Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 4.3.1 to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming watchOS 4.3.1 update to developers, a little under one week after releasing watchOS 4.3, a major update that introduced portrait Nightstand mode and iPhone music controls on Apple Watch.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software update.

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

It's not yet clear what new features will be introduced in the watchOS 4.3.1 update, but it's likely to include bug fixes for issues that have been discovered since the release of watchOS 4.3.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 4.3.1 to Developers

jhfenton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Anyone seeing this via OTA? Have the profile installed but no luck
I have a red (1) badge indicating an update, but I get a failed connection error when I check. I have now updated my phone to iOS 11.4 beta 1, but I saw the error before the 11.4 beta installed. (I checked Watch while the iOS beta was downloading.)

I've tried the obvious things for troubleshooting: rebooting both devices, turning radios off and on. The Watch *is* otherwise connected to the iPhone and working fine. I have a few more troubleshooting tricks to try (deleting and reinstalling profiles is next). I *really* don't want to unpair and re-pair.

IMG_0286.PNG

melancholy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2016
So infuriating. My Apple Watch is connected to my iPhone, yet it’s telling me the Apple Watch isn’t connected. I can see the update, yet I can’t get passed this error.

MLVC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
I have a red (1) badge indicating an update, but I get a failed connection error when I check. I have now updated my phone to iOS 11.4 beta 1, but I saw the error before the 11.4 beta installed. (I checked Watch while the iOS beta was downloading.)

I've tried the obvious things for troubleshooting: rebooting both devices, turning radios off and on. The Watch *is* otherwise connected to the iPhone and working fine. I have a few more troubleshooting tricks to try (deleting and reinstalling profiles is next). I *really* don't want to unpair and re-pair.

View attachment 756684
Same issue. Deleting and reinstalling profile didn’t help either. Maybe patience will help? I hate red badges though.

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013

View attachment 756684
Don’t worry, they’re going to nail the watch update process by watchOS 7, you’ll see.

sontran23

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2014
i stopped getting the error after turning the watch off and on but no luck on getting the update. been stuck on "checking for update" for a good minute now.

HQuest

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012

View attachment 756684
The notificafion file for the update is ready but seems the actual partial update files are not, so it fails the check...

Patience, little grasshopper!

davethorp

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Preston, Lancashire, UK
Same issue here. Tried a number of restarts. Anyone gone nuclear and tried a pair/repair? I don’t want to do that myself as it tends to cause issues with the cellular service on my series 3 when I do

jhfenton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Mine is still stuck — “could not connect to Apple Watch”
I'm glad it's not a "me" problem. If it's widespread, then Apple will probably fix it without my wasting further time troubleshooting.
[doublepost=1522694118][/doublepost]
Same issue here. Tried a number of restarts. Anyone gone nuclear and tried a pair/repair? I don’t want to do that myself as it tends to cause issues with the cellular service on my series 3 when I do
Since it's a widespread problem, and since my S2 is working fine otherwise, I'm just going to wait and try again this evening. I want to make sure I have my Watch for my run in a couple of hours.

Christian 5G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
Still waiting for Spotify app. I wouldn't get any happier than ability to stream music from Spotify and being able to run. No thanks to Apple Music

Last edited:

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
I can't install to work as well, I think there is a lot of people that shouldn't be installing betas on their stuff. Beta testing means sometimes things don't work and we have to wait for fix, if no one can get it work, it maybe a bug in iOS.

jhfenton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I can't install to work as well, I think there is a lot of people that shouldn't be installing betas on their stuff.
Watch OS betas are for developers only. We should know what we're doing.

Beta testing means sometimes things don't work and we have to wait for fix, if no one can get it work, it maybe a bug in iOS.
This is why I reported my problem originally and stopped troubleshooting once I saw that it was widespread problem. It was more alarming initially, because it's not the more common update error where it appears that the server isn't responding. This time we get an error that implies a connection failure with the Watch.

davethorp

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Preston, Lancashire, UK
I can't install to work as well, I think there is a lot of people that shouldn't be installing betas on their stuff. Beta testing means sometimes things don't work and we have to wait for fix, if no one can get it work, it maybe a bug in iOS.
Whether people should or should not be installing betas on their devices is irrelevant and lets not forget that Apple release public beta builds of most of their operating systems these days.

There is what would appear to be a widespread issue in the latest developer build. Which is exactly what developer beta testing is for. Apple will need to address that issue before releasing iOS 11.4 or Watch OS 4.3.1 to the wild and the more people who inform of that and help them with testing any potential fixes the better

Reactions: nekonokami

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
Whether people should or should not be installing betas on their devices is irrelevant and lets not forget that Apple release public beta builds of most of their operating systems these days.

There is what would appear to be a widespread issue in the latest developer build. Which is exactly what developer beta testing is for. Apple will need to address that issue before releasing iOS 11.4 or Watch OS 4.3.1 to the wild and the more people who inform of that and help them with testing any potential fixes the better
I was referring to people that are getting upset it isn't working.

davethorp

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Preston, Lancashire, UK
I was referring to people that are getting upset it isn't working.
One person described the issue as infuriating. Beyond that I can’t see anyone getting upset in this thread. A few people have reported the issue, few others have said “me too”. Exactly what a beta is for and it actually helps beta testers to know they aren’t the only ones with an issue as it will focus any efforts when Apple roll out beta 2, which I would expect will be quicker than normal if they need to roll it out to fix the watch update issue

Reactions: nekonokami

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
One person described the issue as infuriating. Beyond that I can’t see anyone getting upset in this thread. A few people have reported the issue, few others have said “me too”. Exactly what a beta is for and it actually helps beta testers to know they aren’t the only ones with an issue as it will focus any efforts when Apple roll out beta 2, which I would expect will be quicker than normal if they need to roll it out to fix the watch update issue
Im guessing it will take an iOS update to fix it...

dillacom

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2006
I had to disconnect and re setup my watch for it to take. something in ios 11.4 beta acting up.