Apple screwed me: The outcome

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FarNorth, Nov 2, 2017.

1. FarNorth macrumors regular

Short version: I placed an order that went through at 10/27, reservation came through at 12:11 am Pacific. That reservation never turned into an order despite the fact that my account was in order, $0 balance and I had just pre-ordered and taken delivery on an iPhone 8 for a different line 6 weeks ago. That reservation disappeared so, in a panic, I placed a second order late at 11:15 pm on 10/27. That phone showed a delivery date of Dec 11-18. Then, for some mysterious reason, my original reservation came back alive, the one that theoretically had an 11/3 delivery. I was on the phone repeatedly Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, finally got a senior CS to call me back Tuesday evening. He said he was working on it.

Tuesday night, my second order disappeared, the reservation stayed alive and is still alive. No confirmation email.

5 minute ago, I got another call from the Apple CS. He said my second order had been changed and for me to log in. Sure enough, there it is: Delivers 29 Nov, 2017 - 06 Dec, 2017 by 2-3 Business Days.

That, apparently is the best they can do. The phone I ordered in good faith as a solid Apple customer will be delivered about a month late but that's great news because at least I am not having to wait until Christmas Eve.

This is all they can or will do for me. Take it or leave it. I was not offered any additional incentives although, in fairness, I didn't ask for any.

In two words, this sucks. This is shabby and sloppy and my guess is that I was given no additional consideration for my trouble. My phone will be delivered right along with every other customer who is switching from LG or Samsung and ordered two days after the big rush.

I'm not going to dump all my Apple products today but the next time I look for a tablet, maybe I'll consider a Surface. I have an employee whose 6 needs to be replaced at Christmas, maybe she should see how she likes a Google Pixel. I have some old iPhones that get activated for volunteers, maybe I can dig up some cheap Android phones. Hell, I have a perfectly good 7, maybe I'll keep it and cancel my X.

I won't forget this.

2. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

This sounds pretty ridiculous. Good luck bro. I was going to make some witty Android comments or whatever but I don’t need to.

4. serialiphoneuser macrumors regular

Do you really need the iPhone X? I would suggest waiting for iPhone X 2018, if you can.

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I love these threads. I get the frustration but what people don't seem to understand is the sheer volume of activity happening on Apple's servers come preorder day. There's bound to be some hiccups and not everybody is going to come out ahead. I can't think of anything short of an Apple employee calling you up to tell you they cancelled your preorder just to mess with you warranting a response like this.

I find it hard to believe that you're not aware, but you're one (or several in OPs case) of millions of customers and you choosing an Android phone over an iPhone means pretty much nothing to them.

6. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

What do you mean by "reservation came through at 12:11" and "reservation never turned into an order"? These two statements don't make sense.

7. geekiemac macrumors 6502

geekiemac

Meh. I had a login issue on 10/27 which delayed my order by around 15 minutes. Too bad, I landed on the 29 Nov - 05 Dec delivery group. Do I complain? Nah. This is life. Animoji Poop happens.

8. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad Pro and a Surface for work. The Surface is a giant POS IMO... it is a glorified PC with a touch-screen attached... not a true "mobile" experience.

9. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Why didn't you just add this update to your other thread

10. Jinkst macrumors 6502

11. ssrij Suspended

Big deal, be happy you're getting it by 1st week of December or earlier. It could've been lot worse and you could've got your phone in January or beyond.

Everyone had problems because there millions trying to place a pre order, it's expected. Apple did the best they can and you should be happy with it.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Welcome to retail issues resolution. Apple doesn’t keep a stock of phone aside for issues that happen. If something goes awry and it’s their fault you’re stuck with a later date which can’t be changed. It’s a logistics nightmare already to provide this many devices to a ton of people all at once.

Should they have offered some sort of compensation (10% off or something like that)? It would help their image but they really don’t need to as they never promised you a phone at launch.

It sounds like you’re a small business owner. If I so, just realize that a corporation of this size is a VASTLY different business. They are not in any way, shape, or form run the same and you can’t expect them to be.

By the way, if you’re ever going to order appliances from a big box store this is exactly the same problem you may run into. There is jack all that can be done about ship dates. They manufacture them as fast as possible as well. Anything happens and your order is pushed back.

13. cj31016 macrumors member

Not disputing that this sucks to have to wait another month, but damn...it's just a phone. It could be way worse. Hey at least you woke up this morning. Try to put things into perspective a bit. Also, you could wait in line tomorrow. All hope isn't lost. Good luck
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2017 ---
    When did Microsoft claim the Surface to have a true mobile experience? All their marketing is pushing the tablet that can replace your laptop. In fact, I don't even believe they refer to the Surface as a tablet any longer. For productivity, I'll take the Surface all day long. Love the iPad Pro too. Sounds like you have the best of both worlds.

14. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Good for you for not forgetting about this. Let it fester and consume you. Reach far and wide and disrupt all future Apple business that you can--stick it to em buddy!

But let me see if I have this straight? You had an early reservation that for whatever reason didn't "take". You placed a follow on order that resulted in an expected Mid-December delivery. You eventually got an anticipated delivery moved up by at 2 weeks.

And you're angry?

15. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

I’m getting a iPhone X Silver 256 GB on 11/3 but returning it. I’ll be sure to use it for a week or so before the return period though :)

16. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Oridus

That was the “short version”?

17. Razeus macrumors 603

The one thing I can't stand from Apple customers is their sense of entitlement. You're not special dude. Things happen. Deal with it. The system went well for the MILLIONS of people that did what you did.

18. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

My order was screwed up too. Originally I was set for next week. But there was an issue and I needed to "get out of line and go to the back". Had to re-order the following day and now I'm set for mid-December. It really sucks, but I'm not going to let it spoil my day. It is just a phone after all.

Hopefully they ship these quicker than expected. The earliest my phone will arrive is 3 days after I'm going to a concert. Since I'm coming from a 6 Plus, I'm quite sure it will take considerably better pictures in that environment. Plus the optical zoom! If I don't have it by then, life will still go on. But it sure would be nice!

19. Daniel L macrumors 6502

This is the attitude to have. Better for your health in the long run too.

20. FarNorth thread starter macrumors regular

21. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Sad - after these many years Apple and company still cannot get this process right. Maybe they should get Amazon to run it for them.

22. FarNorth thread starter macrumors regular

I've been self-employed for almost 40 years. I used ot chew my employees out when I'd hear, 'Sorry but we're really busy...' My response: 'We're supposed to be busy and we're supposed to be prepared for it.' When something went wrong, I made it right. Even today, I carry my phone in my pocket and take care of customer issues at night, on the weekends, whenever something goes wrong. I never say, 'I'm sorry but it was Christmas and we didn't get to it. Take what we give you.' That's not good enough.

23. DaveOP macrumors 65816

Bahahahha. You're kidding right? Amazon does a terrible job with preordered products, ask anyone looking for an 8700k a month or so ago.

24. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

Well if you do decide to go to Android, Apple and the rest of us will continue on just fine.

[​IMG]