Apple Says New iMacs Geared Towards Pros Coming Later This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 4, 2017.

1. billzy macrumors newbie

It's true, though, that an announcement of some kind after such a long refresh cycle is welcome. I was certainly starting to entertain other possibilities.

2. jonathanharpur macrumors newbie

jonathanharpur

will they still offer a i7 cpu as a exon would be a bit much for some one like my self plus consider the cost of the pro why dos every one want a new one i have a 27 5k iMac with i7 cpu 3tb fusion drive and 16 ram and a MacBook pro 13inch 500 sad drive and 16 ram with i7 cpu both got in 2015 and i hop not to change them to attest till I'm 30 I'm 24 now

3. Appleaker macrumors 68020

I don't think considering other possibilities was reasonable in the case of the iMac. It was using up-to-date components until the end of 2016/the beginning of 2017, so it couldn't really have been updated significantly.
    I think it's more reasonable that people were worried about the Mac Pro. Despite many people with information, such as myself, stating that the Mac Pro is not dead, they needed to hear it from Apple directly as their commitment seemed quesionable and switching to PC became more and more appealing.

4. Scrivener macrumors member

Oh my! My tongue is dragging the road base. I'm dreaming, I know, seeing a modular iMac with both 34 inch and a 38 inch 8K monitor as options. I see a new, genuine, soft touch keyboard instead of the RSI beast they now call 'magic' - Should have called it Voldemort. Nasty nasty beast.
    Dream on!

5. AliceDK macrumors newbie

I don't know if this is good news - not for me at least. :)

I just don't hope that Apple will abandon the entry- to mid-level users with their "iMac Pros" and leave us with the basic iMacs. They are a complete joke today.

6. Bacillus, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

I don't see anything.
    Like a MacPro for amateurs, I can't envision what they'd actually want with an iMac for Pros.
    Drawing on a huge, immobile iOS device with some pencil that you can't stow away (= both the pencil and the screen) ? Or some huge iMac screen driven by a headless modular Mac (not the current subspec Mac Pro, because that's for amateurs) ?

This citation says soo much about their mindset:
    "That is a pretty incredible evolution that we've seen over the last decade. The original iMac, you never would've thought as remotely touching pro uses."
    No, we wouldn't, because that's not evolution, but lack of evolution: due to severe neglect somewhere higher up, a midrange model is now outpacing everything else.
    So now, if they'd bring out some superspec iMac ("sometime this year", or next, let's not commit ourselves), then what would be the aim of a new Mac Pro (somewhere on the "horizon") ?
    I mean, is it me, or are the Apple Board members so much confused themselves, that they can't address the people and the markets anymore ?
    It's so pathetic. If they lamentate enough, the 1997 Performa will become the new Mac Pro substitute.

7. clemensg macrumors newbie

Why, but why, can't they use NVIDIA GPUs.... ? Please, Apple. Don't always use that AMD crap.

8. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

That was one cool design. I vote that as the best iMac design of them all.

9. SandWyrm macrumors newbie

SandWyrm

What would be the point? I have the 5K iMac, and you already can't see the pixels.

What we really need is an Apple-designed thunderbolt upgrade box so we can use the latest GPU cards or whatever else new comes up.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 30, 2017 ---
    Make sure that you go to a Microsoft store and try that one out first. The first gen Surface Studio has hands-down the worst pen tracking that I've ever seen. Even drawing against a straight edge, the line wobbles worse than any Wacom tablet. An Apple-Pencil enabled screen for the iMac could be fun. But honestly there wouldn't be much of a market for it.

But if you've got an iPad Pro, there's an app called Astropad Studio that will let you use it as an ultra-accurate Wacom replacement.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 30, 2017 ---
    Astropad Studio does a great job of turning your iPad Pro into a Wacom.

10. Rantipole macrumors 6502

Rantipole

That doesn't make sense. The current iMac has basically the same specs it had in the fall of 2015, almost two YEARS ago. How could they have not updated those significantly?

11. Pilgrim1099 Suspended

That's what I heard but I can't use AstroPad Studio because my 2010-11 iMac doesn't have the latest OS update and am using Adobe CS 5 which I worry may malfunction if I upgrade to Sierra.

But have you seen any lag on the standard Astropad? I was thinking of getting that one but I'm leery about the reviews stating a few flaws.

12. SandWyrm macrumors newbie

SandWyrm

On the "standard" Astropad, yes there is some lag. But on the paid subscription "Studio" version, there is absolutely none at all. Even over WiFi.
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2017 ---
    In terms of CPU and memory capacity, the last run of iMacs are still as good as they can be until Intel gets new parts out. I guess you could bump up the GPU a little, and add Thunderbolt 3, but that's about it.

13. Appleaker macrumors 68020

With the move to Thunderbolt 3, and a redesign due around now, not to mention the new Mac design language that is already found in their notebooks and magic peripherals, it would make sense for them to bring out a redesigned Mac next. Along with the Pro level iMacs, that takes time to do.
    Waiting allows them to launch both the standard and professional tiers, and launch them with the new keyboard (supposedly), and they can gauge the response to MBP I/O.

The Kaby Lake CPUs were only released in January, while the Polaris GPUs were released late last year.

Hopefully we see the new iMacs before the second half of the year but I'm doubtful right now. Then again, Apple have already let customers know that they have new models coming this year (if that wasn't already apparent).