MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming watchOS 6.1 beta to developers, a little under a week after releasing the watchOS 6 update with full App Store, new Apple Watch faces, and more.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update.

applewatchseries5-800x609.jpg

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

It's not yet clear what features will be introduced in the watchOS 6.1 update, but we'll be updating this article when we find out.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 6.1 to Developers

IAmGLaDOS

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Anyone else have battery life issues with watchOS 6? I installed on my S4 and my battery life was cut in half. I figured out that it was the new Noise monitoring feature. I had a complication of it on my watch face and I turned the Noise feature off completely and battery life is back to normal. Need to test it with the Noise feature on, but not display the complication on the watch face to see if it is the feature or it was the constant monitoring of the complication that was causing the drain.

Comment

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Anyone else have battery life issues with watchOS 6? I installed on my S4 and my battery life was cut in half. I figured out that it was the new Noise monitoring feature. I had a complication of it on my watch face and I turned the Noise feature off completely and battery life is back to normal. Need to test it with the Noise feature on, but not display the complication on the watch face to see if it is the feature or it was the constant monitoring of the complication that was causing the drain.
There is a fix

Comment

ewartjohn11

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Yeah, I noticed this too. I was curious about the noise feature, but with the mic always on, it definitely put a nice dent in my battery life. Normally I make it to the end of a day with 60-70% range, but now I’m anywhere between 35-45% since upgrading to watch OS 6.

Reactions: IAmGLaDOS
Comment

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
You saying there is a fix in this new update, or there is a fix in the current build of watchOS 6 and if so what is it?
Some have had luck with power cycling the watch not just forced reboot.

Hold the side button down until the screen prompts to slide to power off. Power off the watch, them start it back up. Also make sure Noise is disabled.

I’m still seeing more power drain on my AW4 with OS6 but not rapid drain after doing this.

Reactions: SoN1NjA
Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Hopefully it offers the ability to return to managing apps through the iPhone. It’s great to have a separate app store, but the larger screen is still the right place to find the apps in most cases.
Worth noting that you can still find apps for the watch on the iPhone App Store app. I wish it were still in the watch app, as that seems the logical place for it, but you can still find watch apps on the iPhone if need be.

Comment

Howard Ellacott

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
United Kingdom
I’ve got that complication on my series 4 watch face and haven’t noticed any change in battery... yet!

Comment

BadMelonFarmer

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2010
North Somerset
Errrm, anyone updated to 6.1 and lost meridian watch face?

watch restarted an had changed to Siri watch face.... it was the only one and meridian was not available to set back up.
Very odd

rebooting watch to see if it fixes it

S5 44mm SS
[automerge]1569262331[/automerge]

watch restarted an had changed to Siri watch face.... it was the only one and meridian was not available to set back up.
Very odd

S5 44mm SS
Nope.... still missing

Comment

podycust

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2017

Very odd

S5 44mm SS
[automerge]1569262331[/automerge]

Nope.... still missing
It’s a know issue it’s mentioned in the release notes

Reactions: btrach144
Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
Yeah, I noticed this too. I was curious about the noise feature, but with the mic always on, it definitely put a nice dent in my battery life. Normally I make it to the end of a day with 60-70% range, but now I’m anywhere between 35-45% since upgrading to watch OS 6.

I had no issues with and it been using since beta 1.

Comment

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
What's with the Meridian Watch face? It was also missing in the iphone 6.1 beta in the app even though it was on the watch itself. What the heck is going on over there....

Reactions: SoN1NjA
Comment

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
What's with the Meridian Watch face? It was also missing in the iphone 6.1 beta in the app even though it was on the watch itself. What the heck is going on over there....
Apple noted it as missing in the Beta 1 notes. Has me wondering if something is up with this particular watch face. Maybe those of use having issues should test by removing this face from our watch?

Comment

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Apple noted it as missing in the Beta 1 notes. Has me wondering if something is up with this particular watch face. Maybe those of use having issues should test by removing this face from our watch?
Ha.. wouldn't surprise me.. Test in beta by removal altogether. that's a new one.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.