Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Seeds Fifth Public Beta of watchOS 7 to Public Beta Testers

Yammabot

macrumors member
May 15, 2017
Northern NJ
I have an Apple Watch 2 and I’m hoping they get the fitness tracker to work correctly. I cleaned up after the storm for 4 hours and got 2 minutes toward my exercise goal. :( As for the sleep tracking everyone is clamoring about Fitbit had done a great job with it years ago Apple should have it down to a science by now, how about the blood glucose monitoring?

ANDJOE

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Been on this PB5 for half a day now I think long battery life is back!! I know that’s a small sample size, but my S5 has been dying at 8pm and now is still going at 11pm with 20% after a software update with all its reindexing etc.

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
I have been using WatchOS7 since the first Public Beta on my Apple Watch Series 5. The last three releases have been flawless in my opinion, and I have had zero issues. Same thing with iOS 14 Public Beta on my iPhone 11.

I haven’t don’t watch beta, but flawless is not how I would describe 14. I went one beta unable to download new apps, and they still haven’t fixed the clipboard issue.

Reactions: otternonsense

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
How are you WatchOS 7 folks dealing with the deprication of Force Touch? Is it easy to adapt to the changes or does it take several extra steps to accomplish what could be done by force pressing and tapping previously?
I’m surprised at how much I don’t miss it. I had a much harder time adjusting to it on the phone than the watch.

xDKP

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Watch betas have been stable for me. Although, I’m not sure that I’d call watch OS7 a major update, it’s certainly not a bad one.

Very stable and no battery drain like the previous years..

But this is a massive disappointment and really a minor update... No design refresh, no wave of new watch faces and really only small news - The biggest news in this, is the speed of the animations - that's a nice addition.

James_C

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Public beta has been problematic for me, I get a few random restarts each day. I have a series 3. Hopefully this update will fix that. Next year I will pass on the watch beta.

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
If you collect this data your life will become much more complete. Buy our gizmo today.
They should call Watch OS 7 ‘Snake Oil’.
Given your lack of interest, I’m surprised Apple is even bothering with Watch 6 and WatchOS 7.

You could have saved Apple a lot of work if you’d told that to Tim Apple a year ago, instead of waiting until now to spring it on him.

• Haha
Reactions: jbachandouris

otternonsense

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
I haven't been overly impressed with it, and in fact have stopped sleeping with my watch on. The only useful info I got from it was to see about what time I actually fell asleep after going to bed. Way back in the day I had a Jawbone tracker, which actually did a nice job of breaking down how I slept at night - as primitive as it was.

I really can't think of a scenario where I consistently implement sleeping with my watch into my daily routine. It's not comfortable to wear during sleep, and my other issue is "when do I ever charge that damn thing".

jsamuelson

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
Switzerland
How are you WatchOS 7 folks dealing with the deprication of Force Touch? Is it easy to adapt to the changes or does it take several extra steps to accomplish what could be done by force pressing and tapping previously?

The only I thing I’ve struggled with is muscle memory to not force press and clear notifications, rather than just tap the new button. Other than that, I haven’t missed it at all.

Reactions: MacAttack2024

LeMo

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2020
I quite like the wind-down for the fake sleep mode (I've been using SleepWatch for a long time). That mode saves me putting the thing into cinema mode at night. With an AW4, I think there is no compelling reason to change to a new model though.

Is the battery info and health new? That's useful, my battery is at 89% of original capacity after 18 months of use.

nollic

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2016
Serious question to those who’ve tested: when do you charge your watch if not when sleeping?
I’ve got a S5 and charge it every night so haven’t really been giving it any thought on how long it actually takes to charge. Suppose I could charge for an hour or 2 while stationary by a desk but other than that I’d miss out on all the daily track use..

James_C

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Serious question to those who’ve tested: when do you charge your watch if not when sleeping?

I have a series 3 and I wear it while I sleep at night. I charge for around an hour before I sleep and again in the morning when I get ready for work for about an hour. When I leave it is fully charged.

Reactions: nollic

jsamuelson

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
Switzerland
I’ve got a S5 and charge it every night so haven’t really been giving it any thought on how long it actually takes to charge. Suppose I could charge for an hour or 2 while stationary by a desk but other than that I’d miss out on all the daily track use..

I have a Series 3. I charge mine in the morning while I shower, burns my teeth, have a coffee etc...30-40 minutes and its good to go. If I have used it a LOT during the day and it's under 20-30% I will also sometimes pop it on the charger while I read at night.

Reactions: nollic

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
I have a Series 3. I charge mine in the morning while I shower, burns my teeth, have a coffee etc...30-40 minutes and its good to go. If I have used it a LOT during the day and it's under 20-30% I will also sometimes pop it on the charger while I read at night.

I too drink coffee in the shower because I often burn myself. /jk /💘

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Surprisingly, I haven’t missed it at all.
The only place I'm still instinctively trying to use it is for the Clear All option on notifications which is now a button at the top of the notification list so actually fewer steps to access than force touch -> clear all.
I’m surprised at how much I don’t miss it. I had a much harder time adjusting to it on the phone than the watch.
The only I thing I’ve struggled with is muscle memory to not force press and clear notifications, rather than just tap the new button. Other than that, I haven’t missed it at all.

Thanks for the replies folks. What about things like changing watch faces on the fly? Is that still possible without going into any deeper settings menu? Also changing the calendar view?

Thanks.

almostinsane

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
I really can't think of a scenario where I consistently implement sleeping with my watch into my daily routine. It's not comfortable to wear during sleep, and my other issue is "when do I ever charge that damn thing".

Yup, I came to the same conclusion. Tried wearing my watch when I slept but had to take it off. Not to mention I had to charge it 3 times during the day so it would have enough juice to make it through the night. Then I got the low battery notification when I woke up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.