Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of macOS Catalina to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 16, 2019.

1. zpukiee macrumors newbie

if anyone is interested, I was able to delete the Backups.backupsdb folder by mounting Macintosh HD partition as read-write (in Terminal.app "sudo mount -uw /" and "killall Finder"). After a reboot the installation started no problem

2. mixel macrumors 68000

mixel

Woke up in the morning and it worked! Wooo!

So the answer is to leave the stuck progress bar even if it seems like its never going to move, because it IS going to move. Even if it takes 5+ hours. Just leave it.

3. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

Last beta the password for my admin account just wasn't accepted anymore.... Tried everything, terminal commands, iCloud password recovery, TimeMachine... nothing was working, I just received weird Error messages from Catalina.

Ended up formatting and using the internet recovery, and using Time Machine afterwards.

4. NecRosex, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019

NecRosex macrumors member

NecRosex

I woke up and it’s done.
    Wooohoooo!!!
    No idea what took so long.
    Good luck everyone.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2019 ---
    Guys while we are at it, does automatic wallpaper for Catalina work for you? I see the Island always in Dark even tho it’s set to Automatic.
    Mojave dynamic (both desert and sky) change throughout the day.

5. GadgetBen macrumors 65816

GadgetBen

The PB installation was a fuss but this build is working well. Finder is a lot better.

6. waquzy macrumors 6502a

waquzy

Nope and it hasn’t worked since the beginning of the Catalina beta, the dynamic wallpaper is coming later as far as I know

7. NecRosex macrumors member

NecRosex

Thanks.

8. mainoffender macrumors newbie

mainoffender

Confirmed.

9. Ledurpabbi macrumors member

Ledurpabbi

Still waiting here. I'll give it an hour and I'm going back to Mojave

10. flexiboy1912 macrumors member

flexiboy1912

Artwork even more screwed up now in both Music and TV app , nothing is showing at all where as I had some in previous beta release.

It was showing in the info tab for purchased films and even that has stopped working now.

11. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

Well it was at least 2 hours on less than a minute remaining, but this am I woke up to a dark screen, and voila, its beta 2!

12. tethead macrumors 6502

tethead

Mine is still stuck this morning. Going on 15 hours now. Yay.

13. andredicioccio macrumors newbie

andredicioccio

Has anyone had it succeed with them rebooting the machine half way through. After about an hour (the first time) I reset the machine thinking it had locked up. I'm up to 3 hours now on about 25% so am hoping that the reboot didnt stuff it.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2019 ---
    Totally agree. Both catalina and ios 13 are a lot worse that previous primary betas. Not sure if they had pressure to get it out or something but it definitely could have gone through some more internal testing before this.

14. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

Aaargh - I have not-on-bleeding-edge angst.

I typically upgrade to the latest dev beta (phone and laptop) as soon as it comes out. I'm not a registered developer - I'm not any kind of official developer - but I like to think I know enough (and have enough backups) to recover from any issue. However ...

I need my laptop for something important tomorrow, and this latest beta update seems flaky. I'll wait until tomorrow night. There's no corresponding iOS beta either, which is odd.

15. cmaus macrumors member

cmaus

My iCloud Drive seems to work fine now.
    Make sure to immediately tick "Optimize storage on this Mac" after turning on iCloud Drive so it won't hickup, because iCloud Drive is indeed still broken, however, it works as long as you don't give it too much work load at once. Downloading a file or a folder at a time does the trick.
    At least, it doesn't move my files randomly around anymore.
    The problem that persists however, is that the "app library" of Readdle Scanner Pro (if you happen to use that) is displayed as "Documents" in iCloud Drive. Whereas the actual macOS "Documents" folder is named "Documents 2", but works just fine. macOS doesn't mess with the wrong Documents folder anymore, despite the weird and wrong naming scheme.
    When looking at my iCloud Drive in Mojave, it does show Scanner Pro's folder as "Documents", however, Mojave keeps the name of the macOS "Documents" folder as "Documents" too.

I think it's not wise of Readdle to come up with such a confusing name for their app's files. And on Apple's behalf: They need to fix and polish Catalina's iCloud Drive much more.
    I am glad though it's sort of usable now though.
    Folder after folder, I downloaded all my iCloud Drive contents back to my 3TB Fusion Drive iMac.

16. mixel macrumors 68000

mixel

Yup, I rebooted mine twice when I thought it had frozen, second time zapped the PRAM.. left it overnight (stuck at 26%) and it’s up and running fine now.

17. flexiboy1912 macrumors member

flexiboy1912

I updated all 3 of mine to the beta and they just worked as normal and no longer then usual so its odd some people having issues. So far nothing new and artwork still not displaying on music and tv

18. recoil80 macrumors 68030

The update breaks SwiftUI live preview, one of the reasons why some iOS developers are installing the beta, so it is better to skip the update until the new Xcode beta is out solving the issue

19. andredicioccio macrumors newbie

andredicioccio

Thanks for that. Feeling a little less worried now.
    It's actually moved up now to 75% saying 13 minutes remaining (at about +4hrs since I started).
    Hopefully gives some confidence too to anyone else in this position.

20. mgworek macrumors member

Mine updated fine but running apps sucks. I am getting the beach ball every 30 seconds on some apps. wtf.

21. socialwill macrumors member

Did you do an upgrade from the previous beta or was this a new install? Still on Mojave but was thinking of moving to this beta.

22. socialwill macrumors member

Thinking it would be best to wait one more beta. Still sounds rough on the edges. I think with the last two major updates being less on new features we kinda of got used to early betas being stable. :)

23. Dshearin macrumors newbie

Dshearin

After letting the update run overnight, I have a working MacBook Pro again. Whew!

24. andredicioccio macrumors newbie

andredicioccio

Just finished also myself now. Ended up taking about 5 hours in total.

25. andredicioccio macrumors newbie

andredicioccio

I had the same problem trying to free up space. It seemed that iCloud was continuously filling up my drive and being on a MacBook pro the drive space was pretty limited.
    I found that disabling iCloud totally under system settings and then rebooting a couple of times first stopped the issue for me.