Apple says more iPhone features still to come....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boss1, Nov 12, 2007.

1. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'm still hoping for wireless syncing...not that I'm getting the iPhone... :rolleyes:

3. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

we all have our hopes for new features, but its just a matter of time before the SDK so we can make them ourselves....

4. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

If they don't add some real basic features (MMS, SMS forwarding, Call Timers, etc...) the competition is going to fly right by them.

A fun interface is only fun for so long....

I believe Apple is going to step it up in the new year when they open it to 3rd party support. Or is that I *hope* they step it up?

Geez, how tough is a call timer, or MMS?

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I don't see a point about MMS on the iPhone. Everyone made such a big deal about it before the iPhone was out, but cmon, is there really a need for it? Just my opinion.

And besides, MMS has little to do with Apple (software), it's more of an ATT decision.

6. walnuts macrumors 6502

Gigity gigity- this sounds exciting- they said that "all of the complaints and feature requests" they've had are software updatable (and that is from the apple spokesperson) but who knows...

Less exciting, I read in the MacNN report on this article that an analyst reported that the next update wouldn't be for a while (not until February with the SDK).

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

That's a guess.

There more than likely will be an update sooner to fix any jailbreaking progress, or fix the ringtone mistake on their half.

Seems kind of odd Apple hasn't put 1.1.2 on iTunes yet.

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

if I really want to send a picture from my iphone I email it, and don't get charged for a message like I would with an MMS package. Sounds fine to me too :)

9. boss1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

boss1

Wireless syncing would be pretty cool. I think that would probably manifest in a 2nd gen iPhone as a hardware upgrade.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Why? The iPhone can do it now as it is hardware wise, it just needs to be added / enabled software wise.

11. rayward macrumors 65816

I'm guessing/hoping that a bunch of software types were released from Leopard at its release, and are beavering away on an iPhone software update.

12. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I'm hoping for more capable bluetooth. As in sync with iSync (itunes takes ages to load), file transfer (and include a file browser on the iPhone) and stereo headsets. Its all potential software udpates, but there features me 2 year old nokia has!

13. boss1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

boss1

I think Apple is trying to tread lightly. This would explain a ton, including why 1.1.2 has been a discreet patch.

I'm not surprised that 1.1.2 targets the TIFF exploit but not the ringtone hole.

It's almost as if Apple is making a statement with a 1.1.2 patch that says, "HEY! we don't want you to unlock it, we care about security so we're going to plug the TIFF thing, BUT we're not trying to kill good 3rd party developer efforts or consumer moral so we're going to let the ringtone thing slide for now ;)"

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Agreed. But Apple opened up the ringtone hole on this update, which is odd...

15. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Yes, I was hoping Leopard on MacOSX would release some new features on the coupled mobile OSX devices. Things like A2DP on the iPhone.

I can quite believe that version 2.0.0 of the firmware will come in Feb though with minor updates as we go along.

16. boss1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

boss1

yah i know, and I thought about how easily Apple could implement this via software with the current hardware (just as you describe) before i posted that they prob won't until version 2.

I really can't say why, other than i really don't think they will? hrrm I guess i could elaborate better than that.....

I think Apple would want to fully develop their ability to sync AND charge iPhone's & iPods before rolling it out. Otherwise you'd still have to plug in your iPhone to charge it ... well then why not sync it also. what's the real benefit of allowing you to wireless sync something your going to plug in anyways?

I guess I'm just of the belief that Apple will roll out sync & charge wirelessly at the same time for a new model....not this one.

17. DogcowUK macrumors member

My most wanted features are:

1. MMS - I'd say 99% of UK phones are not configured for email access, mms usage is therefore huge.

2. SMS Improvements - message forwarding, individual message deletion, horizontal screen support.

3. Call timers and message counters.

4. Bluetooth file transfer for contacts and images.

Those four areas have to be at the top of of Apples list in my mind.

18. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I'd add bluetooth data to that - at the moment if I travel anywhere I have to leave the iphone at home & use my other phone because it won't link with the tomtom, but other than that it's spot on.. those are the things that make me think twice about which phone to pick up in the morning.

19. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Wow.... that's an out of touch statement. This is a BIG deal for those that use it. I personally enjoy the pics that friends (read: girls) send me. They make my day more enjoyable.

20. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

What is it apple have done with the ringtones and how do you get them onto iTunes

21. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

get those 4 in aswell as video recording and it's the best phone on the market, no argument

22. murdoc158 macrumors regular

I'd also like to see real-time GPS with Google Maps perhaps, 3G support, and video capability. The GPS and 3G support would only be possible with a hardware update correct?

23. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I've sent two MMS messages in my life. I've had a mobile for over 10 years. Us Europeans are (apparently) more SMS and MMS minded than our American cousins but I have never received an MMS or know of anyone that uses them. Its a nice feature to have but never really captured peoples imagination. Why waste time trying to incorporate something that will hardly be used? Personally I think a camera on a phone is pointless too. Its a nice feature but until you can take decent photographs on a phone then its a waste of time.

24. DrCamel macrumors newbie

Erm, MMS is a BIG feature that is missing.

Here in the UK we use it a LOT! I love my iPhone, but already I am missing the ability to send pictures to my friends in a way that they will be able to see them without having to wait until they get home. MMS is great for pissed up evenings, well, great for the person with the camera :D

I really hope that apple sort out MMS soon, being a software feature (the network, O2 supports MMS, the hardware supports it (GSM), it's just Apple that needs to sort out the software), I am sure it is something that we will see in the next few firmware's.

DrCamel

25. jontucker macrumors 6502

I have sent about 3 MMS messages in my entire life so it really is no loss for me.

Am I right in thinking though that on some networks, if you're phone doesn't support MMS, you get a web address to go to so you can view the picture or your drunk mates arse? I know that doesnt help with sending them but it would with the receiving!