Apple Says Battery Performance Varies 2-3% Between Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

NachoSH

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Spain
Tomorrow I'm picking up mine (6S+). I'm not going out of the store with it if it has the Samsung chip.

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I'd like to see a real world test run the batteries down 100 to 0. Include some heavy tasks like goat simulator.

For some reason, I doubt the difference is so small.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
There will be 'good' Samsung and 'bad' TSMC chips. Manufacturing tolerances and all that.
The Samsung-equipped 6S+ I returned with a faulty home button actually had longer battery life than the TSMC replacement I'm using now, and yet all I keep reading is how much better the TSMC chips are. People are getting WAY too obsessed with this. They're all ever so slightly different!

Last edited:

keeper

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
Ive got a Samsung chip, phone runs great, fast and cool with no issues with battery, how many issues can people try and find with a phone, Apple has so many fragile paranoid users.

NachoSH

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Spain
Ive got a Samsung chip, phone runs great, fast and cool with no issues with battery, how many issues can people try and find with a phone, Apple has so many fragile paranoid users.
I understand that you're not having any problems with the battery life on your phone (because it isn't a real problem), but I feel ripped off, because I'm spending 1000€ on an iPhone that is inferior to others...

Reactions: Serickmetz

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
Samsung chip here, and also get great battery life on my 6s. In fact my friend who moans about his 6s battery life has the TSMC chip. Go figure.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I understand that you're not having any problems with the battery life on your phone (because it isn't a real problem), but I feel ripped off, because I'm spending 1000€ on an iPhone that is inferior to others...
Try buying a 6+...

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
This response from Apple is actually completely predictable, and their explanation, likely written by their PR and lawyers, is not unreasonable.

There are many other components in the iPhone that drain the battery on regular daily use. So a test that turned almost everything off, and only stresses the A9 processor is not the most representative. I do buy that.

I guess it all comes down to how you use the iPhone. That extra few percents of battery power in theory could allow you to make one additional life-saving phone call. But I wonder how many owners actually use their iPhones down to 0% battery level regularly.

Reactions: ljusmc

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
No you don't have to do that. A free safe app in the appstore "battery memory system status monitor" is enough.
Hopefully after 1st or 2nd box you will besatisfied, not sure how many phone store will go through before they kick you out. Because the ones you open other customers won't. Unless you will accept previously opened phones.

Reactions: jpgr15
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.