Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.5 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming macOS Sierra 10.12.5 update to developers, one week after seeding the fourth beta and more than one month after releasing macOS Sierra 10.12.4, which introduced Night Shift for the Mac.

The fifth beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.5 can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center or through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

According to the release notes accompanying the beta, the update "improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac."

Apple's release notes don't often provide much insight into what's included in new beta software, so we don't know what features or bug fixes might be built into the 10.12.5 update.

No notable changes or major bug fixes were discovered in the first four betas, but should anything pop up in the fifth macOS Sierra 10.12.5 beta, we'll update this post.

Update: The fifth beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.5 is also available for public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.5 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Reactions: celaurie

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I get the horrible feeling we're ramping up for a totally new macOS jump with these stability releases. It's the B team cleaning up making Sierra tight like a drum for it to all go tits up with the next big release. I really wish we got another 2 years of Sierra and stability updates but I feel like this will be one of the last.

Comment

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
I get the horrible feeling we're ramping up for a totally new macOS jump with these stability releases. It's the B team cleaning up making Sierra tight like a drum for it to all go tits up with the next big release. I really wish we got another 2 years of Sierra and stability updates but I feel like this will be one of the last.

Young minds... fresh ideas! :p

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
So it's like apple is delivering Mac OS X as "a service", similar to Windows 10?

Reactions: WatchFromAfar
Comment

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Sounds like it's time to upgrade.

Nope, haven't even thought about it!

This machine was bought as a new 'maxed out' top-end monster.

(It was coincidentally rebuilt from the keel up under AppleCare about a year ago giving me a new screen, motherboard and SSHD following some strange power cut outs.)

It handles everything I throw at it and has no OS drag... Yet.

Look after the Mac and it will look after you!

In life, I've found that you don't always need the shiniest and newest of everything all the time...

Comment

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Due to the nature of undocumented bug fixes, I presume there were either no bugs fixed or no fixes to be bugged about ?

Reactions: orbital~debris
Comment

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Due to the nature of undocumented bug fixes, I presume there were either no bugs fixed or no fixes to be bugged about ?
There wouldn't be any Beta seeded if there were no bugs to be fixed.
I'm gonna say majority of people haven't touch more than 50 percent of the features since ML.
Nobody really uses 'all' of the features on their computers either due to Incompatibility, Third Party options, or just no interest/purpose.

Comment

xflashx

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2016
But what would the customers think? Almost no new Mac hardware. If they wouldn't release a new OS every year, one might think that they abandoned the Mac completely. But I get your point. I really hate Windows 10, but I like the idea that you get new features more frequently, without having to wait a year until the next OS arrives. In terms of stability I believe Apple should follow that idea.

Comment

TheDreaded26

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2016
Works just fine too, right?[/QUOTE]

Same here - works great upgraded to an SSD 3-4 years ago.

It works relatively well depending on my workload. Still lots of beach balls though. I have thought about upgrading the ram and getting an ssd, but I really want the retina screen and improved graphics performance of a newer model.

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

That's been the case since they've switch to annual releases (since Lion). However, what you are asking for is already possible, just don't update to the first release right away. There's no reason to update to 10.13.0 in the Fall, wait until 10.13.5 in the following Spring or if possible, you can just wait until 10.14.5 if there's nothing in 10.13.x you want. That'd give you the 2+ year worth of development plus stability optimizations.

Everyone keeps bringing up Snow Leopard as the best release ever but it wasn't the case for the original build, it took a few updates and it required Leopard to be released in the first place anyway. What Apple did instead was split the 2+3 year worth of development into quicker but smaller updates.

Reactions: Ener Ji
Comment

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
Though irrelevant because I'm not supposed to run Sierra on it because of WiFi support, my 2008 maxed out MBP has been worth the $3G spent. Only SATA I with an SSD is unfortunate, but it's fast enough for basic audio production. FIN
Only just swapped my 2008 (Also upgraded with an SSD) to a mid 2015 Retina. The 2008 was wonderful, but definitely beginning to feel slow, plus finally not able to update to Sierra & beyond, so was time to upgrade while it had some value. The 2015 is really nice - no interest in the 2016 Touch Bar, whether features or price

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.