Apple Says 2011 MacBook Pro No Longer Eligible For 'Video Issues' Repair Program

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 20, 2017.

1. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

How did you sell a 6 year old computer for $1900?

2. UL2RA Suspended

People grossly overvalue Apple products while also being ignorant.

3. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

Well, I guess it's a good thing that mine already died. :(

4. cube macrumors G5

You mean downgrade, be it hardware or OS.

5. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Not entirely. Really. My 2016 MBP is definitely performing better than my 2011 MBP. Some animation glitches are, I believe, just Apple not optimising as best as they can, more than the hardware being not powerful enough.

But, that said, the ones who are using their machines differently than I am, and often pushing it to its limits and more, CPU-wise and memory-wise, may say something else, depending on their expectations and requirements.

I agree wholeheartedly with respect to software. But hardware, not quite. Software wise, I came on Mac with a hackintosh 10.4 and it was any day better than today. 10.6? Pure heaven in terms of speed. 10.12? Hahahaha... in a way. But, I think, a lull always comes. And then, goes.

6. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

You got me a little worried now.

7. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

huh? who are you saying is the troll? Me, or the guy who claims he sold a 2011 macbook pro for the completely absurd price of $1900. For that price, the buyer could have gotten a maxed out 2015 model. Just defies all logic.

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Believe me I was in the same predicament a lot of you were. I had 8 logic board replacements in the 1 year after buying it. After having just bought AppleCare (this was about 2 weeks after the 1 year limited expired) the Apple Store opted to replace it for an 'upgrade fee' for a 2012 Retina, even though the new Retina cost less at the time then what I had paid for my 2011 (my 2011 was a maxed out CTO: 128GB SSD, 4GB of RAM, 2.3GHz i7, 6770m). I had another 5 logic board replacements in the 2012 model over the next year. My account was 'flagged' with upper store management for multiple repairs. I guess my FCPX workflow was no match for those cards.

My 2015 Iris Pro 15" is still chugging along (knock on wood).

9. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

All I can say is, if you sell something like that for that kind of price to someone who you suspect doesn't know any better, you should be ashamed of yourself.
    --- Post Merged, May 21, 2017 ---
    It's gotta be total BS. There is no one that stupid.

10. UL2RA Suspended

It came with a lot of software the buyer wanted, so it wasn't for the hardware only. I appreciate you being judgmental though.

11. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

you're welcome

12. mossme89 macrumors 6502

My brother's mac suffers from this issue. Completely makes the dedicated GPU worthless and the entire machine when it switches to the dedicated GPU upon boot. I installed an app to turn off the dedicated GPU but sometimes it doesn't work. I got the laptop a month before the repair expirstion date and it didn't start exhibiting symptoms until after the date had passed.

Companies should be required to fix it as many times as it happens while under warranty and 1 time after it is out of warranty or issue a recall and refunds. Them setting artificial deadlines of when they will stop fixing the issue for free is just a way to say "see we are doing something!" while still taking in the repair bucks from people who have their machines fail AFTER the date.

13. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

You must have a good luck on this one. This machine is a beast... comparing with my MacBook Air late 2014, with poultry 128GB SSD and 4GB of ram with a price tag of around 1200 AUD. :(

14. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

I was surprise when it happened, I was going to lower the price a bit further. It took 2 months to sell, but I switched from making it a 1 week listing to a good till sold on ebay and that is when the watcher count really built up on it.
    It was primarily a stationary computer and it was protected, so it did look like new.
    It was a late 2011 17" 2.5GHz model that I had bumped up to the 16gb ram, with a 2tb ssd and swapped the superdrive for blu-ray and the logic board was replaced recently at Apple.
    Used the money to pay off the 2015 macbook pro I just purchased.

15. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

Apple itself sells ancient hardware (Mac Pro and Mac Mini) for outrageous prices too.

16. UL2RA Suspended

Yes, they do. :/

17. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

How exactly is he awful at his job? He warns his customers that their computer will most likely break in the near future if it hasn't already broken at this point. If he was awful at his job, he would take it in for repair and charge the customer money knowing damn well it will happen again. Seems to me he's just being honest. As the owner of a repair shop in California, I would do the same exact thing. I used to work for a shop that would take these things in for repair, charge $299 to fix the VGA chip, and the problem would return within a few months. It was past the 90 day warranty period so the customers were SOL. Now that I own my own shop I'll never screw a customer over like that. Well done @digitalrampage , I would do exactly the same thing.

18. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Mate that's an almost 6 year old computer. That's pretty decent coverage.

19. GabrielMoro macrumors member

GabrielMoro

This is awful. They replaced all logic boards with the SAME MODEL. I'm just waiting for mine to die again... And probably never get another MacBook.
    --- Post Merged, May 21, 2017 ---
    It isn't. It was their fault to put a faulty logic board in it. If they weren't sued, they wouldn't replace it.

20. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits

I have mine in my projector room and it works OK, even tho I had to neuter the kexts for the GPU. I have update system for it, but I use it for RPG times and gaming... I just don't see why since it's a 2011, I have to throw it away, with 500 GB ssd with 200 GB on it and 16 GB of RAM. I don't want to throw it away OK? Like I said in a different post I have an 840av+G3/266 psuedo pbx/fax system using the Apple Phone software from Apple with Flash Drives for both machines and that's circa 1993 and 1999, so 24 years old and 18 years old. I kept them running and they do things that modern computers can't do. Why do I have to throw them away? They run flawlessly :(

21. SirMeowington5 macrumors member

... obviously, the guy who claims to have sold a 2011 MBP for $1900...

22. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

Yea, no matter what upgrade you did to that 6 year old laptop, no one should have paid nearly $2000 for it.

23. stewy macrumors regular

You don't have to toss them... I have a 2007 white crackbook acting as my plex server. A 2010 15" MBP that I actually just purchased a couple of months ago (didn't pay $1900 tho :) ), in this model you can fix the GPU issue by replacing a bad capacitor... I did the fix and it's working well. I've also got a 2008 MacBook (the only aluminum MacBook) that I need to find a purpose for... I bought that new and it's in excellent shape. These machines will run quite well when you max out the RAM and upgrade to an SSD.

24. AmazingRobie, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017

AmazingRobie macrumors regular

For all who read this, especially those who are would-be 1st time Apple owners. All of the stories of faulty products are not exaggerations and are not rare occurances. I have been an Mac user since 2001 when i bought my first BTO Macbook Pro which had multiple video chip failures with multiple repairs needed, screen went out and needed replaced, my next products were (x2) 2011 iMacs, both had video chip failures, failed hard drives and now half of one of the screens is dark. Theres been multiple iphones from the 3GS (volume rocker fell off), 4 (bad antennae design), and currently the SE (havent had long enough to find its weakness, but have learned my lesson to use the assistive touch instead of physical buttons). So Apple is not "premium" in anything other than the price tag. Apple made us pay for every repair. Now, I am clinging onto the 2011 iMacs because my next, if there is one, computer will be some kind of PC, hopefully someone will have a hackintosh by then that runs macOs I can build that wont be a huge ordeal, but there is no way I will ever pony up another dime to support the dips##ts that design these machines with cheap parts that consistently fail and are expensive to repair. So buyer beware. You have been warned.

25. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I've had all sorts of issues on my Mac's over the years, but nothing compared my PC issues over the years.

I always get Apple Care on my machines because of the issues.

I'm thinking along your lines though. I believe my next computer will be a hackintosh. For the price I don't see the risk.