Apple Seeds Fourth macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 Beta to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 23, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming macOS High Sierra update to developers, less than a week after releasing the third macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 beta and a month after releasing the new High Sierra operating system to the public.

The fourth macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 beta can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center or through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store with the proper profile installed.

[​IMG]

macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 focuses primarily on bug fixes, performance improvements, security enhancements, and other under-the-hood changes.

It includes a fix for a serious vulnerability in the WPA2 Wi-Fi standard that protects many modern Wi-Fi networks. Using a key reinstallation attack or "KRACK," attackers can exploit weaknesses in the WPA2 protocol to decrypt network traffic to sniff out sensitive information. This attack is not possible with the patch in macOS 10.13.1.

The update also introduces a range of new Unicode 10 emoji like crazy face, pie, pretzel, t-rex, vampire, exploding head, face vomiting, shushing face, love you gesture, brain, scarf, zebra, giraffe, fortune cookie, pie, hedgehog, and more. The new emoji are also available in iOS 11.1 and watchOS 4.1.

macOS High Sierra is a major update that introduces APFS, a new more modern file system, HEIF and HEVC photo and video encoding improvements for smaller file sizes without compromising quality, Metal 2, and several new features for Safari, like autoplay blocking for videos and Intelligent Tracking Prevention to better protect user privacy.

For more on what's new in macOS High Sierra, make sure to check out our macOS High Sierra roundup.

Update: There's a new public beta of macOS High Sierra 10.3.1 available for public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 Beta to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

2. MacProJJ macrumors newbie

MacProJJ

Did the public beta 3 ever come out?

3. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Another Emoji-lovefest by Apple. I would rather they spent their time fixing the many bugs instead!

4. itegypt macrumors 6502a

itegypt

5. Sharkoneau macrumors 6502a

Sharkoneau

Been having a major issue that I reported directly to a senior leader of the software team. Whenever I wake up my MBP from sleep (with password authenticated access enabled), it jumps immediately to the desktop. It happens so quickly you can't even put a password in if you tried; it's bypassed completely. Hopefully that's been patched here.

6. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It’s not either-or. It’s not like their emoji artists can fix bugs.

8. Miallo macrumors newbie

There is a difference between Developer-Beta and Public beta. The first beta version usually is only supplied to the Developers and therefore the DB-count is one higher than the public one.

9. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

They are currently on the same count and are exactly the same.

10. georgeedwardg macrumors newbie

georgeedwardg

I don’t believe so... well at least it didn’t show up for me. Can someone else here please confirm?

11. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

It was a full install. It WILL NOT show up as an update. You need to reinstall the beta profile and then it will pop up in the app store as a full install.

I think I may have typed this 100 times.

12. NagasakiGG macrumors member

My iPhone just got the fifth beta lol 4th came out yesterday or so

13. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

Is there any fix for 'Error Verifying Firmware' during installation as of yet?

14. Swift macrumors 68000

Swift

I don't know why, but there seems to have been a new tvOS as well. It offered itself Sunday. I noticed that my streaming slowed down and stopped. Guess what, the Network pane had to be redone. There and on the iPad that had just updated. A hassle, but I take this as a sign I'm no longer vulnerable to KRACK.

15. georgeedwardg macrumors newbie

georgeedwardg

101. :D

16. JesperA macrumors 6502a

Great, you have an iPhone that runs macOS, thats awesome dude

17. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

Best of all, it just works.

18. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Showed up as an update for me, in the updates tab of the App Store.......

19. mcomb macrumors newbie

Any word on RAID updates for APFS? Hoping that bootable RAID 0 APFS will make a return at some point.

20. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Ugh. I am talking about beta 3, not this one.

21. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

OK, apologies.

22. cgibson190 macrumors newbie

cgibson190

Yes, the Public Beta 3 came out the same way as the Dev Beta 3. You had to reinstall your beta profile, then the new build would download. I believe it showed up late last Monday or early last Tuesday. Like mentioned by others, the same as the developer beta, it was not available as an update.

23. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

I had to reinstall the beta profile too, and it showed up on its own dedicated beta page.

24. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Avenged110

I would imagine most people at Apple are capable of doing more than literally a single task.

25. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I didn't know we could now install MacOS High Sierra beta on iPhones. How did you do that?