope I get the speed I need come the switch.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Was anyone really suprised by this.;)

But the whole waiting for intel really shows you how much those so called experts really know. I'm willing to bet that 99% of people who are purchasing doesn't even know about the transition. Heck they probably don't even know what kind of proc is in them now. :p

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Dr. Dastardly said:
But the whole waiting for intel really shows you how much those so called experts really know. I'm willing to bet that 99% of people who are purchasing doesn't even know about the transition. Heck they probably don't even know what kind of proc is in them now. :p
Quite true. A recent example that comes to mind was on a recent episode of "Mad Money" when someone was asking Jim Cramer about servers, processors, Apple, etc. and jim was spewing gibberish about Intel processors, how Apple "wasn't compatible" and all that. Not expecting him to be an expert of course, but I bet you a great deal of people are indeed like this.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I expected Apple sales to be strong this christmas. This is always a good thing to hear.
And I'll help Apple out, I'm buying an iPod with my christmas money. :)

Merry Christmas!

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I'm not surprised. I was at the Apple store a couple days ago and the store was jam packed. Practically everyone was there buying an iPod or some type of accessory for it. Didn't see too many people buying Macs. But of those that were buying Macs, it was mostly the iMac.

Maybe it's time to pick up some more Apple stock.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
SiliconAddict said:
PS - Merry Christmas/Chanuka/Kwanza/Ramadan/[insert other here]
FYI: "Kwanzaa" for most of the 18 million people celebrating what you're most likely referring to is spelled with two A's, not one. Not trying to be a spelling alert nerd, but it is a Proper noun and I thought you'd like to get it right if you happen to make out cards or something.

You misspelled "Chanukah", too.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
JGowan said:
FYI: "Kwanzaa" for most of the 18 million people celebrating what you're most likely referring to is spelled with two A's, not one. Not trying to be a spelling alert nerd, but it is a Proper noun and I thought you'd like to get it right if you happen to make out cards or something.

You misspelled "Chanukah", too.
It's the thought that counts. :)

ColdFlame87

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2004
Woodland Hills, CA
sw1tcher said:
I'm not surprised. I was at the Apple store a couple days ago and the store was jam packed. Practically everyone was there buying an iPod or some type of accessory for it. Didn't see too many people buying Macs. But of those that were buying Macs, it was mostly the iMac.

Maybe it's time to pick up some more Apple stock.
Same here, the apple store at my local mall had a line streching outside the store itself, i had to wait 45 minutes to pick up a replacement ipod suprisingly they had a lot to go around even though about 80 percent of the people in line wanted one. Although somebody did walk out with a quad powermac and a TWO 30 in ACD!!! somebody is going to be happy for christmas! :D

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
ColdFlame87 said:
Same here, the apple store at my local mall had a line streching outside the store itself, i had to wait 45 minutes to pick up a replacement ipod suprisingly they had a lot to go around even though about 80 percent of the people in line wanted one. Although somebody did walk out with a quad powermac and a TWO 30 in ACD!!! somebody is going to be happy for christmas! :D

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!
anybody I might know? :D

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Bay Area, Ca.
What tha? No "Merry Christmas from Macrumors" page? Not even so much as a snow-drenched logo? Wow. Some festive site :|

It's like a few comics that didn't even slightly acknowledge it. I'm kinda appalled, but I'll just say Merry Christmas to all here at MacRumors! :D

(Happy Holidays! )

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
How did this turn into a thread about alternative spellings on different modern versions og the good old Yule celebration...? :rolleyes: :p

Anyway, as an attempt on getting it (slightly back on topic): It's nice to see Apple doing well (especially for us that was Mac users during those grim late 1990s).

My girfriend and I actually, in our own small way even contributed to Apple's good holiday result by ordering presents to each other from Apple Store. Ok, so we didn't actually order any Apple products, but it still increses Apples turnover (;)). I got a LaCie double layer DVD burner, and I got her a carrier bag for her new iBook. :)

So, to bring it back off topic: Have a continued "god jul", as we say in Norwegian... :)

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Nice Job Apple!

I'm so happy that Apple has been doing good this holiday season. 2005 has been one helluva year for Apple! :) I'm so glad I got a iPod w/ Video for Christmas! So freakin awesome!! :D

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
ryannel2003 said:
I'm so happy that Apple has been doing good this holiday season. 2005 has been one helluva year for Apple! :) I'm so glad I got a iPod w/ Video for Christmas! So freakin awesome!! :D

You took the words right from my mouth, only i got a nano.:D