Apple screwed me: The outcome

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
As An old Apple fan, Apple could care less, you have been replaced by the savy emoji generation , 20 of them will take your place and never hassle Apple CS expecting x outcome. I'm not paying you out, just saying how it is now.

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
This is not some super limited edition device, there are literally millions being produced. I seriously doubt Apple would need a month to fulfill your order. They just give the worst possible date, and ship it even sooner than that so there is the illusion that they are "taking care" of you.

I do not know how far you are from an Apple store, but in a few days from now I would start checking the Apple Store app on your current phone to see if an X is available for pickup nearby. The 8 was available for pickup in Grand Central, NYC 3 days after release.
There's one Apple Store in Alaska but it is a pain in the neck to get to; it's in a shopping mall in downtown Anchorage and the only parking is in a connected garage. If I stood up right now and went there, it would be at least a 2 hour excursion with nothing accomplished. I'm not going to go stand in line for a phone. I'll be in Seattle this weekend but I am certainly not going to go to an Apple Store down there. I may go down to the Anchorage store and check next week. I haven't been back there since I bought a new Apple TV. I hated that thing, gave it away. The machine itself worked fine but the remote with the tiny touchscreen was a disaster. That was and is the only Apple product I've ever owned that I disliked although I am not a fan of Macs. I have PC desktops, most are HP and Lenovo laptops, 2 X-1 Carbons.

It would not surprise me to see my ship date move forward once the dust settles.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I've been self-employed for almost 40 years. I used ot chew my employees out when I'd hear, 'Sorry but we're really busy...' My response: 'We're supposed to be busy and we're supposed to be prepared for it.' When something went wrong, I made it right. Even today, I carry my phone in my pocket and take care of customer issues at night, on the weekends, whenever something goes wrong. I never say, 'I'm sorry but it was Christmas and we didn't get to it. Take what we give you.' That's not good enough.
For a small business owner you’re right. But Apple isn’t a small business and the system is so automated that what you are asking flat out isn’t possible most of the time. Getting it moved up two weeks is probably literally the earliest they could get it moved up to. I think that’s pretty darn good after millions of orders had already been placed in a few minutes.

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
As An old Apple fan, Apple could care less, you have been replaced by the savy emoji generation , 20 of them will take your place and never hassle Apple CS expecting x outcome. I'm not paying you out, just saying how it is now.
Some truth to that. Every day I am astounded by the number of people who no longer have a laptop or a desktop, all they have is a phone. Me, I travel with 2 phones, an iPad and a laptop. I used to have a portable printer the size of a carton of cigarettes and a portable scanner but I no longer need those.

Reactions: MH01

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Emailing Tim Cook because you have to wait 30 days for your phone is just plain childish and inconsiderate. “I want what I want when I want it” is the mantra of a 5 year old.

The amount of time you have caused Apple to spend on you has potentially impacted their ability to help another customer with an actual problem. Again, childish and inconsiderate.

Have you ever stopped to consider that people to whom this kind of stuff doesn’t happen to are not childish and inconsiderate? Karma is a b*tch.

noteple

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2011
The foulup every year always seems to be in the interface between Apple and the carrier.
SO maybe it wasn't just Apple but a Group Effort.
I would have bought a Sim free outright but failing that used IUP pre-authorization
All the hand shaking was done two days in advanced but even with that some got clobbered in the citizen loa(n/d) backend process.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
There's one Apple Store in Alaska but it is a pain in the neck to get to; it's in a shopping mall in downtown Anchorage and the only parking is in a connected garage. If I stood up right now and went there, it would be at least a 2 hour excursion with nothing accomplished. I'm not going to go stand in line for a phone. I'll be in Seattle this weekend but I am certainly not going to go to an Apple Store down there. I may go down to the Anchorage store and check next week. I haven't been back there since I bought a new Apple TV. I hated that thing, gave it away. The machine itself worked fine but the remote with the tiny touchscreen was a disaster. That was and is the only Apple product I've ever owned that I disliked although I am not a fan of Macs. I have PC desktops, most are HP and Lenovo laptops, 2 X-1 Carbons.

It would not surprise me to see my ship date move forward once the dust settles.
Yikes, Alaska! I had no idea... no offense, but that's gotta be tough.

So yeah, just wait it out I am telling you I think you will get it sooner than you think. Apple always does this. You can also place an order with your carrier, they have quicker ship dates. I ordered at 4:30 EST on the 27th from Tmo directly, and will still have a phone tomorrow while Apple was already showing 4-5 weeks on their direct site.

Best of luck... don't let it get to you... it's just a phone after all.

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
You must be a real gem of a boss. You chew out your employees?
I treat my employees fine and I have been successful because of it. Would you prefer if I said, 'I counseled them in a better practice.' I have about 30 employees right now, had almost 50 in another business. How many employees do you have?

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
Still showing right now:

We are holding your reservation.

Your reservation number is XXXXXXXX
When we’re able to reach the carrier systems we will email you at XXXXXXXX.
The email will include instructions to complete your order as well as the return link.
You will have 24 hours from the time the email is sent to return to the Apple Online store to proceed with your order. If you do not complete your purchase within 24 hours, your reservation will be canceled.
You may check the status of your reservation at anytime by returning to this page.

Apple
[doublepost=1509657306][/doublepost]

I sent an email to Tim Cook yesterday. No response.
What happened when you completed your order?

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I used to chew my employees out when I'd hear, 'Sorry but we're really busy...' My response: 'We're supposed to be busy and we're supposed to be prepared for it.
Well said!

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Yikes, Alaska! I had no idea... no offense, but that's gotta be tough.
Actually, it is not. The AT&T folks here are terrific. When the 8 arrived for one of my employees, I told her she could transfer everything wirelessly through iCloud. She had about 30GB of videos and it hiccup'd during the transfer so she took it over to AT&T where one of the techs did it via a hard wired transfer and stayed late to get it done. I've had great service from them and never had one complaint with the service I've had at the Apple Store, either although I don't visit very often. I have had good service at other Apple Stores, had a malfunctioning iPad replaced at the main store in Honolulu on Christmas Day, for example. Yes, they were open on Christmas.
[doublepost=1509661598][/doublepost]
What happened when you completed your order?
Never completed. I'm still waiting for the corresponding email after 'they reach the carriers.'
[doublepost=1509661701][/doublepost]
The foulup every year always seems to be in the interface between Apple and the carrier.
SO maybe it wasn't just Apple but a Group Effort.
I would have bought a Sim free outright
How do you do that? The pre-order system I saw had you select a carrier first.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 603
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI

Oh wow. I actually felt the same way about the remote but you know what I did instead of throwing away $150? Put that remote in a drawer and used one of my old ones.

Actually, it is not. The AT&T folks here are terrific. When the 8 arrived for one of my employees, I told her she could transfer everything wirelessly through iCloud. She had about 30GB of videos and it hiccup'd during the transfer so she took it over to AT&T where one of the techs did it via a hard wired transfer and stayed late to get it done.
The reps in the store are generally pretty good. It's when you have to call their customer service line that that façade disintegrates and you realize what a clusterf*** of a company they are. I ditched them earlier this year after 13 years of having their service and I'll never give them another cent.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Let me get this straight:

You'll spend hours on the phone trying to get what you want NOW, but you won't spend hours in a line getting what you want NOW?

:confused:

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
And for the coup de grace: The updated 3 to 4 week shipping estimate applies to all carriers, colors, and capacities, and it means that orders placed today will arrive right around the beginning of December rather than later in the month.

In turn, this means that Apple did exactly zero for me. After a week of getting the runaround, my phone will be delivered the same day as people that order right now.
Let me get this straight:

You'll spend hours on the phone trying to get what you want NOW, but you won't spend hours in a line getting what you want NOW?

:confused:
I went to AT&T, Target, GCI (alaska company now owned by Liberty Interactive), Best Buy and Walmart this morning. None of them had received any stock. AT&T mgr told me they got no phones and the Apple Store got 16 phones, line started last night and many left disappointed. The AT&T mgr gave me his card, may have stock on Monday. I ordered a phone from GCI, CS said it will be in next Friday. Target Mobile rep says they don't expect stock in their store until Black Friday. I did see a demo unit at AT&T, looks nice but maybe a shade less impressive than I expected.
[doublepost=1509736258][/doublepost]
Oh wow. I actually felt the same way about the remote but you know what I did instead of throwing away $150? Put that remote in a drawer and used one of my old ones.
I have a Roku Ultra and an Amazon Fire HD and both work just fine. Supposedly, the Apple TV has an edge in gaming but that's not for me. I usually use the Roku but the Amazon is every bit as good.

Last edited:

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
I couldn’t log in and buy until 0809 (UK), Nov 13-20 for me. Heyho.

Tried John Lewis (quality, reputable UK store) today at 0800, got to payment process screen, app crashed, no order, too late.

“Bought” one from Argos (naff UK store), told me it arrives tomorrow, they took payment. Hours later, sorry, we have no stock till at least Nov 10th. I immediately cancel, will be refunded within 10 days, not an issue for me personally, but lousy, avoidable poor treatment that could scupper someone for 10 days who isn’t financially able.

Point is, s£!# happens, sometimes you’re simply unlucky.

Only my Argos encounter described above is outright bad cs and avoidable. The rest is annoying, but understandable, when it’s absolutely the hottest ticket item of the year globally. Millions and millions of people got there’s and are happy. A few are delayed, but it's a PHONE, blimey.

Perspective needed.

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Oh wow. I actually felt the same way about the remote but you know what I did instead of throwing away $150?
I gave the Apple TV to a friend of mine who had a first gen. He was happy and I kept using my Roku. The only differences I can see are in the interface. I also use my Amazon Fire once in a while because for a while, I would get audio sync issues when playing Amazon exclusive content on the Roku; that went away when streaming over the Amazon.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Ironically, Apple reached out to me with an email after I placed my order and it went something like this:

"We see that you tried to sign up for the payment program but had trouble. Send us your order number"

So I did....

And my delivery date moved from first week of Dec to 17 Nov-24 Nov!

So while sometimes they drop the ball, as long as they make up for it when it comes to me, I don't care! :p:p

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
It's frustrating when you can't get what you want when you want it.
My original reservation still shows as valid:

We are holding your reservation.

Your reservation number is: B5031D1XXXXX
When we’re able to reach the carrier systems we will email you at XXXXXXXXXXX
The email will include instructions to complete your order as well as the return link.
You will have 24 hours from the time the email is sent to return to the Apple Online store to proceed with your order. If you do not complete your purchase within 24 hours, your reservation will be canceled.
You may check the status of your reservation at anytime by returning to this page.
[doublepost=1509740859][/doublepost]
Ironically, Apple reached out to me with an email after I placed my order and it went something like this:

"We see that you tried to sign up for the payment program but had trouble. Send us your order number"

So I did....

And my delivery date moved from first week of Dec to 17 Nov-24 Nov!

So while sometimes they drop the ball, as long as they make up for it when it comes to me, I don't care! :p:p
Not me:

Order In Progress
Delivers 29 Nov, 2017 - 06 Dec, 2017 by 2-3 Business Days

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011

Order In Progress
Delivers 29 Nov, 2017 - 06 Dec, 2017 by 2-3 Business Days
Man, that blows. I was just kidding around with my last sentence :)

...The kicker is that I ended up walking into my local VZW over an hour after they opened today and they still had plenty of them.

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
I'm going to stay in contact with the AT&T store. I would bet they will have a phone for me within a week.

The mgr told me they got no stock for launch day and they never get any advance warning. Boxes show up from Apple unnanounced.