Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPad-Pro-Cable-250x174.jpg
Apple has confirmed that updating to iOS 9.2 should prevent an issue that caused some iPad Pros to become unresponsive after charging from continuing in the future.

Shortly after the launch of the iPad Pro, some early adopters began complaining about an issue that caused the 12.9-inch tablet to become unresponsive after charging, requiring a hard restart to restore functionality.

Apple acknowledged the problem in a support document on its website, stating that it was "investigating" the issue, and has now updated that support document to reflect that "iOS 9.2 or later" should prevent the issue from occurring again.

The issue affected both 32GB and 128GB iPad Pros on iOS 9.1, including Wi-Fi and LTE models, and some users speculated that restoring from an iCloud backup during setup may have contributed to the freezing issues.

iOS 9.2 was released on Tuesday alongside OS X 10.11.2, tvOS 9.1 and watchOS 2.1.

Article Link: Apple Says iOS 9.2 Fixes Unresponsive iPad Pro Issues

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Or later? That makes it sound like 9.2 might actually not fix the problem, and we might have to wait for a later release for the fix.

Confused...

Are there developer betas on the go that are later than 9.2? That might explain the comment...

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Haven't noticed this issue or checked for it but I had an update afternoon yesterday on all the devices.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
First coding: Put the stuff you want the product to do (90% Good)
Alpha code: Test it in house and fix the stuff that's broken (99% Good)
Beta code: Test it with users and fix the stuff you didn't think would break that the beta testers found (99.99% Good)
Release code: Test it in the real world and fix the stuff that you didn't think would break that the customers found (99.999% Good)

(note: the "goodness" numbers are pulled from my posterior, but here's the thing... if you have a million lines of code, and you're at 99.999%, you still have 10 lines of code that are bad, so if anything, I'm guessing way low on my percentages. Oh yeah, it only takes 1 line of code to really mess things up.)

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
My Pro did it twice (the first week), after that, it has been fine. I read many others only had the issue the first week or so as well. Weird.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
How about fixing the iPhone which has the same issue, Apple? Just yesterday morning I grabbed my phone and had to enter my code which means the phone rebooted on its own.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Great, news, while I don't own a IPP, I can understand how frustrating that issue is, especially given the cost of the IPP

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Don't have a Pro BUT I do have an iPad 3 that I updated to 9.0.2 and, after doing so, it operated slower than pouring molasses.

I updated to 9.2 last night and the iPad 3 is acting like it got a shot of adrenalin - what . a . difference.

Reactions: Jetcat3

jw77777

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
this update also fixed this issue since day 1 of having the iPad Pro. glad the fix came sooner than later. :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
No problems ever on my iPad Pro, thankfully...

...except for one: too-rapid battery drain. Turns out the YouTube app was the culprit. It burns battery while in the background, just like Facebook got caught doing! EVEN despite the fact that:

- I turned off YouTube background updates in Settings

- I rarely use YouTube at all (yet it's my biggets battery user, greater even than Safari which I use constantly, and rivaling 3D games)

- I never log into Google so there's nothing to synch

- I've disabled Google's sending of diagnostic data

- I've rebooted the iPad

Suggestion: uninstall the app and use YouTube in the browser until it behaves. (I do think this is a recent issue and so likely to be fixed by Google.)

Reactions: FasterQuieter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.