Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AAPLbuyback

macrumors member
May 7, 2023
+1 Fidelity

5% on SPAXX core positions.
VISA 2% cash back deposited monthly.
World wide ATM fee reimbursement and no foreign transaction fee.
Individual HSA you can transfer funds from an employer HSA and invest in anything without any fees.
42 basis points in fees, so your real return is more like 4.58%

Reactions: rhett7660

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
If I'm doing my math right - which I'm probably not because I'm half awake. Your $1000 was giving you $41.50/year before, now it'll be giving you $42.50. That $42.50 is spread across 12 months though. So about $3.54/month assuming you keep just $1000 in the savings account for the whole year.
That $1 increase is what I figured, which is why I'm surprised this whole thing made heading news and has everyone dancing in the streets

Reactions: xxFoxtail

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Even if they were offering 7%, I don’t want any part of my financial life tied to my Apple ID. I use Apple Pay, but if someone compromised my Apple ID I would still have access to those accounts and could manage/block them independently.

I trust the security of my Apple ID more than that of my banks.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
If I'm doing my math right - which I'm probably not because I'm half awake. Your $1000 was giving you $41.50/year before, now it'll be giving you $42.50. That $42.50 is spread across 12 months though. So about $3.54/month assuming you keep just $1000 in the savings account for the whole year.
Your math is right, but a little point on your last sentence. It assumes you keep the $1000 plus the monthly interest in your account the whole year.

Reactions: xxFoxtail

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Regardless of rates, it felt like by advertising their HYSA Apple raised a lot of awareness to a new generation and conveniently other banks started following suit. Hope they figure it all out because being able to have your Apple cash automatically go straight into your HYSA is still something no other company offers.
Although, I’m now in my mid 30’s, Apple made me discover that my bank for the last 20 years (Wells Fargo) has been giving me 0.15% this entire time!

I immediately withdrew all of my savings out and spread them across different HYSA’s. Thank you Apple, for bringing awareness to me and others!

Reactions: alexandr

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I just moved all my money back to Capital One as that’s where my checking account is and I have a credit card with them. Their HYSA is 4.3%. I like it because it’s a liquid savings account that I have easy access to. And Capital One has a savings program where it will take a percentage of your direct deposit and put it in the HYSA each month.

stephenschimpf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2018
San Pedro, CA
Yes, there are better deals, but like I said back when this account was first offered, I wouldn’t have bothered to move my modest emergency savings out of a regular savings account if Apple hadn’t made it so fast and easy [for an existing Apple Card holder].

I don't think any of my accounts have exactly the same rate, but each one is only insured to $250,000, so you have to spread your money around. I wouldn't put everything in an Apple Savings Account (I'm not even sure you can; I think there is a limit to what they accept) but it's really easy to set up and gives you another option.

Reactions: Makayla

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
I don't think any of my accounts have exactly the same rate, but each one is only insured to $250,000, so you have to spread your money around. I wouldn't put everything in an Apple Savings Account (I'm not even sure you can; I think there is a limit to what they accept) but it's really easy to set up and gives you another option.
Hehe, when I said “modest” savings I meant a few thousand dollars. The extra interest I‘ve earned this past year made me happy.

The number of Americans who don’t even have $1,000 saved for an emergency is both alarming and heartbreaking. I feel extremely fortunate that circumstances have allowed me to have zero debt, a little money in savings, and the ability to live frugally while also saving for retirement.

Last edited:

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
And this is a rate you can really feel good about because while you're earning money, Goldman Sachs is paying billions to support you!

velcrovan

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I trust the security of my Apple ID more than that of my banks.

It's not just about security. It's about having legal recourse. Apple ID may have better theoretical security, but if your account does get pwned you are well and truly F#*@cked with no recourse. Apple will not help you. You can lose all your years of family photos. I can mitigate that by having several backups. But I can't back up the cash in an Apple savings account and I am not going to depend on Apple's murky mythical unresponsive support to help me recover the financial side. I would much rather deal directly with the bank.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Y
It's not just about security. It's about having legal recourse. Apple ID may have better theoretical security, but if your account does get pwned you are well and truly F#*@cked with no recourse. Apple will not help you. You can lose all your years of family photos. I can mitigate that by having several backups. But I can't back up the cash in an Apple savings account and I am not going to depend on Apple's murky mythical unresponsive support to help me recover the financial side. I would much rather deal directly with the bank.
You appear to know nothing about how this account works. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.