Apple Satellite tracking!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ikach, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ikach macrumors newbie

I have a
    iPhone4
    GSM
    JailBroken
    NO Sim inside
    NO Wifi

In the middle of nowhere, where its even impossible to get connectivity for a mobile phone (India> Mountains), I took a few pictures using the camera

@Home connected the iPhone to the internet, the places immediately showed me the locations where clicked with crazy accuracy!

HOW?:eek:
    Somebody please enlighten me, does Geotagging work like this?
    will 4.3.3 resolve this?

2. gr8tfly, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  3. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Yeah - GPS/Location Services - even with no data connection or anything, the phone can figure out where it is and adds the coordinates to the photo's EXIF data, which then can be interpreted with things like iPhoto or flickr…

4. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

The GPS receiver is a separate chip that communicates with the GPS satellites completely independent of cellular or Wi-Fi networks. You do not need an Internet connection to geotag photos with the coordinates of your location.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

but you can count on when you do get near service or a WiFi your iPhone will send all the informantion to the Apple server!:eek:

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I know your being sarcastic but before some people take out the tin foil hats I want to say this is NOT the case.

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

As the other posters have stated it is based on GPS which is a feature of your phone and has nothing to do with data connectivity. If you do not want your pictures to be tagged with location information then there is an option in settings to turn it off.

8. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Just to add on to what he said the GPSr RECEIVES ONLY. The Sat's in space transmit a signal that does nothing but transmit the exact time. The GPSr Chip in the phone senses these signals and then figures out the location. The Phone's GPSr Chip does NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT transmit any info

9. Vizin, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  10. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

GPS. It operates just like other gps units that also don't require an internet connection (i.e. car gps, hiking gps).

It's interesting to me that Apple's [inferior] implementation using google maps vs. preloaded maps has caused much of the public to believe that it's an internet-related service.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You'd be surprised how many people think that GPS receivers are actually two-way satellite systems, or at least that the satellites themselves have a lot more to do with the process than they actually do. The way media portrays GPS sometimes doesn't help things, either.

I don't think Apple or how they implement mapping has that much to do with it.

And, I guess you could call it inferior if you're okay with having multiple gigabytes of storage on your iPhone occupied with preloaded map data... and then having to contend with periodically updating those maps, or having those maps go out of date. But if you truly find that "superior," thankfully there are apps that remedy that for you.

12. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

Much of the time I actually need and use a gps is in places where there is no cell coverage. I'm a big fan of preloaded maps.

13. Clark Kent macrumors member

Apple should offer the ability to download maps for cities / regions so people can use GPS without an Internet connection.

14. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

They should, although most paid GPS apps (such as even my favorite, the cheap $5 Copilot one) download the maps you need so you're not using data. I think Copilot takes about 1.5GB to store all the North American maps.

I've decided my next iPad will be a 3G one (kicking myself for going the cheap route), simply so I can have a big GPS (and I plan on leaving data turned completely off)