Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
This is more like it! The switching actually works! I can keep my settings at 4K HDR 60Hz to get HDR on the screensaver and the Apple TV GUI, and it will automatically switch to 1080P SDR 60Hz when watching YouTube, switch to 4K Dolby Vision 24Hz when playing Strange Things Season 2 on Netflix etc..

Very cool. Just to be clear, the frame rate switching not only does 24Hz/30Hz/60Hz etc....but also resolution? So the ATV if hooked up to a 4K TV it will auto switch to 1080p if watching something from Hulu for example? If so, that would be great as I prefer my TV upscaling engine to the ATV.

EDIT: Watched the video and seems it's only for Frame Rate and Dynamic Range.

Last edited:

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
I hope they fix one of the homesharing bugs which came with the new OS.

Has anybody else noticed that if you listen to one album and go back into another album it will say "This album has no content"?

It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying and nearly always happens if you watch a music video and then go to an audio album.

The only way to get homesharing to work again is to quit the "Computers" app on the Apple TV and restart it.
[doublepost=1509400176][/doublepost]And homesharing TV shows - the album art is all missing, not sure I like the layout either

Last edited:

Danger_Man

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2017
I hope they fix one of the homesharing bugs which came with the new OS.

Has anybody else noticed that if you listen to one album and go back into another album it will say "This album has no content"?

It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying and nearly always happens if you watch a music video and then go to an audio album.

The only way to get homesharing to work again is to quit the "Computers" app on the Apple TV and restart it.
[doublepost=1509400176][/doublepost]And homesharing TV shows - the album art is all missing, not sure I like the layout either

For the album art issue - Are you running the latest build of iTunes? Its required to get episode poster frames

For the connectivity issue please send feedback or a bug report if you have a developer account.
https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html
https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/

Also include a sysdiagnose as this will help track down the issue.

https://download.developer.apple.com/iOS/tvOS_Logs/sysdiagnose_Logging_Instructions.pdf

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
For the album art issue - Are you running the latest build of iTunes? Its required to get episode poster frames

I’m running 12.7.0.166 and I can’t see an update available. I still have an Apple TV3, and on that the TV show album art I embedded using iTunes still appears. But it all disappeared on the Apple TV4’s at the time of the software update.

It probably won’t be fixed for a long time based on the period before homesharing and airplay became very stable.

Also, once albums appear to have no content, everything else is gone too; movies, tv shows etc.

You have to restart the Apple TV app, but that is impossible for everybody in this house except me.

If I paid for a Sonos system to listen to music, I’d be very cross, but I have Apple TVs and Airport Expresses connected to each hifi, and somehow I have come to expect this.
[doublepost=1509414010][/doublepost]
For the connectivity issue please send feedback or a bug report if you have a developer account.
https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html
https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/

Also include a sysdiagnose as this will help track down the issue.

https://download.developer.apple.com/iOS/tvOS_Logs/sysdiagnose_Logging_Instructions.pdf

I’m not a developer, and I no longer bother to report things that are wrong. Especially with things like AirPlay, I understand that it’s a very small team and they only look at it once in a while. You can read on the forums about people’s frustrations and you can see how it became quite stable over the past year or so. I think as a user it has zero effect if you report anything. I doubt they are even read.

Last edited:

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
They listened!

I think Apple are listening to public criticism from the tech press and podcasters like Accidental Tech Podcast, all of a sudden, and I think it comes from the top. I’ve been critical of Tim Cook’s mercenary ways and his lack of understanding and love of the product. But I suspect he’s realised he’s pushed too far, starting with the Mac Pro and the reputational damage which reached out of the enthusiast base to the general buying public.

I’ll be willing to give him credit if it is happening. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Mac Mini.

Last edited:

Mattg1027

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2017
" Automatic mode switching to native frame rate and dynamic range of video content with Apple TV 4K " this is HUGE! This should have been included originally but better late than never.

Didn't Apple say this was originally put in place to minimize the "mode switching", which causes intermittent "drops" in the video connection to the TV? Are they going with the stance that showing content in it's native FR/DR is worth those intermittent drops now?

As someone who entered the world of 4K/HDR via a new TV on Friday, and has a ATV 4K arriving tomorrow, I can't really speak to it, but it was brought up as a "negative" for the ATV 4K in at least one review I read. Good to see it being addressed already!

Gotta say though, I've been fairly pleased with the Netflix / Amazon / Hulu apps on my TV thus far. Hoping I made the right call to get a media player at all!

Now to figure out this ARC business so I don't have to toss my 1080P AV receiver... hehe

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
" Automatic mode switching to native frame rate and dynamic range of video content with Apple TV 4K " this is HUGE! This should have been included originally but better late than never.

Agreed. Why would it not have been? Seems like a no brainer ...

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Didn't Apple say this was originally put in place to minimize the "mode switching", which causes intermittent "drops" in the video connection to the TV? Are they going with the stance that showing content in it's native FR/DR is worth those intermittent drops now?

As someone who entered the world of 4K/HDR via a new TV on Friday, and has a ATV 4K arriving tomorrow, I can't really speak to it, but it was brought up as a "negative" for the ATV 4K in at least one review I read. Good to see it being addressed already!

Gotta say though, I've been fairly pleased with the Netflix / Amazon / Hulu apps on my TV thus far. Hoping I made the right call to get a media player at all!

Now to figure out this ARC business so I don't have to toss my 1080P AV receiver... hehe

Congrats and welcome to the club! :)

I just bought an LG C7 55” OLED a few weeks ago, and after upgrading my 5.1 & receiver over the summer along with the Apple TV 4K, I have to say, it’s such an amazing experience.

And yes, IMO, the inability to auto switch to native Hz/fps is currently a drawback, as you should ideally display content at its native fps to get the best picture. Otherwise, you introduce judder. This is why most TVs come with a “dejudder” setting, usually to mixed effect, because there is no best remedy. And nothing is like watching the real deal, i.e. 48 or 60fps content.

Any 24fps content (which is to say, most content) will have judder when played at 60Hz. This is because 24 does not divide evenly into 60, and so even if the frames are doubled, that still leaves 12 that the TV/device has to make up and fill in somewhere. Basically, 36 out of 60 frames are “fake” when you’re watching 24fps content at 60Hz.

Last edited:

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
Still waiting on a new ship date of my 4k appletv. They took my money... then gave it back. Shipped me a HDMI cable that I can't use. Over a month now. If I had one it would be updating.

CooperCologne

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2010
Didn't Apple say this was originally put in place to minimize the "mode switching", which causes intermittent "drops" in the video connection to the TV? Are they going with the stance that showing content in it's native FR/DR is worth those intermittent drops now?...

I assume they realized that you can't say "we (Apple) love movies" and then do such a bad job with messing up frame rates and dynamic range of colors ;)

Mediakip

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
Sweden just got Universal Search and the Apple TV App in 11.1. So looks like that’s live now and no longer a beta.

Attachments

• AD789A1A-C967-4D6B-81A6-D8CCA45F6B84.jpeg
    AD789A1A-C967-4D6B-81A6-D8CCA45F6B84.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
Reactions: dabotsonline

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
Does anybody know if 24p playback will be available on the old model Apple TV4 for 1080p, not just the 4K?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.