Apple Seeds First Beta of iOS 11.4.1 to Public Beta Testers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming iOS 11.4.1 update to its public beta testing group, one day after seeding the beta to developers and just a few days after releasing iOS 11.4, which introduced AirPlay 2 and Messages in Cloud.

Beta testers who are members of Apple's beta testing program will receive the iOS 11.4.1 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on an iOS device.

Those who want to join the beta testing program can sign up on Apple's beta testing website, which gives users access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas. iOS betas are not always stable and should not be installed on a primary device.

There were no notable features discovered in iOS 11.4.1 in the first developer beta, suggesting it focuses on bug fixes and other minor improvements.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of iOS 11.4.1 to Public Beta Testers

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I remember when iOS10.3.3 was almost fully cooked and there was that last and final beta that allowed it to be about as right as iOS10 was going to get before Apple moved on.
I am hoping this (final?) beta is accomplishing the same thing.

JohnApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2014
I’m experiencing 2 Maps bugs that i hope are finally addressed with this update (though I doubt it).

One of them causes my phone to swipe the Notification Center down, and over to the widgets by itself. And it’s always during the last leg of the trip.

The other bug is when Siri will randomly say “Turn right” when I’m still a mile or so away from the turn. Doesn’t say “in one mile” or even the name of the street. Just suddenly “turn right” which keeps throwing me off.

benroberts3

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
Kansas City
wonder if this fixes the messages in icloud bug I've been experiencing. messages on my ipad and iphone are not matching up and my iphone messages are still out of order

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
15G5054c 14.4.1 didn’t require a certificate reinstall for me.

Note: Author was unclear “available for beta testers after installing certificate”, may have meant “would be beta testers”...

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
There's something wrong with the world when a X.4.1 requires a public beta. Holy cow.
You're probably not aware that, with the exception of one or two emergency patches and a couple of the earliest betas for 10.X major releases, every release has had a public beta.

Public betas are good. Public betas expose the code to a significantly larger user base and therefore have the potential of uncovering more bugs.

Another nice thing about them? You don't have to load them onto your phone if you don't want.

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Complaining about bugs in beta software is rather ridiculous, in my opinion. If you don't like lots of bugs, stop installing beta software. If you want to run beta software, report any bugs found and stop complaining about Apple releasing beta software.

Reactions: JGRE

where is it

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
England
Would you prefer Apple push x.x.y updates out without testing?
To be fair, testing was better, the product was better before public beta testing.

Most public testers just like to tinker and don't really do anywhere nearly enough in-depth testing. Apple then shrugs it's shoulders and a half baked product gets released and then they wonder why everyone is moaning.
[doublepost=1527840554][/doublepost]A day in the life of a Beta Tester:

"Ooh a new beta version of iOS! - Must download and test right away."
- DOWNLOAD, 4 hours later after finally getting it installed and reading the disclaimer:
Beta software is for testing purposes, do not use in a production environment
"Ooh, ok, I'll just see if there are any new features.... Urm, No, ok - 'ERASE'"

Meanwhile back at Apple HQ:

Apple Employee 1: "Look, 16 million downloads of the new beta, and no bug reports!"
Apple Employee 2: "Wait, a bug report just came through, just minor though"
Apple Employee 1: "16 million downloads and one bug report? No need for us to do any further testing!"

RELEASE UPDATE

Reactions: honglong1976

KazuSnow

macrumors regular
May 24, 2010
Canada (Australian)
To be fair, testing was better, the product was better before public beta testing.

Most public testers just like to tinker and don't really do anywhere nearly enough in-depth testing. Apple then shrugs it's shoulders and a half baked product gets released and then they wonder why everyone is moaning.
[doublepost=1527840554][/doublepost]A day in the life of a Beta Tester:

"Ooh a new beta version of iOS! - Must download and test right away."
- DOWNLOAD, 4 hours later after finally getting it installed and reading the disclaimer:
Beta software is for testing purposes, do not use in a production environment
"Ooh, ok, I'll just see if there are any new features.... Urm, No, ok - 'ERASE'"

Meanwhile back at Apple HQ:

Apple Employee 1: "Look, 16 million downloads of the new beta, and no bug reports!"
Apple Employee 2: "Wait, a bug report just came through, just minor though"
Apple Employee 1: "16 million downloads and one bug report? No need for us to do any further testing!"

RELEASE UPDATE
To be fair, I would assume most of the reports from the public would be ignored, and they are more after the automatic system reports....

oh look apple maps crashed 16 million times....kinda thing?[/QUOTE]