Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of macOS Catalina to Developers

vbctv

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
www.sparkktv.com
Apple just added another tidbit to the beta section on it's Dev site...

MacOS Catalina beta 4 does not support the MacBook Air model released in Summer 2019. A future beta of Catalina will add support for MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2019).

Reactions: EDTHM

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
chrismcneese.me
So there is a new Dev beta and a Public beta build as well?
Yes, there is! I just opened my Sys Prefs to check, and voila! There it sat.
[doublepost=1563302438][/doublepost]
I hope so soon as SfB is awful on Catalina, however I was told MS are winding up SfB dev as they want people to move to Teams
People still use Skype? Jk!

PastaPrimav

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2017
MacOS Catalina occupies two partitions, one for the system software that is mounted as read-only by default and one for user-generated data (users folder, installed apps, etc.) that is mounted as read-write. This message is referring to the system partition, but it really needs to be rephrased to make that more clear. The files on the data partition should be safe.
I've seen this and it is really dumb. Very, very confusing to any experienced Mac user. It looks like something went awfully awry, it doesn't look like anything Apple did intentionally.

We do not need this level of security on personal computers. This is beyond stupid.

"Terminal wants to access your Downloads" folder. GTFO.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
Is it me or are this year's betas a lot rougher than last year's?

This doesn't bode well for a trouble-free release later this year. I do hope they can get all the problems worked out, but I may end up waiting a bit before upgrading this time around.
Not just you. Same thing as iOS 13. I feel like they are trying to rewrite lots of core stuff with bad engineering.

Reactions: Apple Fritter

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Home is everywhere and nowhere.
MacOS Catalina occupies two partitions, one for the system software that is mounted as read-only by default and one for user-generated data (users folder, installed apps, etc.) that is mounted as read-write. This message is referring to the system partition, but it really needs to be rephrased to make that more clear. The files on the data partition should be safe.
Actually 3, VM and sleepimage is on another disk.

VincentSaintLoup

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2019
Oh god.. Here we go!

I can't imagine iCloud stuff is going to get any worse.. So fingers crossed.
Very true! I just did the update… still waiting to see comments on people re-activating their iCloud Drive to see how it goes before trying it out myself.

Let us know how it goes on your side!

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Is it me or are this year's betas a lot rougher than last year's?

This doesn't bode well for a trouble-free release later this year. I do hope they can get all the problems worked out, but I may end up waiting a bit before upgrading this time around.
Nope, I had issues and still have with Time Machine, buggy like hell, also, if you're fairly low on space it's hard to install the betas, I had major headaches going from the first beta to the second, then third and can't Update to beta 4, says I need 10.54 GB, system reports I have 16.93 GB, still refuses to update, like the other times before this one.

Screenshot 2019-07-16 at 21.19.09.png

tethead

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
www.week4paug.net
Anyone else been stuck on “estimated time remaining” for the last 90 minutes?
Yes my update is taking forever. It restarted itself after maybe 30 minutes on Estimated but now has spent another 20 minutes with the bar very slowly moving, no estimate on screen and it’s still only up to left side of Apple logo.

talisman83

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2019
So is this safe to install the public beta? That warning "Macintosh HD contains files on the root of the volume. If you continue installation, these files will be deleted" is alarming. Has anyone installed it?

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Does the Fourth Beta of macOS Catalina allow to save Time Machine backups into AFPS disks?

waquzy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
Nope, I had issues and still have with Time Machine, buggy like hell, also, if you're fairly low on space it's hard to install the betas, I had major headaches going from the first beta to the second, then third and can't Update to beta 4, says I need 10.54 GB, system reports I have 16.93 GB, still refuses to update, like the other times before this one.

View attachment 848487
I see you have the 128GB machine, I remember those days when I had the 2015 Retina 13inch base model, and damn I hated the 128GB storage, that was one of the biggest mistakes I made... always struggling with storage and trying to find ways to free some space. ARGHHH!!!!! Never again have I touched the base 128GB storage models, its a complete waste of money imo.

Anyways, good luck with your beta, I hope you find a way to install it

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
So is this safe to install the public beta? That warning "Macintosh HD contains files on the root of the volume. If you continue installation, these files will be deleted" is alarming. Has anyone installed it?

It's always safe if you are sensible, have at least one backup, you should always have a recent backup, hardware will always fail, the question is, how soon.

cmChimera

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2010
I’ve noticed issues with the new music app in the past week, myself. Have you tried sending that feedback? That’s always the best way to get it resolved.
Also, I use an external monitor for work and thankfully haven’t had issues plugging into it. I’m using a 13” mid-2017 MBP with a 27” Dell USB-C monitor.
Yep I've sent some feedback!

VincentSaintLoup

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2019

I did a new TimeMachine backup then I installed it (I didn't get that "alarming notice" — I supposed it's because I simply never store any files in the root of my HD?), everything went well, nothing was deleted, in fact I can already see that some bugs were corrected.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I see you have the 128GB machine, I remember those days when I had the 2015 Retina 13inch base model, and damn I hated the 128GB storage, that was one of the biggest mistakes I made... always struggling with storage and trying to find ways to free some space. ARGHHH!!!!! Never again have I touched the base 128GB storage models, its a complete waste of money imo.

Anyways, good luck with your beta, I hope you find a way to install it
I installed the SSD myself, I should just delete a lot of apps which I never use, I already cleaned last time, going from beta 2 to 3 I managed to have 27 GB free space, seems like something is going on, might be crappy Timemachine making local backups, even though I switched it off.

My Mac Mini actually has 2 disks, one 500 HDD and a 128 GB after market SSD, yup, this one was capable of having 2 disks inside.

Weird things going on, just after a restart the system (Command-I on SSD) reports about 8 GB, it will go up steadily in a few minutes, I have no clue why, never seen this behaviour before, must be something to do with Catalina.

Reactions: waquzy