Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today a new series of WikiLeaks leaks revealed the United States Central Intelligence Agency's efforts to hack iPhones. The leaks detail a number of iOS exploits that can be used to bypass security on devices. Tonight, Apple said in a statement provided to TechCrunch that most of the vulnerabilities detailed in the leaks have been patched.

ios9security.jpg

"Apple is deeply committed to safeguarding our customers' privacy and security. The technology built into today's iPhone represents the best data security available to consumers, and we're constantly working to keep it that way. Our products and software are designed to quickly get security updates into the hands of our customers, with nearly 80 percent of users running the latest version of our operating system. While our initial analysis indicates that many of the issues leaked today were already patched in the latest iOS, we will continue work to rapidly address any identified vulnerabilities. We always urge customers to download the latest iOS to make sure they have the most recent security updates."
Apple says its initial analyses indicates that many of the exploits detailed were patched in the latest version of iOS, and that it will continue to patch identified vulnerabilities. The Cupertino company closes by saying that it always urges users to download and install the latest version of iOS to ensure that they have the most recent security updates.

The Vault 7 revelations aren't the first time the CIA has targeted Apple's mobile devices. In 2015 it was reported that the CIA worked on ways to compromise both iPhones and iPads.

The full list of so-called "Year Zero" documents can be found on found on WikiLeaks' website.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Says Many of the Vulnerabilities Detailed in 'Vault 7' Leaks Already Patched

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Does Apple patch security holes in older versions of iOS?
Would someone on an older phone such as an iPhone 4s or 5 be vulnerable?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Great news!
[doublepost=1488946354][/doublepost]
Even though this is the cia's doing , I'm finding it tough to believe Cook ISNT a globalist pig.

Maybe the whole privacy thing is just good PR and now they're e caught with their pants down on this one.

Better privacy than google android , but not really at this point since everything is fair game
Kinda hard to beat someone with unlimited resources. TC is doing the best he can.

intofx

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
It will always be a cat and mouse game. I think Apple is one of the most proactive and pro-privacy companies around.

Its funny how people complain about how many updates and betas Apple seeds yet read a article like this and complain about how there are holes that need to be patched.

The perfect product will never exist. It will always take progression and innovation.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Great news!
[doublepost=1488946354][/doublepost]
Kinda hard to beat someone with unlimited resources. TC is doing the best he can.

This is true. But I guess I Just mean in terms of him always being political. And in thee end still not changing anything but just being annoying.

He should be a CEO. Want to be an activist? Fine, don't pretend to care to the utmost extreme for turning a blind eye to $2/HR wages at the factory for making iDevices at break neck speeds.

Make apple great again

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Hopefully they'll be faster than the bad guys that are doubtlessly poring over the leaked code at this moment. In any case, I'm pretty sure iOS devices will be fixed much faster than most Android phones, not to mention things like smart TVs ...
Is this really the thread to bring that silly iOS vs Android crap? Instead of my OS is better than your OS, how about hoping that this serves as a wake up call to the tech industry that security should be paramount in the products being put out in the public. It should be a wake up call to the big players, but more importantly to the smaller IoT players as well. That's a vector that ripe for exploit. Oh, and I wouldn't be so overjoyed by Apple's statement that many of the vulnerabilities have been patched. It means many others haven't been. Also keep in mind, those were just the leaked vulnerabilities. Dollars to doughnuts the CIA has other nasty stuff that wasn't leaked. It's the CIA after all. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the leak didn't all of a sudden make them stop working on more nefarious means which they will go to extremes to keep from leaking. It's an ongoing battle and iOS looks to be a favorite target of the CIA's armaments.

This post isn't really directed at you personally Rigby. Just my rant against turning this topic into something that takes the focus off what we need to be focused on.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
This is true. But I guess I Just mean in terms of him always being political. And in thee end still not changing anything but just being annoying.

He should be a CEO. Want to be an activist? Fine, don't pretend to care to the utmost extreme for turning a blind eye to $2/HR wages at the factory for making iDevices at break neck speeds.

Make apple great again

That's pretty unfair. You could be the most generous person in the world, but you could be criticize for the most minute things like stepping on an ant. It's not realistic to be something for ALL people. Pick your battles.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
What about the Mac EFI exploit? It's unclear if it worked, but if it did that's one heck of a piece of engineering.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
That's pretty unfair. You could be the most generous person in the world, but you could be criticize for the most minute things like stepping on an ant. It's not realistic to be something for ALL people. Pick your battles.

I'm not criticizing for stepping on an ant. I'm criticizing for doing little to fix the Foxconn issues, and treating their manufacturing workforce like disposable ants, generally speaking with other companies too like Pegatron that do the same but apple also uses, and being based in Chynnnuh, constantly feeling the need to react to anything the president does internally in a memo to his employees too

I am picking my battles thanks

Also outside of the whole unlocking the iPhone thing with obama at the end and unlocking that 5c from the san barandino tragedy and apple doubling down on security (good), that stood to put apple in harms way publicly speaking I don't remember cook repeatedly speaking out about obama wrongdoing. Whereas now it feels rampant.

Where was the outrage over 2.5 million immigrants deported during obama terms?

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Everyone's vulnerable is the takeaway

I would rather be on the OS where the manufacturer is constantly issuing security updates. To put it in perspective the Android equivalent of the iPhone 4S would be the Samsung Galaxy S2. Support for the Galaxy S2 would be unthinkable. That's the testament to the longevity of iPhones that people expect.
[doublepost=1488948088][/doublepost]
I'm not criticizing for stepping on an ant. I'm criticizing for doing little to fix the Foxconn issues, and treating their manufacturing workforce like disposable ants, generally speaking with other companies too like Pegatron that do the same but apple also uses, and being based in Chynnnuh, constantly feeling the need to react to anything the president does internally in a memo to his employees too

I am picking my battles thanks

Apple is treating their employees at Foxconn better than most. What about Samsung that has exposed their employees to cancer inducing chemicals?
How would they be patched if Apple just learned about them today?

And what makes you think Apple just learned about them today?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.