Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of macOS Ventura 13.3 to developers for testing purposes, with the new software update coming a week after the release of the third macOS 13.3 beta.

Ventura-Macs-Feature-Yellow.jpg

Registered developers can download the beta through the Apple Developer Center and after the appropriate profile is installed, with the betas available through the Software Update mechanism in System Settings.

macOS Ventura 13.3 adopts the same new emoji characters that are in iOS 16.4 and iPadOS 16.4, including pink heart, light blue heart, left and right hand, moose, black bird, goose, wing, jellyfish, pea pod, finger, and more.

The update adds the new HomeKit architecture that was initially removed from iOS 16.2 and its sister updates, and the revised version should have fewer bugs that affect HomeKit setups.

macOS Ventura 13.3 will go through a few more rounds of beta testing, with Apple planning to release it in the spring.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of macOS Ventura 13.3 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Last edited:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm mostly annoyed by Apple ignoring basic things like the size of Finder windows not being remembered, or the Image Capture app not being well-maintained. It also doesn't remember the window size. I have to resize it every darn time I open it!

And then backwards movement in other areas. For example, you used to be able to drag-and-copy keychain items from the 'login' keychain into the 'iCloud' keychain, but that no longer works. Super frustrating.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
OTA for M1 Mac is 2.41 GB

Accelerate

New Features

• The BLAS and LAPACK libraries under the Accelerate framework are now inline with reference version 3.9.1. These new interfaces provide additional functionality and a new ILP64 interface. To use the new interfaces, define ACCELERATE_NEW_LAPACK before including the Accelerate or vecLib headers. For ILP64 interfaces, also define ACCELERATE_LAPACK_ILP64. For Swift projects, specify ACCELERATE_NEW_LAPACK=1 and ACCELERATE_LAPACK_ILP64=1 as preprocessor macros in Xcode build settings. (105572917)

Accessory Security

New Features

• On Apple silicon portables, SD or SD extended capacity cards require user approval before the card can communicate with macOS. (102838867)

Core ML

Deprecations

• Core ML Model Deployment is being deprecated. Consider using Background Assets or NSURLSession instead. (102993813)

iCloud Settings

Known Issues

• You might be unable to enter the upgrade page for iCloud+ from iCloud Settings. (104629261)
    Workaround: Click “Upgrade to iCloud+” from https://www.apple.com/icloud/ to trigger the upgrade page.
  • Some apps which previously displayed sync toggles in iCloud Drive Settings aren’t currently displayed. (105239897)

Installation

Known Issues

• macOS Ventura 13.3 beta installer fails when upgrading from versions prior to macOS Big Sur. (106102320)
    Workaround: Upgrade to macOS Ventura 13.2.1 before upgrading to macOS Ventura 13.3.

Metal

Resolved Issues

Pages, Numbers, and Keynote

Known Issues

• When Advanced Data Protection for iCloud is turned on, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote might unexpectedly require collaborative documents to be closed. (103463223)
    Workaround: Close the affected document, spreadsheet, or presentation and reopen it after a few minutes.

Safari Web Extensions

New Features

• Added support for modifyHeaders action type for declarativeNetRequest rules. (71867709)
  • Added support for browser.storage.session to store up to 10MB of data in-memory. (79283961)
  • Added support for persistent content scripts via browser.scripting.registerContentScript, browser.scripting.getRegisteredContentScripts, browser.scripting.unregisterContentScripts, and scripting.updateContentScripts. (91261369)

Resolved Issues

• Fixed browser.webNavigation events firing for hosts where the extension didn’t have access. Extensions should request host permissions for sites to receive events. (100204850)

StoreKit

Resolved Issues

• Fixed an issue causing iOS apps on Mac to fail while purchasing or restoring in-app content. (102123618)

SwiftUI

Resolved Issues

• Fixed a regression where the truncationMode view modifier didn’t truncate TextField on macOS. (53647517)
  • Fixed: Dragging an Image using draggable modifier no longer causes an app to freeze. (99157719)
  • Fixed: An App defined with a Window scene will no longer cause the window tabbing menu items to be displayed, nor will it participate in any window tabbing behavior. (100982500)
  • Fixed: Presentations in SwiftUI using the ‘sheet’ or ‘fullScreenCover’ modifier can now be dynamically presented again while a dismiss animation is in progress. Previously, attempting to present again in this case would do nothing.
    Note: A data race in app code that was previously ignored might cause a sheet to be presented again with this change. If this happens, check that your state isn’t triggering a new presentation. (101487810)
  • Fixed an issue on macOS where columns in Table might not be able to be resized. (101936572)
  • Fixed: When used as an auxiliary scene in a SwiftUI App, the Window scene will now behave as an auxiliary window with respect to Stage Manager and full screen mode. (102106455)
  • Fixed: List in .sidebar style now supports swipe actions. (103910772)
  • Fixed: List with DisclosureGroup now supports expand/collapse animations when isExpanded is set within a withAnimation block. (104923100)
  • Fixed: Table on macOS will now properly respond to scrollTo requests with dynamcially added rows as target IDs. (105579236)

SwiftUI Navigation

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: .navigationSplitViewColumn and .layoutPriority now control the widths of columns of a NavigationSplitView on macOS. Use the existing .windowResizability(.contentSize) scene modifier if needed to control the window’s size based off a root NavigationSplitView.
    struct MeasuredNavigationSplit: View { var body: some View { NavigationSplitView { Color.cyan .navigationSplitViewColumnWidth(min: 90, ideal: 100, max: 300) .layoutPriority(2) } content: { Color.pink .navigationSplitViewColumnWidth(ideal: 300, max: 400) .layoutPriority(3) } detail: { Color.yellow .navigationSplitViewColumnWidth(min: 200, ideal: 300) .layoutPriority(2) } }}
    (58333786)
  • Fixed: Navigation destinations nested within NavigationStack and NavigationSplitVieware detected more performantly and reliably, no longer logging update cycles. (97597634)
  • Fixed: Navigation destinations that present a new view on top of a NavigationSplitViewColumn (rather than pushing a view onto a stack in that column) no longer cause an assertion failure on iOS or infinite loop on macOS when the destination view is itself a NavigationStack.
    For example, the below construction is functional
    NavigationSplitView { SidebarView() .navigationDestination(isPresented: $present) { NavigationStack { ... } }} detail: { ... }
    (103278180)
  • Fixed: Navigation destinations with data dependencies captured from ancestor views update more reliably.
    struct DataDependentNavigation: View { @State var changeColor: Bool = false @State var present: Bool = false
    var body: some View { NavigationSplitView { Color.blue .navigationDestination(isPresented: $present) { // This is a data dependency from an ancestor view changeColor ? Color.green : Color.yellow } } detail: { Color.teal }}
    (103429535)

Task Manager

Resolved Issues

• Fixed an issue introduced in macOS Ventura 13.1 that caused the system to post excessive “Background Items Added” notifications after toggling items in System Settings > General > Login Items. Toggling items in macOS Ventura 13.2 doesn’t cause excessive notifications, but that release doesn’t automatically correct the issue inherited from macOS Ventura 13.1. (102352141)

Virtualization

Known Issues

• Installing macOS Ventura 13.3 beta on a virtual machine running on a Apple silicon Mac might result in a hang during setup. (105504504)
    Workaround: Use an existing installation of macOS Ventura and update to 13.3 beta via Software Update.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
God I hope they actually fix homekit. The geofencing automations are a complete mess for me since ios16, with lights constantly turning on and off at random thinking I've left or come home.

While they're at it... fixing imessage notifications that seem to get stuck nearly daily would also be nice. And trackpad gestures ceasing working at random. And hey maybe also address external display flickering that seems to plague lots of 3rd party monitors on Apple Silicon that never had issues on Intel machines.

But i'm sure the main updates will continue to be new emoji. :rolleyes:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
MacOS 13.3 beta 4
  • Safari Version 16.4 (18615.1.26.11.8)
  • System Firmware Version: 8422.100.650 (M1 based Macs)
  • Darwin Kernel Version 22.4.0: Mon Mar 6 22:31:41 PST 2023; root:xnu-8796.101.5~5/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 arm64
MacOS 13.3 beta 3
  • Safari Version 16.4 (18615.1.25)
  • System Firmware Version: 8422.100.645.0.1 (M1 based Macs)
  • Darwin Kernel Version 22.4.0: Tue Feb 28 22:25:54 PST 2023; root:xnu-8796.100.772.505.2~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 arm64

socialwill

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
Any word on platform SSO for macOS? Is this included in the 13.3 update or is this still in the works?

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
I'm mostly annoyed by Apple ignoring basic things like the size of Finder windows not being remembered, or the Image Capture app not being well-maintained. It also doesn't remember the window size. I have to resize it every darn time I open it!

And then backwards movement in other areas. For example, you used to be able to drag-and-copy keychain items from the 'login' keychain into the 'iCloud' keychain, but that no longer works. Super frustrating.
It's Apple at its finest.
The finder window size bug, I think it has more than 5 years, if not close to a decade being ignored.

macking104

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA

you are submitting feedback on those issues?

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2013

I agree, the window resizing is immensely annoying.
Given how interacting with the finder is 80% of the use of an OS, that's a pretty severe problem.

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY

It's Apple at its finest.
The finder window size bug, I think it has more than 5 years, if not close to a decade being ignored.
I want to say that bug has been around in some form since the original Mac OS X 10.0 in 2001. Same with views not being remembered for a folder despite the "always open in this view" checkbox being checked. At first you could chalk it up to being a quirk of a new operating system, now it's just laziness.

Reactions: nvmls

0xB0BACAFE

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2022
I see that QuickLook still hangs when previewing animated images like GIFs or APNGs. That's still…extremely annoying. This cropped up in the last beta.

goldnet

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2022
UK

I'm more bothered with serious bugs like broken SMB file sharing. I have been unable to move files between my laptop and desktop since the Ventura upgrade. A couple of posted workarounds have worked until one or other of the machines goes on standby then break again and don't work when reapplied.

Imagine if Windows stopped sharing

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
I'm more bothered with serious bugs like broken SMB file sharing. I have been unable to move files between my laptop and desktop since the Ventura upgrade. A couple of posted workarounds have worked until one or other of the machines goes on standby then break again and don't work when reapplied.

Imagine if Windows stopped sharing

Apparently it is fixed in b3, see the dedicated post... They are reporting it as fixed.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Beta 4 didn’t repeat the occasional panics playing streaming content from hosts as beta 2 and beta 3 did on my M1 iMac. Never had the issue on M1Max MBP. Thought it might be related to this Safari issue below that has been resolved in beta 4.
  • Fixed browser.webNavigation events firing for hosts where the extension didn’t have access. Extensions should request host permissions for sites to receive events. (100204850)
The overall OS seems slightly quicker also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.