Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
Nope, haven't even thought about it!

This machine was bought as a new 'maxed out' top-end monster.

(It was coincidentally rebuilt from the keel up under AppleCare about a year ago giving me a new screen, motherboard and SSHD following some strange power cut outs.)

It handles everything I throw at it and has no OS drag... Yet.

Look after the Mac and it will look after you!

In life, I've found that you don't always need the shiniest and newest of everything all the time...

Spot on. An enormously sensible and adult attitude. And quite rare in the fan-boy Appleverse.

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Spot on. An enormously sensible and adult attitude. And quite rare in the fan-boy Appleverse.

Hey, hey - come on! Sensible? Adult!? When did that happen!? :confused:

You can be 'fanboy' without buying the newest, latest and greatest.

I've been with Apple since '92 and it's not always been easy to keep up with the curve or particularly affordable here in the UK - so it's best to think out every purchase and find out exactly what you need and for what!

My current personal line up includes an iPhone 7, iPad Pro and said Mid-2014 Retina MacBook Pro plus two Apple TVs (2G and 4G). More than adequate for my needs.

Updates will only occur when the current gear is no longer fit for purpose or becomes beyond repair. Sustainably and sensibly is the way to upgrade. You never know what's around the next corner in life!

~C

Sensible, pah!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Okay, I'm going to bite. What are you specifically concerns you about the current release of iTunes? o_O
Current version of iTunes can't edit multiple items in bulk, such as multiple albums or songs from multiple genres.

Pruus

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
Can anyone confirm whether Time Machine is working again with Apple Time Capsule to store the backups? Since Sierra was released it's been broken on network backups using Time Capsule, with an error being thrown every couple of days that the backup is corrupt and needs to start from fresh backup. However the current backup can still be mounted in Finder without problem. You cannot make any further Time Machine backups though until you agree to wipe the existing backup and start again.
I do not experience trouble with the latest 3 bèta's and TM. It works on an iMac and a MBP. I have PHOTO synchronisation problems with iCloud. It comes and goes...

Last edited:
Reactions: celaurie

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Current version of iTunes can't edit multiple items in bulk, such as multiple albums or songs from multiple genres.

Okay, I'm not seeing this. I've selected multiple albums and songs across genres and have been able to make changes using <Command>+<I> or Edit>Get Info.

Am I missing something here?

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 13.18.05.png Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 13.18.16.png

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Your missing part is: in iTunes 12.6, no matter which item you change, it will not be saved. When you Reopen, old item is still there.

Not the case for me. I have changes details in individual songs and groups of songs and all have remained after restarting iTunes...

jehowe

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Can't comment on any specific fixes/enhancements, but the last two public betas (4 and now 5) have smoothed out the account switching issues I have experienced since the original Sierra release on a 16GB 13" TBP. I typically have two user accounts going (personal & work) which is horrendous on resources and battery life - especially with Chrome as my browser of choice.

The previous beta (too soon to tell with this 5th beta) also seems to have improved battery life and occasional hiccups or slowness with heavy use. It might be a combination of Chrome updates & OS tuning with the betas, I don't know. It is nice to wake up a sleeping machine in the morning and see a 3~5% drop in battery life as opposed to the 12~18% I was seeing.

Reactions: celaurie

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Any news about fixes to PDFKit bugs?

At this rate its likely bugs will we fixed in 10.13 if we are lucky... :(

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Not the case for me. I have changes details in individual songs and groups of songs and all have remained after restarting iTunes...
You could try this: change genre of a whole bunch of albums to something else, or change disc number to 1.
What I encounter is: if I want to change, like, three albums genre to "vocal", I select all three albums. Then, I type "vocal" in genre, click OK. Then, nothing happen. When I check the info of those three albums, the genre is still not vocal, but something else.

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
You could try this: change genre of a whole bunch of albums to something else, or change disc number to 1.
What I encounter is: if I want to change, like, three albums genre to "vocal", I select all three albums. Then, I type "vocal" in genre, click OK. Then, nothing happen. When I check the info of those three albums, the genre is still not vocal, but something else.

This all works for me. Have you checked the permissions on your iTunes folder? Do you actually own the albums you are attempting to change or are they downloaded from a subscription service like Apple Music - just a thought.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
This all works for me. Have you checked the permissions on your iTunes folder? Do you actually own the albums you are attempting to change or are they downloaded from a subscription service like Apple Music - just a thought.
Those albums are all downloaded or ripped elsewhere, and I have full permission to every single file that is involved.
My issue is solved when I manage to revert iTunes back to iTunes 12.5.4 and disable any software update. I can use iTunes 12.5.4 to update metadata as I wish. No same issue found in iTunes 12.6.

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Those albums are all downloaded or ripped elsewhere, and I have full permission to every single file that is involved.
My issue is solved when I manage to revert iTunes back to iTunes 12.5.4 and disable any software update. I can use iTunes 12.5.4 to update metadata as I wish. No same issue found in iTunes 12.6.

Odd, I can't seem to replicate it at all.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Have you tried submitting a bug report to Apple or have you been in touch with Apple Support?

Last edited:

iamtheonlyone4ever

Suspended
May 27, 2016
One thing that prevents many Hackintosh users from trying out the beta builds is: nVidia video card "web drivers" refuse to function on beta builds. The system always reverts to the official Apple-supplied nVidia driver, with reduced resolution.
If the Windows 10 video card drivers can function correctly for numerous beta builds, why not also for macOS beta builds?
that is not entirely accurate, you can easily modify the plist file inside the NVDAStartupWeb.kext to match the system build # so the web drivers can load without having to wait for nvidia to release the new web drivers or beta drivers for that specific os version

been there done that many times, that is the first trick you have to learn when you have a Hackintosh with an Nvidia card

this is handy when you update to a new version of mac os
so you don't have to wait for Nvidia to release the new web drivers in order for you to install and use the that new updated version of os

or if you installed a beta and there are no beta web drivers available you can always do this trick in order for you to install and test that beta and have web drivers support.

it all depends if the person knows this trick or not

i have a hackintosh with a 1080 nvidia card and i can install betas without any problem and have full graphic acceleration support

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Odd, I can't seem to replicate it at all.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Have you tried submitting a bug report to Apple or have you been in touch with Apple Support?
I am not alone.
Submitted a feedback.
Don't bother contacting support.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
I am not alone.
Submitted a feedback.
Don't bother contacting support.

The biggest problem I have is automatically splitting some albums into several pieces when they have the completely same metadata.

I see then one album four times, for example, each with some random tracks in it. This is really annoying. Strangely on my iPhone, everything looks fine, when I sync normally and with iCloud Music Library on (Match).

I don't know since when this happens, but it's not new. About a year maybe.

:(

bcubed9

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2011
P-Town, USA
Either your math or your memory is terrible:

10.4 released April 2005
10.5 released oct 2007 (30 months later)
10.6 released Aug 2009 (22 months after 10.5)
10.7 released july 2011 (23 months after 10.6)
It wasnt until 10.8, released july 2012 that Apple started releasing mac os updates on a yearly basis - around the same time a lot of people feel that apple's quality control and software stability took a dip.
IMO, their insistance on rushed annual releases of new OS's has contributed to that decline.
It is a proven fact that any good project worth doing takes 18 months on the inside with in-house testing for the next 9 months time, it is fine wine not Windows 98.

Reactions: robeddie

TheTissot11

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2013
Germany
I'm really surprised at the incompetence level of Apple engineers these days. They can't fix old long standing bugs for years and with each update they seem to break one or another functionality. Something will disappear from one update and the it appears again. It's so annoying and this joker Craig Federighi is only busy talking big...

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The biggest problem I have is automatically splitting some albums into several pieces when they have the completely same metadata.

I see then one album four times, for example, each with some random tracks in it. This is really annoying. Strangely on my iPhone, everything looks fine, when I sync normally and with iCloud Music Library on (Match).

I don't know since when this happens, but it's not new. About a year maybe.

:(
iCloud music library is just a flawed product, period. Never bother handing over my music library that way.

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
Either your math or your memory is terrible:

10.4 released April 2005
10.5 released oct 2007 (30 months later)
10.6 released Aug 2009 (22 months after 10.5)
10.7 released july 2011 (23 months after 10.6)
It wasnt until 10.8, released july 2012 that Apple started releasing mac os updates on a yearly basis - around the same time a lot of people feel that apple's quality control and software stability took a dip.
IMO, their insistance on rushed annual releases of new OS's has contributed to that decline.

Well, the original point was Apple is following Microsoft's lead in yearly updates and it's the reverse.

Apple started in 2012 vs 2016 with Windows 10... Who's following who's lead?

Additionally to your point: So let's see Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 (5 releases) vs MacOS 10.4-10.12 (9 releases) since 2005. 5<9 how's that for math?

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Well, the original point was Apple is following Microsoft's lead in yearly updates and it's the reverse.

Apple started in 2012 vs 2016 with Windows 10... Who's following who's lead?

Additionally to your point: So let's see Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 (5 releases) vs MacOS 10.4-10.12 (9 releases) since 2005. 5<9 how's that for math?

You make it sound like yearly os updates is a good thing. I completely disagree. Refining and perfecting the stability of whatever the CURRENT os is ... is a LOT more important to many people that a couple new features that a new os may bring. Besides, there's no rule that they have to release a new os to introduce new features anyway - look at night shift, introducted in 10.12.4.

No matter what kind of software we're talking about, forcing a schedule of yearly os updates, come hell or high water (which is what Apple execs now seem to think they need to do) is not going to be a friend to stability. It's common sense.

They should release a new os when it's truly ready ... not when a marketing hack says 'it's time'.

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I do not experience trouble with the latest 3 bèta's and TM. It works on an iMac and a MBP. I have PHOTO synchronisation problems with iCloud. It comes and goes...
Been working for me lately. Not sure if it was a sierra update or an update on the two NAS I use for time machine, but the problem stopped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.