Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming iOS 12.1 update to developers, one week after seeding the third beta and a month after releasing iOS 12, a major new version of the iOS software.

Registered developers can download the new iOS 12.1 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Developer Center.

groupfacetime.jpg

iOS 12.1 includes several new features that Apple promised would come to the iPhone XS and XS Max. The beta introduces support for the eSIM, which is a digital SIM that lets you activate a cellular plan from a carrier without the need to use a physical SIM card.

Carriers will need to implement support for eSIM, which is likely to happen after iOS 12.1 launches. In the U.S., AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile will support eSIM.

appleesim-800x557.jpg

The iOS 12.1 update brings a new real-time Depth Control feature, which lets you adjust the depth of field of your Portrait Mode photos before you capture them. Right now, in iOS 12, Depth Control is only available for post-capture editing.

If you tap on the "F" icon at the top of the screen while capturing a photo you use Depth Control to adjust the amount of background blur in an image.

iphonexsdepthcontrol-800x629.jpg

In addition to these iPhone XS and XS Max features, iOS 12.1 reintroduces the Group FaceTime feature that was removed from iOS 12 during the beta testing period. Group FaceTime was present in many early betas but was ultimately removed because Apple needed more time to test it.

Group FaceTime is designed to let iPhone and Mac users conduct video and audio chats with up to 32 participants at one time, with new camera effects features included.

The update also adds more than 70 new emoji to iPhones and iPads, with options that include red hair, gray hair, curly hair, cold face, party face, face with hearts, mango, kangaroo, peacock, lobster, cupcake, and tons more.

As for bug fixes, iOS 12.1 addresses a charging problem that could cause iPhone and iPad models running iOS 12 to fail to charge when connected to a Lightning cable while the screen is off and it fixes a bug that caused iPhone XS and XS Max models to prefer 2.4GHz WiFi networks to 5GHz networks, resulting in perceived slower WiFi speeds. Both of these bugs have also been addressed in the iOS 12.0.1 update, released last week.

If any additional new features are found in the fourth iOS 12.1 beta, we'll update this post with details.

Update: Apple has also seeded a new public beta of iOS 12.1 to its public beta testing group.

Update 2: As noted by Emojipedia, Apple tweaked the design of the bagel emoji in iOS 12.1 beta 4 to add cream cheese and more texture to the bread.

bagelemojiios121-800x455.jpg

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of iOS 12.1 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus

As for bug fixes, iOS 12.1 addresses a charging problem that could cause iPhone and iPad models running iOS 12 to fail to charge when connected to a Lightning cable while the screen is off and it fixes a bug that caused iPhone XS and XS Max models to prefer 2.4GHz WiFi networks to 5GHz networks, resulting in perceived slower WiFi speeds. Both of these bugs have also been addressed in the iOS 12.0.1 update, released yesterday.

By the way, there are a large number of people for whom 12.0.1 did NOT fix their WiFi performance issues. There is a real problem here on the XS.

FrenchRoasted

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Haven’t had a chance to try FaceTime till last night, now I know what everyone’s complaining about. How can they mess up an app so badly? Hoping the group version fixes the interface.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Haven’t had a chance to try FaceTime till last night, now I know what everyone’s complaining about. How can they mess up an app so badly? Hoping the group version fixes the interface.

Yeah gotta wonder whose idea it was to make multiple steps what used to be single steps. Switching cameras is something people do a lot of with Facetime.

Adam620

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2015
Anyone having an issue where edited Live photos synced to MacOS Mojave via usb are not syncing back to their iPhone Xs iOS 12 through iTunes (Live within the MacOS photos app). The picture sync's just not the live feature, non edited live photos synced just fine. Not sure if this is limited to Mojave, iOS 12, new iTunes or the new iPhone Xs.

I have tried un-syncing and re-syncing, Repairing photo library, rebuilding iPod photo cache with the the photos library, and restoring my iPhone and still have the issue. Thanks!!

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone on the 12.1 public beta planning to get a Xr? I agreed to this public beta without thinking (it’s the same as the 12.0 beta group that would have been ok for a new phone in the fall). I’m only thinking now that if the Xr comes out before 12.1 does to the public, that I won’t be able to restore from a backup since the XR would have 12.0x. Anyone else in this boat?

MrJeffreyGee

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
I can’t wait for the eSim and the depth of field photo effect. I hope they change the new interface of FaceTime as well. It seems difficult and not intuitive to use... especially when making the menu go away.

Reactions: bayelrey80

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
I wasn't getting the update, thought I'd remove and reinstall the profile.. Funny thing, it was gone? I was running 12.1.B3 as well?? Really odd, I do not remember ever uninstalling the profile. Anyhow.. reinstalled and B4 is downloading now.

CentralOffice

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Curious on battery life -- was considering installing but my battery life on 12.01 is excellent on the Max.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bayelrey80

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Yeah gotta wonder whose idea it was to make multiple steps what used to be single steps. Switching cameras is something people do a lot of with Facetime.

Unbelievably aggravating, not to mention you can't even see the camera switch from back to front etc, what with the menu taking up the whole screen. Mad.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
Does this bring back FaceTime camera button that was removed in iOS 12? Screenshots are okay but the photo button was better. You got a full res pic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.