Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming iOS 10.3 update to developers, two weeks after seeding the second beta of iOS 10.3 and more than a two months after the release of iOS 10.2, the last major update to the iOS 10 operating system.

Registered developers can download the third iOS 10.3 beta from the Apple Developer Center or over-the-air with the proper configuration profile installed.

iOS-10.3-beta-800x500.jpg

iOS 10.3 is a major update, introducing several new features and changes to the iOS 10 operating system. The biggest new consumer-facing feature is "Find My AirPods," which is designed to help AirPods owners locate a lost earphone. Find My AirPods records the last known location of when an AirPod was connected to an iOS device via Bluetooth and can play a sound on a lost AirPod.

Apple's latest update also introduces a new Apple File System (APFS), installed when an iOS device is updated to iOS 10.3. APFS is optimized for flash/SSD storage and includes features like strong encryption.

Apple plans to introduce some App Store changes in iOS 10.3, allowing developers to respond to customer reviews for the first time. iOS users are also able to label reviews in the App Store as "Helpful" or "Not Helpful," which should help surface the most relevant review content.

Apple also plans to limit the number of times developers can ask for a review, allow customers to leave app reviews without exiting an app, and provide a "master switch" that will let users turn off all app review request prompts (said to be included in beta 2).

Also new in iOS 10.3 is a redesigned app open/close animation, an Apple ID profile in Settings, a better breakdown of iCloud storage usage, improvements to SiriKit, and more. For a full rundown of the changes introduced in the first beta, make sure to check out our dedicated "What's New" post.

What's new in iOS 10.3 beta 3:

App Compatibility - In the Settings app, there's a new "App Compatibility" section that lists apps that may not work with a future version of iOS. Tapping on one of the apps opens it up in the App Store so you can see when it was last updated. As has been discovered in previous betas, opening one of these apps on your iOS device pops up a warning with a similar non-compatible statement. App Compatibility can be accessed by opening the Settings app and choosing General --> About. From there, scroll down to "Applications" and tap it.

appcompatibilityios103-800x707.jpg

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of iOS 10.3 to Developers

FRVRandAFTR

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2015
I can't find anything in detail when I do a Google search looking for all of the benefits of APFS. Someone with some expertise on the matter care to enlighten me? I see strong encryption in the article, but are there any other big benefits? Is this comparable to FAT32 migrating to NTFS?

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
6s Plus was having major battery drain on first two betas. Hoping they got the kinks worked out.

Same my battery has been dire. I can loose 30% in just over an hour doing little to nothing. Feels like I have my iPhone 4 with me. I am tempted to use a battery pack just to get through the day right now.

Don't care what they do apart from this but the battery needs fixing.

winmaciek

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2014
Poland/Ireland
I see two bugs fixed (loving songs works again and multitasking opening animation isn't broken anymore). Also, maybe it's placebo effect or something, but opening and closing folders seems much snappier and faster than in previous betas.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
For those of you with the beta, what does "easier navigation in threaded mail" mean? What changed?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I do believe the Music playing tab is now transparent. Seem to recall it being solid before..I think. Or maybe it's because I never use album view, but that's where I see it.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Can they add a feature that makes my iphone 6 Plus perform as well as it did a few ios 10 releases ago?

Last couple months the phone just lags when a couple things happen at the same time. For example, if talking on phone and an email comes in it just does not respond to input to wake up the screen etc.

Reactions: DotComCTO

MZ3Alex

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
I can finally copy home videos to my phone again. Not sure if this was fixed in 10.3b2 or 10.3b3 since I pretty much had given up with it. Glad to see it fixed though.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I can't find anything in detail when I do a Google search looking for all of the benefits of APFS. Someone with some expertise on the matter care to enlighten me? I see strong encryption in the article, but are there any other big benefits?

On iOS, you will see more efficient space usage and quicker disk operations. Apple keeps the system and user data on separate partitions. APFS volumes can share disk space between them dynamically, allowing Apple to give back some of the reserved space on the system partition (by how much and whether Apple will do this is not entirely clear though). APFS also makes file copying more efficient by not actually duplicating the whole data directly (and using twice the space), but by duplicating pointers to the same blocks instead and by writing only the changes to disk when changes are made. Copies therefore won’t use more space unless they are changed, and copy actions happen instantly, because no data is copied at the time a copy is made. APFS also handles meta data a bit differently and can give much quicker and current insight into space usage.

APFS is just better adapted to the actual usage of the file system and refactors some of the technologies that Apple inelegantly added to HFS+ over the years. On iOS itself, you probably won’t see any other direct benefits.

PierJes

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2016
Quebec, QC. Canada

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming iOS 10.3 update to developers, two weeks after seeding the second beta of iOS 10.3 and more than a two months after the release of iOS 10.2, the last major update to the iOS 10 operating system.

Registered developers can download the third iOS 10.3 beta from the Apple Developer Center or over-the-air with the proper configuration profile installed.

iOS-10.3-beta-800x500.jpg

iOS 10.3 is a major update, introducing several new features and changes to the iOS 10 operating system. The biggest new consumer-facing feature is "Find My AirPods," which is designed to help AirPods owners locate a lost earphone. Find My AirPods records the last known location of when an AirPod was connected to an iOS device via Bluetooth and can play a sound on a lost AirPod.

Apple's latest update also introduces a new Apple File System (APFS), installed when an iOS device is updated to iOS 10.3. APFS is optimized for flash/SSD storage and includes features like strong encryption.

Apple plans to introduce some App Store changes in iOS 10.3, allowing developers to respond to customer reviews for the first time. iOS users are also able to label reviews in the App Store as "Helpful" or "Not Helpful," which should help surface the most relevant review content.

Apple also plans to limit the number of times developers can ask for a review, allow customers to leave app reviews without exiting an app, and provide a "master switch" that will let users turn off all app review request prompts (said to be included in beta 2).

Also new in iOS 10.3 is a redesigned app open/close animation, an Apple ID profile in Settings, a better breakdown of iCloud storage usage, improvements to SiriKit, and more. For a full rundown of the changes introduced in the first beta, make sure to check out our dedicated "What's New" post.

What's new in iOS 10.3 beta 3:

App Compatibility - In the Settings app, there's a new "App Compatibility" section that lists apps that may not work with a future version of iOS. Tapping on one of the apps opens it up in the App Store so you can see when it was last updated. As has been discovered in previous betas, opening one of these apps on your iOS device pops up a warning with a similar non-compatible statement. App Compatibility can be accessed by opening the Settings app and choosing General --> About. From there, scroll down to "Applications" and tap it.

appcompatibilityios103-800x707.jpg

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of iOS 10.3 to Developers
[doublepost=1487616673][/doublepost]"App compatibility" is a nice touch.
But pretty much useless if developers has no intention updating their app.
Some app are rotting untouched in the AppStore since 2013..

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The ‘app compatibility’ section is something they should have done immediately, rather than alert dialogs. Apple seems to be getting really serious about these warnings, which may indeed point to a complete removal of the 32-bit libraries very soon.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
One app that's showing up in "app compatibility" for me is JBL Audio. This app is the only way to configure equalizer settings on a JBL speaker I have.

I've already tweeted JBL about this; hopefully they update the app. But it's a bit sad that Apple is basically forcing us to not be able to use certain apps anymore if the developers don't update them. The apps still work FINE, there's no reason to break them on purpose!

Reactions: S G
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.