Apple Says 2011 MacBook Pro No Longer Eligible For 'Video Issues' Repair Program

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 20, 2017.

1. iToph macrumors regular

2. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

Reflowing is a temporary fix furthermore it can in no way be relied upon to solve the problem. The 2011 MacBook Pro aside the far worst GPU failures are to be found on the 2007-2008 20" iMac. Replacements are available but are very expensive being more than the current value of the machine.

Aside from the current 27" 5k Retina release the sweet spot for iMacs is 2009-2014 and with the Retina MacBook Pro 2012-2014.

3. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

Did the same thing. But now if the screen goes a second time that sadly means the death of my 17".:(

4. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

2012 models used nVidia GPUs, it's not specific to the GPU manufacturer.

5. petrolhead360 macrumors newbie

[QUOTE="throAU, post: 24595335, member: 668533"

I don't actually agree that they should have been liable for anything beyond the warranty period (and I'm one of the affected users). This is what warranties are for - and the failure was in a third party component.[/QUOTE]

This is not the case in Europe as there is protection for consumers upto 6 years(?) I learnt this from an apple employee based in Ireland who's job it is to train the Euro Apple Stores about their obligations. This worked for me. Now the 6 years period has come to end.

6. Mad Macs macrumors newbie

One of the most common reasons the graphics would fail on these machines, and the same even for older models, wasn't actually the GPU. A wrongly spec'd capacitor in the GPU power supply would begin to age in the heat and cause the power supply to become unstable. An easy fix, but why would Apple respin a board when a lot of customers had the problem and just forked out for a new machine.

7. Bacillus macrumors 68020

Bacillus

8. weckart macrumors 601

The failure is in Apple's woeful thermal dissipation. A problem it has had because of its pursuit of thinner, lighter and quieter before the technology was really there to meet its specific design limitations.

AMD and nVidia published the specs for their specific GPU parts. It was up to Apple to incorporate those in a design that would not lead to such thermal loads that solder joints would perish as swiftly as they did.

Third parties have no control over Apple's inadequate ventilation designs in its notebooks nor for the fact that Apple throttles the internal fans via its own firmware for the sake of quietness at the expense of reliability.

You might want to consider why OSX fan utility applications exist, even going back to PowerBook days, if users were in any way convinced that Apple knew what it was doing.
    --- Post Merged, May 21, 2017 ---
    Six years is specific to England and Wales. Possibly also N. Ireland. However it is dependant upon a reasonable estimation of the useful expected life of a purchase. For buildings, this can exceed six years. For computers, you are doing well over two years. With stuff like this YMMV.

9. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

The problem also impacted a select number of iMac mid-2011 as well:

https://9to5mac.com/2013/08/16/appl...-replacement-program-for-some-mid-2011-imacs/

Unfortunately, like you said, they were just replacing the board but the fault hasn't been fixed. I am unsure about the US but under the 'Consumer Guarantees Act' if the replacement doesn't fix fault then one can ask for a full refund as the repair does not fix the fundamental flaw with the product being sold.

Anything with a GPU in a confined space like a laptop is bound to go tits up, I've experienced with Lenovo, Dell, HP, Toshiba etc. so for me I have a laptop for portability hence a MacBook then have my iMac for heavy lifting/grunt for work where the cooling is a lot better.

There is nothing wrong with the 13" MacBook Pro or the MacBook, I would just steer clear of any laptop that has a dedicated GPU because it nothing but trouble - that goes for Mac or Wintel laptop.

10. Morky macrumors regular

Spot on. I have a late 2011. Had the logic board replaced two years ago (RIP, Techserve) and put in a 1TB SSD recently. It's so fast with the SSD I have zero need to replace it, so the time bomb aspect is a bummer. 10 years ago a seven year old machine was an unusable museum piece. Increased longetivy is definitely part of reason for the decline in PC sales.

11. Xtir macrumors newbie

Great response from this proprietary only supplier after letting lots of E2011 Mac-owners crash with the OSX 10.12.4 update with no way to restore. After direct inquiries by their tech 'support' they ('red Apple') they probably came to this conclusion.

A perfectly working MBP E2011 ruined, and now officially beyond repair, thanks Apple!

Instead of buying an overpriced old Mac, now proud new owner of a Asus based and allready Kaby lake supported Windows system. Will miss OSX, but need to determine my hardware myself.
    --- Post Merged, May 21, 2017 ---
    Yeah really nuts, but since the update to OSX 10.12.4 lots (therefore not a 'small percentage') of these macowners are stuck with white/grey screens, with no chance of repair. Probably the 'switch' Apple did build in OSX to deal with this problem was 'forgotten' in this version to force these owners to buy new Macs. Thanks Apple!

12. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Same for me.

But 4 months ago the problem happened, out of the blue. I had my logic board replaced in just 1 day.

13. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

I had my early 11's logic board replaced once back in 2013 after the computer refused to turn on anymore (not sure if this is the same issue?). Now, I still frequently use it 4 years later and haven't had any issues. I'm hoping it doesn't plan on dying on me anytime soon. I'll probably be upgrading to the new one being announced next month.

14. doctrsnoop macrumors newbie

No they did not. I had a 15 that died twice. After the second I sold it.

15. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Never had this issue on mine from new, but I've seen it a few times from customers in the workshop.

16. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Ahh, my first Mac. It was super annoying when my 2011 15" failed 3 times, but then they swapped it out for a 2013 15" retina.

17. cube macrumors G5

They refused to repair mine in January saying they did not have parts.

18. SirMeowington5 macrumors member

I was just hit by this two weeks ago.

The store in the Netherlands where I got the laptop from wants to charge me 100,- for an "inspection" and then 700+ for repairs. They said they could try and file a consumer claim against Apple for the repairs but they're not saying how successful they think the claim will be.

At this point it doesn't seem worth it for me to pay 100,- for someone to tell me what I already know, and 700+ for a repair which could fail literally the next day.

19. Tman152 macrumors newbie

I had this issue 4 times. The last time was in February 2017. The Apple Store told me the program was over, but since California law required them to still fix it for a year they would be able to offer me a logic board replacement for $600.

I refused, and bitched and bitched trying to get it replaced for free. Just for reference, the last board replacement before that was 5 months earlier. I asked for permanent solution, like a 2012 MacBook Pro where they switch to Nvidia cards and added air holes on the side of the case.

They wouldn't budge. The only thing they gave me was $500 off a new MacBook Pro.

20. Brenster macrumors 6502a

Typing this on my late 2011 MBP with a logic board replacement under the programme 2 years ago. Since put in 8GB and an SSD and it runs great. I guess the program had to end at some point. Full marks to Apple for sorting it when they did, had great value because of it since buying the machine in 2011. Can't remember the last time I got 6 years use out of any machine.

21. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

How on earth did you find such a spectacular idiot that would pay $1900 in 2017 on used 2011 laptop?!?
    In perfect condition that thing is worth $500 tops

22. SirMeowington5 macrumors member

Guaranteed troll trying to make people in a ****** situation feel even ********.

23. anita7 macrumors newbie

I took mine (15" early 2011) for repair back in March 2015. They replaced the logic board and the same problem happend mid January 2017. I took it again for repair and they refused to even take a look at it. I called Apple support and they said they no longer produce spare parts for that model as it is "vintage". My question is, how come they had spare parts up until Dec 31st 2016 and on Jan 15 2017 (15 days after the repair program expired) they do not have them?? I wanted to pay for the repair but they said it was not possible! Basically I can throw it away and most definitely I will not buy Apple EVER again! I was a big Apple fan, but after the way they treated me I will never advice anyone to buy Apple!

24. UL2RA Suspended

You'd be surprised. I sold a 2006 iMac a couple years ago for $800.

25. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Proverbial question: How many engineers does it take to replace one light bulb?
    Today's question: How many motherboard replacements does it take to ignite a desire to upgrade?