Apple Seeds First Beta of macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 to Developers

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 update to developers, one day after releasing the macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 update focusing on security improvements.

The new macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 beta can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center or through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store with the proper profile installed.

[​IMG]

It's not yet clear what improvements the fourth official update to macOS High Sierra will bring, but it's likely to include bug fixes and performance improvements for issues that weren't addressed in macOS High Sierra 10.13.3. It may also include some of the features that are coming in iOS 11.3, such as support for Business Chat and unlimited ad-free access to music videos in Apple Music, which Apple says will be the new "home" for music videos.

According to Apple's release notes, macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 will begin sending warning notes when you open up a 32-bit app in preparation for phasing out 32-bit apps on the Mac. At this time, you'll see one warning letting you know that a Mac app is 32-bit, and it will popup when you open the app after installing the macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 update.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 also introduces the new smoke cloud wallpaper that was previously exclusively available on the iMac Pro.

The previous macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 update included security fixes and performance improvements, with no obvious outward-facing changes introduced.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 to Developers

2. mercybelcher macrumors member

3. elvisimprsntr macrumors 6502

To prepare for a future release of macOS in which 32-bit software will no longer run without compromise, starting in macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 a user is notified on the launch of an app that depends on 32-bit software. The alert appears only once per app.

4. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Sooo. Will I get a warning if I open Dashboard? It's 32-bit

5. petsounds macrumors 65816

I remember the days when there were reasons to be excited about macOS releases. Even the lowly tvOS got new features, but the Mac just gets maintenance mode now.

6. mithion macrumors regular

They probably will include iCloud Messages in this release to coincide with iOS 11.3 which will include the feature as well.

7. JilzVT macrumors member

Dashboard is 64-bit
    --- Post Merged, Jan 24, 2018 ---
    Although to answer your intended question. I just opened up an Apple 32-bit app (DVD Player) and got no warning, opened up a non-Apple 32-bit app (old version of Kindle) and did get a warning. So it appears it applies only to third party apps.

8. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

Hoping in better eGPU drivers for TB2 Macs and for Vega 56/64 fans

9. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Well that's weird... Activity Monitor always showed me a 32-bit label next to Dashboard. I just checked again, and it appears I have two Dashboard processes running on my iMac, one 32-bit, the other 64.

Running High Sierra
    --- Post Merged, Jan 24, 2018 ---
    That's a bit crummy.... I wonder if Apple will kill DVD Player or they'll actually update it... Blu-Ray support would be nice...

What's wrong with the fans for Vega GPUs? Do they not spin up properly?

Attached Files:

10. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

Do you have a third-party widget that's 32-bit, perhaps?

11. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

I still use the ancient version of iStat Pro, so that's probably it

Funny how it shows the full Dashboard process and not just iStat Pro though. I mean, I get that a 32-bit widget probably needs the 32-bit Dashboard to run, but even then, it's all merged into a single visual Dashboard. So it's like the two Dashboard versions are sharing a viewport with different models

12. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Still no APFS on Fusion Drives? They're having quite some difficulty with that. :/

13. macsba macrumors 6502

Well, Preview is screwed up. Displays images as scrambled.

Also noticed something new after installing like below.

Attached Files:

14. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Understandably so. Copy-on-write will **** of hard drives' speed immensely, but you'd still want it on the SSD part. That means to different revisions of the same file system on one combined container that still needs to automatically be able to move content around. And a single file clone (The APFS feature) on the Fusion Drive, would mean copy-on-write for some of the file on the SSD, but not the remaining part of it on the hard drive, and it just quickly becomes a massive mess. And you reaaaally don't want a file system to be rushed.

Yeah - that's on the latest iOS beta too when you open it up after the install.

How so? Can you show me?

15. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

Yup. Got a comparable screen on iOS. Very interesting.

16. macsba macrumors 6502

When displaying a screenshot in Preview, this is what I get.

Attached Files:

17. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Well that doesn't look bad at all..... I wonder... What format is the screenshot? Is it still PNG? And does it show properly in other apps (or QuickLook for that matter)?

I feel like Preview is an awesome app; Best PDF reader there is in terms of UI and features; but that there's always bugs and issues that prevents it from shining properly. In all releases.

18. TheTissot11 macrumors regular

I hope it fixes general macOS bugs related to Spotlight and Finder and not just security bugs...

19. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

What Spotlight and Finder bugs?

20. macsba macrumors 6502

Yes, it's the PNG format. I can open the screenshot in other apps and the image is displayed fine. It's just when I use Preview to open the screenshot, it comes out scrambled. Yes, I also use Preview as my main scanning app for the scanner. Hope this helps.

21. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

Does this add new features to diskutil regarding APFS? Merging containers?

22. jjm3 macrumors member

jjm3

I've been seeing this pop up occasionally in 10.3.3's public beta period, and I think 10.3.2's as well... Usually if I close it and do a second "space bar" style QuickLook, it works. Still annoying though.

23. Pkavicky macrumors newbie

I just want to be able to boot from a RAID 0 drive already. Let’s get that happening. That can’t be as difficult as APFS on a fusion drive, can it?

24. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Why wouldn't you be able to boot RAID-0 volumes? What's your RAID setup? Which RAID controller are you using?

25. TheTissot11 macrumors regular

Neither Spotlight returns the right file despite lots of rebuilding nor smart folders like Recents work fine. Also several commands using mdfind won't work since Yosemite. Do you actually use any of the stuff? On my iMac Finder hangs quite often. I have done lots of NVRAM and SMC resettings.