Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming tvOS 11.2 update to developers for testing purposes, more than a month after releasing tvOS 11 to the public and while tvOS 11.1, the first tvOS update, is still in testing.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the tvOS 11.2 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

appletv4k2-800x691.jpg

According to the release notes accompanying the tvOS 11.2 beta, the update fixes several bugs related to 4K support and introduces new 4K features.
tvOS 11.2 includes new features, bug fixes, and security improvements in the OS and SDK, including:
- Automatic mode switching to native frame rate and dynamic range of video content with Apple TV 4K
- Support for switching Apple TV 4K display output to SDR for apps that are GPU-bound when running in HDR
- Restoring Unwatched category in Home Sharing for Movies, TV Shows, and Home Videos
Apple has released a video for the new AVDisplayManager feature for developers. With tvOS 11.2, Apple TV 4K is able to automatically switch video display modes to match the native frame rate and dynamic range of video content, so developers will need to make sure their apps and video content are ready to support the new functionality.

Does your tvOS app play video? Learn about the new mode switching options in tvOS 11.2 using AVDisplayManager: https://t.co/P1vzpBeSIV - Josh Tidsbury (@joshtidsbury) October 30, 2017
tvOS 11 was something of a minor update, introducing features like full support for AirPods, automatic switching between light and dark mode based on local time, Home screen syncing options designed to keep multiple Apple TVs in a single household in sync, and new background modes and notification support.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of tvOS 11.2 to Developers

Reactions: dabotsonline

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
This is great news, assuming its not just an optional feature available to third party apps but ALSO that Apple chooses to use this feature in iTunes.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
HAPPY DAY! Unwatched is back!

Yeah, but I am going to wait until I read a decent review before I upgrade.

I put my ATV4 back to TVos 10.2.2 and it "works". I have zero interest in breaking it.

What do they say Once bitten twice shy.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I just wish they would put in a configurable option to automatically play the next episode in the Up Next stuff. I understand why some don’t like it but if you have kids you really want it. I’ve added it to their feedback page. Maybe I need to write a bot to keep requesting it once a day until they do it?

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
This is more like it! The switching actually works! I can keep my settings at 4K HDR 60Hz to get HDR on the screensaver and the Apple TV GUI, and it will automatically switch to 1080P SDR 60Hz when watching YouTube, switch to 4K Dolby Vision 24Hz when playing Strange Things Season 2 on Netflix etc..

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
This is more like it! The switching actually works! I can keep my settings at 4K HDR 60Hz to get HDR on the screensaver and the Apple TV GUI, and it will automatically switch to 1080P SDR 60Hz when watching YouTube, switch to 4K Dolby Vision 24Hz when playing Strange Things Season 2 on Netflix etc..

FINALLY SIGN ME UP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.