Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming tvOS 11.3 update to developers for testing purposes, just a day after releasing the tvOS 11.2.5 update.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the tvOS 11.3 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

tvos113beta-800x473.jpg

According to Apple's release notes, tvOS 11.3 includes bug fixes, new features, and security improvements, with a list available below:

- Enhancements to Match Content support.
- Automatic frame rate switching on Apple TV 4th Generation.
- Automatic mode switching for AirPlay video sessions.

tvOS 11.2.5, the previous tvOS update, featured no major outward-facing changes that were noticed by Apple TV users, appearing to instead include minor under-the-hood updates.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of tvOS 11.3 to Developers

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Airplay 2!
apparently, not yet...still off in the future..."coming soon".

Whatever issue(s) they're having implementing AirPlay 2, it delayed the HomePod, I assume they had to redo the firmware for AirPlay (1) support, since it seemed like the HomePod was designed hand in hand with AirPlay 2.

Reactions: dabotsonline

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Where is the promised Dolby Atmos support?

HDMI 2.1 validation is to occur through Q2'18. By that point, tvOS 12 is right around the corner in Q3. We'll likely see firmware support added at that time for eARC (and Dolby Atmos), QMS, and VRR (maybe).

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1516615699

So this means 24p video on the non-4K ATV4?

That is correct (Gen5 is the ATV4K, Gen4 is the 1080p version- aka the first version- of the "new" ATV)

Last edited:
Reactions: D.T.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Where is the promised Dolby Atmos support?
The silence is deafening. I think the longer we go without hearing anything, the less likely it will happen.

A great bullet point for the AppleTV4k 2 would be "now with Dolby Atmos Support!" isn't it?

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
HDMI 2.1 validation is to occur through Q2'18. By that point, tvOS 12 is right around the corner in Q3. We'll likely see firmware support added at that time for eARC (and Dolby Atmos), QMS, and VRR (maybe).
Unfortunately I don't think a firmware update will enable the apple tv to support hdmi 2.1. This is a significant change and will most likely require a new apple tv rev. Supporting significantly higher bandwidth as well as dynamically changing refresh rates would usually be hardware change to the processor media unit.

That said, there isn't any reason why Dolby Atmos can't be supported today.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Unfortunately I don't think a firmware update will enable the apple tv to support hdmi 2.1. This is a significant change and will most likely require a new apple tv rev. Supporting significantly higher bandwidth as well as dynamically changing refresh rates would usually be hardware change to the processor media unit.

That said, there isn't any reason why Dolby Atmos can't be supported today.

Some key features of HDMI 2.1 can be applied through firmware updates (follow the link I provided in my previous post for a read-through of the features and what they are).

That said, it's at the manufacturer's discretion whether or not to deploy HDMI 2.1 features like eARC, QMS, and VRR to their HDMI 2.0/a/b devices. Apple will likely do so with the ATV4K 2017.

As for Dolby Atmos, it's doable even over HDMI 1.4, but many consider DA and eARC as going hand-in-hand as eARC makes DA set up much easier. My guess is that's Apple's approach, and that's why we haven't seen added support yet.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
"- Automatic mode switching for AirPlay video sessions." ...what is this????

I hope this goes hand in hand with "Enhancements to Match Content Support". Hopefully auto switching between 720p, 1080p and 4K, as well as frame rate and SDR/HDR/DV.

Unlike Apple TV content which streams the proper resolution for the selected resolution, a Phone or Mac might be playing back a different resolution than the ATV is set to display. Having the ATV auto match the proper resolution would solve all kinds of issues for me.

Reactions: ErikGrim

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Define promise. They told the Verge "the lack of Atmos isn’t a hardware limitation, and that support is on the roadmap." People may have read Apple's words and included that in a buying decision.

Who told the verge? Give me a name?

Essentially the verge asked ‘someone’ at Apple. I could pop into an Apple Genius Bar and get a whole range of information some of which is accurate,some of which isn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jayderek

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
"- Automatic frame rate switching on Apple TV 4th Generation." -YES, finally!

"- Automatic mode switching for AirPlay video sessions." ...what is this????

Auto Frame Rate Switching - That's HUGE news for anyone who still has the ATV4!!! There's going to be a lot of happy owners :)

ATV 4th generation owner here. What will this improve exactly and how would this help when viewing content? Will it be smoother overall or save energy? Don't seem to understand this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.