Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first public beta of an upcoming macOS Sonoma 14.1 update, allowing non-developers to test out the software ahead of its release. The public beta comes a day after the first developer beta.

macos-sonoma-4.jpg

Beta testers can opt-in through the Software Update section of the System Settings app. Under Beta updates, simply toggle on the Sonoma Public Beta. Note that you must sign up to participate on Apple's beta testing website.

macOS Sonoma 14.1 includes updates for the Music app, introducing an option to favorite songs, albums, artists, and more. No other major new additions have been found in the beta as of yet, but we could see more features added as the beta progresses.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Public Beta of macOS Sonoma 14.1

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Ileskovar

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2016
I think apple stumbled upon a cheat by allowing themselves to release an incomplete OS on time and piecemealing its major features to keep the buzz going throughout the year. I think it's a solid strategy. Hopefully the extra time it buys them allows apple to put out better quality software
It is free, nobody is forcing You to install, so don't install it. Easy right?

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
I think apple stumbled upon a cheat by allowing themselves to release an incomplete OS on time and piecemealing its major features to keep the buzz going throughout the year. I think it's a solid strategy. Hopefully the extra time it buys them allows apple to put out better quality software
You're excusing Apple's negligence, this is embarrassing cheerleading over a brand. If Microsoft did this you'd tear them a new one.

You need to be better. Be objective.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
OMG, I can't believe I pre-ordered this! So much money down the drain and the OS isn't even finished and....

...wait, it was free. And it was just some of the features not included yet.

Mr Magoo

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
Wouldn’t you like to know
Isn't free. Pay a premium for hardware that includes the software. It's baked in the price of admission. If it was free it would be open source. I don't like yearly updates that sometimes breaks compatibility with software I use. I usually stay on same macOS version as long as there's security updates. Beta versions are for developers and people with more patience then me :).

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Pay a premium for hardware that includes the software.
Yes, you pay a premium that includes the software that SHIPS INSTALLED ON THE HARDWARE WHEN YOU BUY IT. Future updates cost any developer, and Apple is no exception. That's one of the reasons they charge a premium.
Isn't free... If it was free it would be open source.
You do realize that open-source doesn't have anything to do with cost, right? There are open-source apps that charge money to use, and there are apps that are free that are not open-source.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
So far it's working pretty well for me, Safaru history erases now without having to restart safari but the blinking blue cursor is driving me nuts. I can't figure out how to make it black again if that's even possible.
I have looked in settings, does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Insane how up-in-arms people get about getting “only” 70 new features for free right away and 10 later, instead of all 80 at once. What a twisted perspective.
Truth be known, if Apple released the features in a buggy incomplete state these same people would then complain that they should have waited until it was finished which would open up complaints about macOS being delayed or if they released it then merged the feature in 14.x update they would engage in hyperbole about how it was the worse thing that had ever befallen humanity. It truly is amazing the number of people on this forum who have no idea how to manage a large project.

Side note: For people bringing up Microsoft and "what if the did it?!" - they do that already with the Canary builds of Windows and how not every feature makes its way back to the main stream release or are delayed sometimes multiple release cycles because the feature isn't ready yet - see tabs in Explorer and the delays because they weren't ready yet.

ductng

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2021
I am a GPGTools for Mail user and it is not compatible with Mail in Sonoma 14.0. The new extensions interface does not seem to offer enough features to work with GPGTools (according to the developers here: https://gpgtools.org/sonoma), but they said they are in touch with Apple about this and hope that with the next minor update, they get a first working version.

I hope that we can already verify in the beta version that GPGTools for Mail is somewhat usable in 14.1!

appleuser_7777

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2022
Are anyone else iPhone widgets not working after this update, or is just me?
Not only you, iPhone widgets are black. Also, there are many lags in Wi-Fi menu (when clicking available networks), drop-down menu stutters and opens for 20-30 seconds with Super-low FPS
MBP M1

Mr Magoo

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
Wouldn’t you like to know
Yes, you pay a premium that includes the software that SHIPS INSTALLED ON THE HARDWARE WHEN YOU BUY IT. Future updates cost any developer, and Apple is no exception. That's one of the reasons they charge a premium.

You do realize that open-source doesn't have anything to do with cost, right? There are open-source apps that charge money to use, and there are apps that are free that are not open-source.
1. Basically you are repeating what I said.
2. Open source software is typically free to use, modify and distribute. So I used it as an example.

achtung!

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2005
Portugal
people need to understand that all software is always in beta, everything in life is in beta. you just need to be aware of the issues and decide if you are willing to make the jump and deal with the rough edges. it will never be perfect or ready.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.