Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RX64MACBOOKPRO

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
tho the MBP is not really the "ultimate gaming laptop" here it is on their apple gaming page:
http://www.apple.com/games/hardware/index.html#road

text copied from page:
"Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile gaming has moved from the backseat to the driver’s seat with the MacBook Pro. Experience the best games on a 15inch display with the amazing combined power of the Intel Core 2 Duo and two graphics processors to choose from: the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M — both included inside the same notebook, so you can choose between performance or power. The ultimate gaming laptop is just under 1 inch thick and weighs a mere 5.5 pounds — a heavyweight in an ultra light body."

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Probably in the ultra thin profile machines, if you want the ultimate gaming lugbook -- might try of of the portable desktop PCs in a lugbook case.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
tho the MBP is not really the "ultimate gaming laptop" here it is on their apple gaming page:
http://www.apple.com/games/hardware/index.html#road

text copied from page:
"Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile gaming has moved from the backseat to the driver’s seat with the MacBook Pro. Experience the best games on a 15inch display with the amazing combined power of the Intel Core 2 Duo and two graphics processors to choose from: the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M — both included inside the same notebook, so you can choose between performance or power. The ultimate gaming laptop is just under 1 inch thick and weighs a mere 5.5 pounds — a heavyweight in an ultra light body."

Apparently you havnt been reading all of the threads with gamers crying that their macs cant run their fav fantasy games full bore.

crewrules101

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Puffery aka, "Blowing smoke up your ass."

That is called Marketing. Of course Apple are going to say it is the ultimate gaming laptop.

Well you could always go buy, lord forgive me, a Dell or an HP or an AlienWare to play your oh so fav pc games, but as far as the macbook pro goes, it is the MOST ADVANCED MOBILE GAMING PLATFORM available for MAC OS X! If you want to play a PC game on boot camp, go get a friggin PC and be done with a mac. If you are so attached, then the Mac community dosent need you!

DirkBreeuwer

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
Well you could always go buy, lord forgive me, a Dell or an HP or an AlienWare to play your oh so fav pc games, but as far as the macbook pro goes, it is the MOST ADVANCED MOBILE GAMING PLATFORM available for MAC OS X! If you want to play a PC game on boot camp, go get a friggin PC and be done with a mac. If you are so attached, then the Mac community dosent need you!

There is nothing wrong with a user that wants to have an Excelent Operating System as OS X and to be able to once in a while play games in Bootcamp. I've had some pretty good results with games in Bootcamp, better than I thought it would be. (Just the problem of the 9600 card overheating too quickly, but that is not happening in every computer). Mac community need any Mac user.

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
Obviously it's the ultimate gaming laptop for games than run on OS X. Apple doesn't need to take PC apps into account when they say their laptops are ultimate. The same goes for PCs. PC laptops can be "ultimate" even if they can't run Mac apps. Games may be a little different from other types of apps, but I think it's just marketing.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Obvious puffery, the FTC doesn't expect people to take these claims seriously.

Guess the only people that do always get trapped by all the pitchmen on tv, and keep hitting the buy button on the banner ads.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
It is good for games - but obviously not the "ultimate" gaming machine.

I think what Apple is trying to get across is there is no better laptop for gaming at 1 inch thick than the MacBook Pro.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
What I don't get is why serious gamers are buying a) a laptop and b) a Mac. Boggling.

a) because there's no other laptop that matches the MacBook Pro's performance against the size, weight and thickness of it.

b) Mac's have been able to run Windows for some time now, gamers who buy a Mac know that :)

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
a) because there's no other laptop that matches the MacBook Pro's performance against the size, weight and thickness of it.

That might be true, but your statement actually doesn't address the superiority and expandability of desktops vs. laptops for gaming.

b) Mac's have been able to run Windows for some time now, gamers who buy a Mac know that :)

If you are only going to run windows on a computer, why would you pay a premium for a Mac? Especially if you're just going to complain about it's [lack of] performance in the gaming area?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
1. That might be true, but your statement actually doesn't address the superiority and expandability of desktops vs. laptops for gaming.

2. If you are only going to run windows on a computer, why would you pay a premium for a Mac? Especially if you're just going to complain about it's [lack of] performance in the gaming area?

1. So? Desktops will always be better for gaming. We're not saying the MacBook Pro is the ultimate gaming computer it is the ultimate gaming laptop at the thickness and weight.

2. Never said people would only run Windows on it... I have Windows 7 installed solely for games. Big deal.. I use OS X as my main OS, and when I want to play a game, I simply reboot into Windows. As does countless others...

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Apple's not exactly known for being truthful... look at their touting the PPC over the x86 and talking about "why they'd never use Intel CPUs in their computers," etc.

Jobs especially, lol.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Apple could just mean the ultimate gaming laptop out of the computer they sell? That's not lying at all; they didn't specify, but everyone assumed it meant out of all laptop computers.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Compared to my last 2 generations of Macbook Pros, it is much better. I never had a PC run games as good on my older desktop PCs. In my world of gaming, it is the ultimate gaming laptop. It compares better to my prior Powermac G5 when I had the GeForce 6800 card with the same games. That was my best gaming experience on a Mac or PC.

Perhaps my ignorance is bliss since I don't have a PC with upgraded graphics to compare.

Macmoney

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
na
I hate having to use boot camp,crossover,etc.....just to play the
"pc games" Apple has a very low number of studios producing good games for
the platform. Its like all there marbles are in the app/game development for itouch/ipod games.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I would consider it such if I could game for more than 15 seconds without black-screen hard locking my MBP.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
1. So? Desktops will always be better for gaming.

Exactly.

We're not saying the MacBook Pro is the ultimate gaming computer it is the ultimate gaming laptop at the thickness and weight.

You're right- "we" are not saying this, "you" are. The issue of the MBP being good/bad for gaming is a non-issue as far as im concerned, as desktops will always be better. The point is that serious gamers should not be looking into laptops at all.

2. Never said people would only run Windows on it... I have Windows 7 installed solely for games. Big deal.. I use OS X as my main OS, and when I want to play a game, I simply reboot into Windows. As does countless others...

Congratulations? Not sure what this has to do with anything. A serious gamer has no use for OS X. A serious gaming Desktop won't have OS X on it, and if it does (in the form of a Mac Pro) then they've wasted their money. If you'd like to do it yourself, all you have to do is learn some programming and find out how Apple's code works. Nobody's stopping you.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Complete BS. The 9600 is an average card...if that. Yet another attempted RDF statement

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.