Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of iOS 11 to Developers, Removes iCloud Messages for Now

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 7, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of iOS 11 to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after releasing the fourth beta and two months after introducing the new update at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

Registered developers can download the fifth iOS 11 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air once the proper configuration profile has been installed.

[​IMG]

According to Apple's release notes, in the fifth beta, iCloud Messages has been removed. Apple plans to reintroduce it in a future update to iOS 11. Today's beta fixes AirPlay, and tapping the AirPlay button in videos that are not full screen will no longer crash some apps. There's also a fix for a Calendar bug that could cause crashes when dragging items into the Calendar app, and FaceTime Live Photos is now an option that's enabled by default.

Favorites that were added to the Health app in iOS 11 beta 4 or earlier are no longer available, with Apple having restored Favorites that were selected prior to iOS 11.

iOS 11 introduces significant design changes, including a customizable Control Center and a new Lock screen that's been merged with the Notification Center. Peer-to-peer Apple Pay payments are coming in the Messages app, which is also gaining a new App Drawer, and there's a Do Not Disturb While Driving feature that's meant to help drivers stay focused on the road. Siri, Photos, the Camera app, and more are also gaining new features and refinements.

ARKit for developers will bring a range of new augmented reality apps and games to iOS devices, while a Core ML SDK has the potential to let developers build smarter apps. iOS 11 is also the biggest update ever for the iPad, with a new Dock that introduces much improved multitasking, a Files app for better managing files, improved Apple Pencil support, a revamped App Switcher, and a system-wide drag and drop feature.

iOS 11 is available for both registered developers and public beta testers and will see another month of testing ahead of a prospective September release date alongside new iPhones.

For complete details on all of the new features included in iOS 11, make sure to check out our extensive iOS 11 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of iOS 11 to Developers, Removes iCloud Messages for Now

2. 576316 macrumors 601

Yay! Now release PB same day. COME ON APPLE. You can do this!

3. fullfast macrumors regular

Was just going to down rev back to 10 as camera app having issues....give it a go and see what happens

4. archvile macrumors 6502

archvile

Has anyone been running iOS 11 on an SE? Curious how it runs. I have it on my iPP and have been tempted to do my phone as well, but I was waiting for some of the bugs to be ironed out.

I do have a Watch if it makes any difference, I think I read the first few beta had Watch connectivity issues. But i wouldn't want to put the Beta on my watch.

5. berrymetal macrumors regular

berrymetal

I really really really think that you should know that I'm downloading it.

6. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

When you're so early that you get it on OTA before its even published on the Dev Center... Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 1.01.25 PM.png

EDIT: They're up

7. kissmo macrumors 6502a

Yeah... I wish the same but you know it ain't gonna happen.

I am curious though what is the actual difference between the PB and DP.

8. Smith288 macrumors 65816

Smith288

Waiting for the task screen to stop jumping around when I first bring it up.

9. sorgo macrumors regular

sorgo

I’ve been running it on my SE since the initial developer beta and I’m happy to report that developer beta 4/public beta 3 has been more than stable for my purposes

10. fullfast macrumors regular

Preparing update...oh I am so excited...lol...

11. 576316 macrumors 601

It's likely to happen. As we get closer to release, they two betas get closer together. First a day, then the same day, then the same time.

12. fullfast macrumors regular

Wonder if they have fixed the DONE button when you have taken a screenshot on the 7p

13. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

There is no difference. Same builds just staggered release.

14. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

I have been running PB3 on my daily iPhone SE, nothing major, but the battery lasts less than with iOS 10.3, so I usually keep it in low battery mode when out.

15. lucasrant macrumors regular

It's on the 7 as well, and god, that bug is killing me.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

the first two betas were pretty terrible, laggy and battery killers. It has improved drastically :)

17. kissmo macrumors 6502a

May your mouth/fingers be golden :)

18. Liebo macrumors regular

Liebo

What’s build number?
    Is Safari snappier?
    What’s battery life?
    Where’s the public beta?
    Have they changed photos app icon?
    Is Dark Mode there yet?
    Why won’t my 32-bit apps work?
    Got a link to release notes?

Asking the pertinent questions so you don’t have to.

19. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

The current PB has been running really well on my iPPv2, this PB (tomorrow?) might be the one I put on my phone.

20. newtestleper macrumors 6502

Several crashes on mine after the previous beta. Battery back to being excellent.

21. icsedge1 macrumors member

icsedge1

22. newtestleper macrumors 6502

The Safari one is used as a joke by people now, so its prevalence can be mostly taken with a grain of salt (or, not wanting to seem racist, pepper).

23. Kramerjn macrumors member

Kramerjn

I sure hope so!

24. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Because, yes, yes, no, yes, no, incoming, no. (Answers not necessarily in that order)

25. Lounge vibes 05 macrumors member

Hope they fixed the bug where I would open messages, but all my conversations were blank, with no contact name or anything. Then the app would crash.