Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Shortly after the full-size HomePod launched in 2018, some customers noticed that the speaker left white rings on wood surfaces with an oil or wax finish. Apple confirmed this possibility in a support document, noting that "it is not unusual for any speaker with a vibration-damping silicone base to leave mild marks when placed on some wooden surfaces," as a result of "oils diffusing between the silicone base and the table surface."

HomePod-rings-1.jpg
White rings left behind by the full-size HomePod via The Wirecutter

Fortunately, Apple says that it has addressed this matter with the HomePod mini, according to Rene Ritchie's review video:

It is unclear if Apple ever made any changes to the full-size HomePod to prevent it from leaving marks on waxed or oiled wood surfaces. Apple's support document, last updated in March 2020, still has a blurb about the matter:
It is not unusual for any speaker with a vibration-damping silicone base to leave mild marks when placed on some wooden surfaces. The marks can be caused by oils diffusing between the silicone base and the table surface, and will often go away after several days when the speaker is removed from the wooden surface. If not, wiping the surface gently with a soft damp or dry cloth may remove the marks. If marks persist, clean the surface with the furniture manufacturer's recommended cleaning process. If you're concerned about this, we recommend placing your HomePod on a different surface.
HomePod mini will begin arriving to customers on Monday, November 16. Priced at $99, the speaker is available to order in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Spain, and the UK. Read our HomePod mini reviews roundup and unboxing videos roundup for more impressions of the speaker.

Article Link: Apple Says HomePod Mini Won't Leave Marks on Waxed or Oiled Wood Surfaces

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
My mahogany furniture has never been affected by this and I believe the right wing of our house has about 10 homepods scattered around.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
It must be popular and/or in very low supply - apple website currently showing January for delivery (UK).

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
I should’ve have purchase the original HomePod when it was on sale for 199.00 Waiting for Best Buy to have it on sale again.
I'm sure it will be on sale. The original factory run are (or at least were earlier this year) still being sold. Not exactly huge demand.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I should’ve have purchase the original HomePod when it was on sale for 199.00 Waiting for Best Buy to have it on sale again.
You’re still in luck, with black Friday coming, I would keep an eye on any other discounts. I don’t think to many retailers in ‘brick and mortar’ stores will discount the it all that much, but Online third-party vendors will probably try to liquidate any overstock.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
I wonder what would happen if you placed the HomePod on top of an iPhone 12 leather case? Surely that would result in a ring happening? ?

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Can you finally set the EQ for this thing? Maybe even ask Siri to bump up the bass?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.